Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the extra long days we're having?
Yes 22 62.86%
No 12 34.29%
Don't care 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 PM

726 posts, read 1,369,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is on par with the seasonal changes in daylight experienced by most European countries and Canada that are at the same latitude or north of Seattle. Most of the population in the US lives at far southern latitudes by comparison- with very muted seasonal changes in daylight.
This is true. Something to think about when thinking what the last of the Neanderthals must have contended with while trying to survive the ice age in Europe.

As for us, I think it is a shocker to the transplants that come from states further south and have never experienced the extreme changes in day length for the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 AM

854 posts, read 1,141,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
This is true. Something to think about when thinking what the last of the Neanderthals must have contended with while trying to survive the ice age in Europe.

As for us, I think it is a shocker to the transplants that come from states further south and have never experienced the extreme changes in day length for the U.S.
It is!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:48 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,533,861 times
Smile I Love Them!

The long summer days have been the best part of living in Washington for me. It makes me happy, and I stay outside until dark as often as I can. Conversely, I find the dark, short winter days really brutal. So, it's s huge trade-off, but my love of summer has made it worth it, so far.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
The long summer days have been the best part of living in Washington for me. It makes me happy, and I stay outside until dark as often as I can. Conversely, I find the dark, short winter days really brutal. So, it's s huge trade-off, but my love of summer has made it worth it, so far.
Sounds like you might love life as a snowbird -- winter somewhere south and enjoy the long Washington days during the rest of the year. There are places in south Florida where the population triples come winter

Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
I am from Washington, and have always lived in Washington, so maybe I'm biased, but I love both the long summer days and the short winter days.

I love doing stuff outside constantly until 10:00 in the middle of summer, but then it's kind nice to have shorter winter days to hole-up and camp out on the couch for a few months, too.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is on par with the seasonal changes in daylight experienced by most European countries and Canada that are at the same latitude or north of Seattle. Most of the population in the US lives at far southern latitudes by comparison- with very muted seasonal changes in daylight.
Exactly.. Seattle is actually slightly south of Paris!

-----
I would not mind a little less change in day length.. Bit too much light in summer and not enough in winter... Oh well can not have everything..

Old 05-25-2014, 12:39 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,533,861 times
Can't afford to be a snowbird, I'll settle for a Happy Light!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Can't afford to be a snowbird, I'll settle for a Happy Light!
I once knew a lady snowbird on a fixed income (not very high). She traveled with her little dog twice a year in an old Volkswagen. Lived in a trailer on one end. She seemed really happy.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM

768 posts, read 719,264 times
Love the long, long daylight! It catches me off-guard sometimes, but that's okay. The flowers are beautiful right now, getting all that extra light .And with the longer days, comes warmer weather. Driving is easier especially since I'm relatively new and still finding my way around. It gets really, really dark sometimes in the winter up here. And many places have no street lights.

I would love to be a snowbird!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Snowbirding does have its appeal for sure The biggest con I see is that the snowbirds I know seem to always be trying to deal long distance with some type of maintenance on their property. Condos seem to work best for the secondary place but then you have to pay association fees and sometimes deal with a property manager who rents it out for you when you aren't there. Still, in Washington, going somewhere else for the winter, or at least part of it, seems like a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington