Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 28,664 times

Advertisements

This was incredibly helpful. My husband and I retired in June 2014, and have traveled the US full-time in an RV while looking for a "final" place to live. We're from Republic, WA, about 2½ hours north of Spokane, and have lusted for a nicer, snow-less place to live for more than 40 years. We're currently in Casa Grande, AZ to check out land prices and feasibility. Unfortunately, we can't adapt to the hot, muggy summer weather. We're also having trouble working around the incredibly high land prices. Winter weather is superb...but we can't handle humidity after experiencing high levels in the southeast side of the country this last summer. So-o-o-o, we're back to the idea of returning to Washington - but preferably to an area that gets winter rain instead of snow, and beautiful summer weather. I've read a LOT of postings about Sequim, have done tons of research about the area, and have talked to a variety of former residents about the location. Online research says it's a great place to live in the winter because of its rain-shadow location...but I just spoke to a former Gig Harbor resident who says Sequim gets constant rain and fog from the first of September through the end of May. Land prices seem more reasonable and within our budget, and we've lived long enough in Washington to feel like we "fit" in. I do have a few more questions: Is winter really that dreary, wet and long? Are there occasional days of sunshine to relieve the dreariness? How close to the city should we build (on multiple acres) to stay within the rain shadow? If we have to drill a well for water, do you know the average depth, and the cost per foot? Is Sequim a nice place for retirees who love art, fine crafts, dogs, and museums? 'Tho we don't need it now, we might need a decent health facility in the future. Is there one nearby? Are there any good builders/contractors in or near Sequim? Is there a restrictive home style, or can we build something unusual? We plan to return to WA this summer to visit Sequim and determine whether or not to stay there through the coming winter.

Hopefully, our 5th wheel will be adequately warm enough to endure the winter temps. Anything you can add to your original posting will help us make that decision! In anticipation of good news, THANK you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Today...gray, oppressive low clouds, rain earlier. Total number of days with sun in 2015: 2. Amount of sun in those 2 days: less than 1 hr. Not a lot of rain, whole lot of gray gloom. Dreaming of summer.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmschwartz View Post
I do have a few more questions: Is winter really that dreary, wet and long? Are there occasional days of sunshine to relieve the dreariness? How close to the city should we build (on multiple acres) to stay within the rain shadow? If we have to drill a well for water, do you know the average depth, and the cost per foot? Is Sequim a nice place for retirees who love art, fine crafts, dogs, and museums? 'Tho we don't need it now, we might need a decent health facility in the future. Is there one nearby? Are there any good builders/contractors in or near Sequim? Is there a restrictive home style, or can we build something unusual? We plan to return to WA this summer to visit Sequim and determine whether or not to stay there through the coming winter.
A few quick answers to your questions:

How far to stay within the rain shadow? Actually you have a fair bit of leeway. PA/Sequim, Port Townsend, Anacortes, Whidbey Island, Anacortes, San Juan and Lopez Island etc. Here's the map that has been posted on this board several times:

Can the winters be dreary? Yes. Are they? Well, it depends. OK, here goes the mantra: When you're talking about a maritime climate such as western WA, less rainfall does not necessarily mean more sunshine. It simply means less annual rainfall. It can be equally gray here during the winter months as in the rest of the Puget Sound, just that it's not raining as hard here on that particular day as it is in say Olympia or Tacoma.

Do we get "sun breaks" during the winter? Yes. Are they enough to keep you personally sane during our dark, damp winter months? Dunno. That will depend upon you. For example, my wife thinks the winters here are dark and rainy (some winters being worse than others). Whereas I don't find them to be terribly so. Personal differences.

Well depth will depend upon where you are drilling. Some wells in the Sequim area about 50 feet deep whereas I've heard of a few (at higher elevations) in the neighborhood of 100-150 feet deep or deeper.

Is Sequim a nice place for retirees? Must be, there sure are lot's of them around here!

Health care? See the recent thread on C-D titled "Doctors/Hospitals".

Multiple builders in the area. They would all be happy to build you a house! Some of the planned developments here do have restrictive covenants.

You mentioned coming this summer. Might want to keep in mind that it's easy to like it here during our summer month or two. OTOH late fall, winter and spring months can be the weather times of year that bother people.

OK, that's my $0.02 for now. Good luck in your searching!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM

Thank you Dendrite. I foolishly assumed a rain shadow also provided sun. I got that same impression about Brookings, OR, where the Chetco effect supposedly drenches the area in sunshine while everyone else endures rain & fog. It never occurred to me that clouds can still swath the skies even 'tho rain isn't falling. I'll pass this on to my husband. We still plan to visit - and I know summers do not represent annual climate - just to research the area's views (HIGH priority), the land prices and sizes, the people (who are no different in personality than those we encountered in Republic), and the town's amenities. The well depth info you posted was COOL! Average well depths in AZ are 300'-400'. That adds about $45,000 to your land purchase price. Ouch. I think we can easily handle the maximum 150' estimate you provided! We're discussing the idea of staying through the winter to experience the weather. Maybe we'll meet you sometime during our stay!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,421 times
Quote:
Average well depths in AZ are 300'-400'.
400' wow!

Not wanting to derail the weather topic of this particular thread but something else to think about on the subject of Sequim and drilling a new well here is the Dungeness Water Rule. I'd recommend looking that up on your internet search engine as something to be aware of in doing your homework and thinking about where to relocate.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Stay in AZ Nov-March or April, then come to OlyPen, when it is glorious. Trust me on that, I am on my 5th year of figuring it out.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
400' wow!....
I have several wells in we_tern WA that are 400'. My neighbor has 3 dry holes at 750'. (& I get 100+ inches of drizzle / yr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Stay in AZ Nov-March or April, then come to OlyPen, when it is glorious. Trust me on that, I am on my 5th year of figuring it out.
Yes... that is similar to what I do. I have a rural retreat in TX, between San Antonio and Austin. It has a main house that is rented out FT and a cabin and shop and RV sites for me and my friends. I fly there for ~$100 each way, and keep a <$100 VW Diesel (50 mpg) there for me to use.

I got it for under $100k (as is my Columbia Gorge rural mini-farm)... 20 min to PDX Tax Free shopping, and ALL the medical / culture / food trucks you can imagine in Portland / Vancouver. I like my Columbia Gorge place cuz it gets more wind, seldom fog (often above the clouds and get SUNSHINE!, but much more volume of rain that Portland / Vancouver, due to elevation. (Not more days of rain, just heavier rain).

I moved a WA friend to Sierra Vista, one to nearby Willcox, (originally went to Elfrida), one to Prescott Valley, one to Mesa, and one to OroValley, AZ. After 5 yrs, not all are impressed (2 plan to return home, 2 plan to go elsewhere). I like Williams, AZ, but not well enough to move there. I keep a 20 mpg Class C motorhome for trips where I want an RV, otherwise it is my 50 mpg Passat station wagons running on free cooking oil (1200 miles / fill). They are getting hotwater heaters and showers so are 'mini-motorhomes.' I can tow a 'teardrop' and still get 44 MPG.

Besides trips to TX and Asia in PNW winter... I go to DEN and SLC. Also SF Bay area and SLO, CA
I take 'sunbreaks' from PDX to San Diego for $23.10 direct flight on Hobo Air (Spirit). Down at 6AM, return at midnight. No need for hotel or rental car (Airport is downtown and on beach / near oldtown).

For a reservation / recommendation on Sequim, try this place Gilgal Oasis RV Park, Sequim WA, Olympic Peninsula (no affiliation, just highly recommended). Peter and Dawn will give you the straight scoop. I stay with locals when traveling. I like to get the real 'local' information. (and what it is like to LIVE there)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-11-2015 at 12:32 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 11:57 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Quote:
This was incredibly helpful. My husband and I retired in June 2014, and have traveled the US full-time in an RV while looking for a "final" place to live. We're from Republic, WA, about 2½ hours north of Spokane, and have lusted for a nicer, snow-less place to live for more than 40 years. We're currently in Casa Grande, AZ to check out land prices and feasibility. Unfortunately, we can't adapt to the hot, muggy summer weather. We're also having trouble working around the incredibly high land prices. Winter weather is superb...but we can't handle humidity after experiencing high levels in the southeast side of the country this last summer. So-o-o-o, we're back to the idea of returning to Washington - but preferably to an area that gets winter rain instead of snow, and beautiful summer weather. I've read a LOT of postings about Sequim, have done tons of research about the area, and have talked to a variety of former residents about the location. Online research says it's a great place to live in the winter because of its rain-shadow location...but I just spoke to a former Gig Harbor resident who says Sequim gets constant rain and fog from the first of September through the end of May. Land prices seem more reasonable and within our budget, and we've lived long enough in Washington to feel like we "fit" in. I do have a few more questions: Is winter really that dreary, wet and long? Are there occasional days of sunshine to relieve the dreariness? How close to the city should we build (on multiple acres) to stay within the rain shadow? If we have to drill a well for water, do you know the average depth, and the cost per foot? Is Sequim a nice place for retirees who love art, fine crafts, dogs, and museums? 'Tho we don't need it now, we might need a decent health facility in the future. Is there one nearby? Are there any good builders/contractors in or near Sequim? Is there a restrictive home style, or can we build something unusual? We plan to return to WA this summer to visit Sequim and determine whether or not to stay there through the coming winter.

Hopefully, our 5th wheel will be adequately warm enough to endure the winter temps. Anything you can add to your original posting will help us make that decision! In anticipation of good news, THANK you!
I was married in Republic Washington to a Republic girl and inherited 20 acres along the Sanpoil river just south of Republic.

One: Sequim does not get constant rain and fog any time of the year...
Two: you have to remember that Sequim and the surrounding area is a marine time climate, of course we get clouds during the winter. But due to the rain shadow we get a lot less than any other part of the Peninsula.
Three: almost all the Dungness valley is included in the rain shadow.
Four: In Sequim it is not wet or dreary. Again I repeat its a marine time climate.
Five: I am not sure as the depth of wells as we are in the city and on city water but I do know the water table is high.
Six: Sequim has many venues for art, music, community playhouse, dog park, Community gardens, outdoor markets and a lot of museums in the overall area. There is also a senior center and I understand a new one being built east of town.
Seven: The Olympic Medical Center (OMC) including a top rated cancer center in the heart of town and also a tribal heath center which very popular and open to all.
Eight: lot of outstanding builders are in the area. Jamestown built my house and I am very pleased. I know of no restrictions unless you build in an area like Sunland.
Nine: It does not get cold enough to worry about winter weather. Seldom gets below 30 and hardly ever above 80.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Hey Rantiquity! Thanks for your information - and your knowledge of our former home (on Sherman Pass just downhill from the Indian gift ship). You know what I mean when I say rain is easier to handle than snow. After reading a lot of the Sequim posts, I questioned our decision to return to WA in May ('gotta renew our driver licenses in person - darn). You have reinforced our plan to visit Sequim, and possibly stay through the winter to experience the weather. The well-drill info was also very helpful, and reading that water levels are higher than AZ eases our fear of spending most of our home budget on a well. We've visited most of the towns/cities on the west side of WA over the past forty years, so we're pretty familiar with everything there except the winter weather. Can't wait to check out the views shown in photographs on CD's main page for Sequim. Since we are somewhat reclusive (although friendly), we're really hoping we can find a rural location of multiple acres to build on. The prices we see for land on Zillow are reasonable, so now our excitement soars. Hopefully, we can easily withstand a wet winter in exchange for a glorious Fall, Spring and Summer!

Old 02-11-2015, 02:57 PM

Gray again today, no sun in Port Angeles. There has been only 2 days in 2015 with any sun...each time less than 2 hours. Very dark, low clouds. This is to establish a history, no flaming, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington