Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,079,168 times

Advertisements

This won't be surprising to anyone, but I am kind of surprised at how accepting people seem to be nowdays about our state being assaulted with massive growth. Washington has always been a progressive state and I would expect people to be more understanding of the inevitable negative long-term consequencies of unchecked growth on our quality of life not to mention the environment.

Census: King County booming, but some state counties dying off | FYI Guy | Seattle Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:06 PM

6,321 posts, read 3,469,180 times
The reason King county is far ahead of other counties is because state money is concentrated there. Counties in Western Washington and the Peninsula are forgotten because they don't vote the same way as Seattle. No Rocket Science here, just facts.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,109,417 times
It is more than just state spending.

Federal gas tax dollars have been shifted from eastern Washington to western Washington. According to WASHDOT, far eastern Washington ONLY get 46 cents back for every dollar in state and federal gas taxes, and other transportation fees. So eastern Washington gas tax dollars land in the Puget Sound area.

Western Washington has a large military infrastructure which really helps. Military payrolls and expenses are major in the region.

Then there is BOEING.

When Barron's did an article on Federal corporate welfare spending they split the analysis into two sections. One was ALL FEDERAL corporate welfare programs such as farming, etc, etc. The other was BOEING. Yes, Boeing corporate welfare is equal to ALL OTHER CORPORATE WELFARE PROGRAMS. The date of the article was in the late 1990's, but given recent trends they might be over 50% these days.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,398,392 times
The reason state money is concentrated in King County and (Pierce and Snohomish Counties) is because that is where the majority of people and jobs are in the state.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,289,671 times
That's fine with me. I'm okay with sending some of tax dollars away to a far-away place (King County), never to be seen again. As long as that means that the rambling horde of civilization is concentrated in one small place, far away from me.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,847,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
That's fine with me. I'm okay with sending some of tax dollars away to a far-away place (King County), never to be seen again. As long as that means that the rambling horde of civilization is concentrated in one small place, far away from me.
I agree with this guy.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,184,450 times
52% of the state population lives in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. Also, roads in Eastern Washington are in much better condition and King County has the worst roads in the state.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,327,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
This won't be surprising to anyone, but I am kind of surprised at how accepting people seem to be nowdays about our state being assaulted with massive growth. Washington has always been a progressive state and I would expect people to be more understanding of the inevitable negative long-term consequencies of unchecked growth on our quality of life not to mention the environment.

Census: King County booming, but some state counties dying off | FYI Guy | Seattle Times
I must have already read my free articles for the month. The Times won't let me see this one.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM

2,810 posts, read 5,646,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post

We can't really control the growth- growth is people moving here, companies expanding as they grow larger and need more workers/facilities. We can't just close the borders and tell people to stop moving here, and we can't tell companies to stop growing.
I do wish we could stop more people from moving here, though, but I feel like a hypocrite saying that since I myself was a newcomer here 4 and a half years ago.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:28 AM

268 posts, read 368,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I must have already read my free articles for the month. The Times won't let me see this one.
While there are other browsers and other ways around this cookie problem, try opening a private browsing window in Firefox and then try the URL.

Last edited by Olympian2; 04-24-2014 at 01:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington