Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion of edible THC products
bad idea 6 13.95%
I don't see a problem as long as they are labeled 31 72.09%
legalization of marijuana in general was a huge mistake 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times

Advertisements

The more I think about it, the more I think that edibles are just a bad idea. I like the fact that pot has been legalized, as I find it to be no more problematic than alcohol, but I think these edibles are going to cause a lot of problems. I think the biggest problem is that one can eat an edible without knowing they've consumed a drug. Unlike alcohol, THC does't have a distinct taste, so unless you took it out of the packaging there's no way to know what it is. Make no mistake that people are going to get dosed with these products. What will start out as a harmless joke will end in a trip to the ER. As someone that used to smoke daily, I can say that edibles are almost like taking a completely different drug, and they're really easy to overdue for an inexperienced user. As much as I support the legalization of pot, I just don't think that any amount of labeling is going to prevent the problems that will come with edible THC products.

opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think that edibles are just a bad idea.
Although I have already voted in your poll, I am missing the point of your poll. It's not like the voters recently invented edibles.

Quote:
Make no mistake that people are going to get dosed with these products. What will start out as a harmless joke will end in a trip to the ER.
The Daily Currant that had an article about a similar problem in Colorado: Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado On First Day of Legalization - The Daily Currant (As an off-topic OMG, it seems that gluten has been found in Portland's water supply!)

And as cannabis is still a Schedule I Controlled Substance, such a "joke" could still be prosecuted Federally if there isn't a state law that could be used.

So my opinion is that either you are worrying too much about edibles, I am worrying too little about them.

Last edited by Olympian2; 06-29-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 06:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Although I have already voted in your poll, I am missing the point of your poll. It's not like the voters recently invented edibles.

It was either The Onion or The Daily Currant that had an article about that problem.

And as cannabis is still a Schedule I Controlled Substance, such a "joke" could still be prosecuted Federally if there isn't a state law that could be used.

So my opinion is that either you are worrying too much about edibles, I am worrying too little about them.
They're going to be available for purchase in a week. The point of the poll is to see how many people think this is a really bad idea.

When we voted on all this stuff, not too many people (including myself) were taking the notion of THC laced candy into consideration. The stuff is dangerous for the same reason LSD is dangerous; there is no way to know how much of the drug you just put into your body unless you were the one that took it out of the package or made the product. It makes a pretty harmless drug into something that can really mess someone up. I think it's counterproductive to the pro-pot movement. People that have never tried marijuana before are going to buy these products, try them once, and are going to get so high that they see hallucinations and never try it again because of the extreme anxiety they experienced with the drug. These people will then associate marijuana use with their extreme experience and become anti-pot.

I see what you're saying that these products weren't recently invented by voters, but most people that have little expierence with marijuana have never tried edibles that have been laced with pharmaceutical grade THC.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
Quote:
People that have never tried marijuana before are going to buy these products
That's what I was missing. You are concerned that with the state taking over the pot business from dealers and naturopaths that sales will increase. Search for something like "marijuana tobacco school children" and choose your article. Pot was already more popular with school children than cigarettes nationwide. Other searches find statistics for Washington and other West Coast states.

I do understand your concern about THC candy, but they've been handing out lollipops for a while now for "medicinal reasons".

Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
They're going to be available for purchase in a week. The point of the poll is to see how many people think this is a really bad idea.

When we voted on all this stuff, not too many people (including myself) were taking the notion of THC laced candy into consideration. The stuff is dangerous for the same reason LSD is dangerous; there is no way to know how much of the drug you just put into your body unless you were the one that took it out of the package or made the product. It makes a pretty harmless drug into something that can really mess someone up. I think it's counterproductive to the pro-pot movement. People that have never tried marijuana before are going to buy these products, try them once, and are going to get so high that they see hallucinations and never try it again because of the extreme anxiety they experienced with the drug. These people will then associate marijuana use with their extreme experience and become anti-pot.

I see what you're saying that these products weren't recently invented by voters, but most people that have little expierence with marijuana have never tried edibles that have been laced with pharmaceutical grade THC.
I have a relative in California, that went and got their medical card to try pot edibles to see if it would help with difficulty sleeping.. Person ended up stoned out of their gourd for 4 hours, then slept good. Was not a fun experience and not too interested in trying it again.

Yes, this supports your concern, and it would not take to much to sway me into feeling edibles should not be part of recreational pot, only medical pot. 1. Way to easy to get an overdose, primarily because of the delayed reaction. 2. The impairing effects of edibles lasts too long. Much longer than that of alcohol.

Matter of fact.. The more I think about it the worse I think the idea of edibles for recreation is!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM

719 posts, read 987,426 times
Legalization was a huge mistake.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Legalization was a huge mistake.
Less dangerous than alcohol.

But then again... Prohibition DOES NOT WORK... Been there done that...

Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Less dangerous than alcohol.

But then again... Prohibition DOES NOT WORK... Been there done that...
You can roll your eyes all you want -- it's just more typical Washington 'we know better than everyone else' behavior. Last time I checked, it was still illegal in 48 other states. Frankly, I'd be happy if every person associated with the stuff -- smokers or dealers -- was behind bars. I don't distinguish between degenerates.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
You can roll your eyes all you want -- it's just more typical Washington 'we know better than everyone else' behavior. Last time I checked, it was still illegal in 48 other states. Frankly, I'd be happy if every person associated with the stuff -- smokers or dealers -- was behind bars. I don't distinguish between degenerates.
No, it's not just typical Washington logic. The reason a majority of people in this country are okay with legalization is because most people are able to understand that MJ is much less harmful than alcohol. The thing that's dangerous about MJ is the fact that its illegal. Spending time and money locking people up, ruining lives and careers over a relatively benign (notice I didn't say harmless) substance seems like a waste to most of us, regardless of who uses.

I will give you credit, at least you're honest enough to attack the people that you *think* smoke pot, rather than try to substantiate why it's that bad and get slammed by most people on the threads. Most people so vehemently against it are either those that profit from it's illegality or curmudgeons that hate other people having a good time. So, kudos to you. At least you acknowledge your misguided hatred. But I assure you that you have no idea who does and who doesn't imbibe. And classifying them all as degenerates is hilariously naive. Many lawyers, doctors, and other businessmen and professionals partake. And here in Western CO, much of the traffic in local stores is older folks, and quite often, conservatives from UT. Hardly the "loser" image you clearly have in mind.

If you hate everything about MJ, you're going to really hate the next 20 years, especially in the west. If you want to see every person associated with it sent to jail, I would strongly suggest moving to places like OK or the deep south states, but even they're coming around, slowly but surely.

The sky isn't going to fall when it's available for retail sale in WA, and there may even be some positives. Most libertarians and even most conservatives here in CO understand that slightly reduced crime and increased revenue and jobs are a good thing.

Regarding edibles, I think they have their place. For a lot of people, the effects of edibles are preferred to smoking or vaporizing. it's not nearly the problem portrayed on the news networks. The two famous cases here also involved people that were also drunk, and in the case of the murder, crazy and on prescription pills. Media sensationalization aside, I agree with warnings on packaging, but it's up to people to read the warnings and know what they're ingesting. Edibles are different than smoking, so people need to read up and pay attention. They can be potent, but why would someone try a new substance without asking about the effects?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
No, it's not just typical Washington logic.
Yes, yes it is.

Quote:
I will give you credit, at least you're honest enough to attack the people that you *think* smoke pot, rather than try to substantiate why it's that bad and get slammed by most people on the threads.
Oh, I'm sorry, did you think I had to justify myself to you? Well, I don't. I believe, from the absolute bottom of my heart, that you belong in prison. And were it up to me, you'd be there, partaking in all of its most wholesome delights.

Quote:
Many lawyers, doctors, and other businessmen and professionals partake.
Specious reasoning at its finest. Because clearly -- clearly -- someone's career path determines whether or not they're a degenerate.

Quote:
The sky isn't going to fall when it's available for retail sale in WA, and there may even be some positives. Most libertarians and even most conservatives here in CO understand that slightly reduced crime and increased revenue and jobs are a good thing.
Quote:
I agree with warnings on packaging
Yes, that will obviously stop people from driving while under the influence, or, you know, murdering their loved ones in some stoned-out craze. The best part about you hippies is you've convinced yourselves that pot isn't just good, it's totally harmless, when the bulk of evidence that's come out for the past four decades has run directly counter to this. Pot's long-term effects are mentally debilitating, and it's short-term effects get perfect strangers killed.

You act as if I'm some kind of a hypocrite, but I don't applaud drunk driving either. And, in fact, I believe drunk drivers should be put in a cage and never see the light of day again. Zero tolerance laws would stop drinking and driving lickety split. We shouldn't be encouraging more morally ambiguous characters such as yourself to be taking their show on the road, and that is precisely what pot legalization accomplishes. You cannot control yourself, so you must be controlled forcibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington