Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times

Advertisements

After driving through Tacoma recently, looking past the depressing feel of the urban center, I came to realize the potential that lies within the city. Do any of you see a bright future for Tacoma? Redevelopment of the urban neighborhoods? Complete re-planning of the downtown area? I personal think Tacoma, with it's size and location on the sound has all the potential in the world if someone would invest in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
Tacoma and Everett could both have very bright futures, but there won't be much investment in them as long as the residents refuse to tax themselves to make the necessary improvements to spur growth.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
I think it goes beyond higher taxes. Tacoma, and somewhat Everett, have a perception of being 2nd class cities within the State of Washington. High crime and lower income combine to bring the reputations of these two cities down. Higher taxes is not necessarilly the answer.

I do believe as Seattle/Bellevue becomes more and more expensive, Tacoma and Everett will benefit. Not by higher taxes, but by allowing greater density and encouraging urban development. Lynnwood has a plan to build a mid-rise district downtown, but so far, not much as happened. Everett and Tacoma should also open up high-rise zoning and allow less restrictive development. This would be much more attractive than higher taxes, which only push people OUT of cities.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
They both need to attract white collar business for that to happen. As is, they're just far flung commuter suburbs.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Tacoma and Everett could both have very bright futures, but there won't be much investment in them as long as the residents refuse to tax themselves to make the necessary improvements to spur growth.
As for Downtown I think Hill top remains an Achilles hell for the city. The Ruston Way Waterfront is being redeveloped though! The Tacoma Dome remains as an Eye sore.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think it goes beyond higher taxes. Tacoma, and somewhat Everett, have a perception of being 2nd class cities within the State of Washington. High crime and lower income combine to bring the reputations of these two cities down. Higher taxes is not necessarilly the answer.
Russel Investments is actually the perfect example of this. It originated long ago in Tacoma and developed greatly in Tacoma. As its become such a global company, they decided that relocating to Seattle would reflect better on the company. Tacoma doesn't have the (national/international) cachet that Seattle does; its not even regarded highly by Washingtonians.

Tacoma needs to rebrand its image. There's already a grassroots movement going on, but its a slow on-going process for Tacoma. Even Hill Top isn't as bad as it was before and has a very enthusiastic community that's working to improve it.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 PM

One thing about Tacoma Too is they already have some attractions in place like the Car museum, Museum of Glass, Waterfront. Downtown is a ghost town. They have plenty of good theaters there. I would like to see if redeveloped for more retail and attractions there, that lead into the waterfront and Point Defiance park, 2 of there best attractions imo.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM

229 posts, read 337,493 times
I moved to Tacoma even after reading many people on this forum tell me to steer clear unless I liked car jacked or robbed as part of my daily schedule. While it's not perfect it's not as bad as people keep saying and definitely has potential to get even better. I find most people who give Tacoma the more negative press have never been here, heard it second hand, moved to the wrong area by accident or just plainly never high on diversity so they enjoy the vanilla suburbs more, which to each their own.

I find Tacoma to have great potential with its diversity, lots of variety of foods, stores, and things to do. Areas are being improved (just off S Alaska St by Wapato Park they have invested thousands into making the area look 100% different than just two years ago) and other restoration projects I see popping up even into Lakewood to the city is making it even more appealing, even if at a slower pace than some may want. I find most people in the area are friendly or at least will be if you initiate a smile and convo and although I have to move of WA due to SAD I will NEVER steer anyone away from the area when asked in the future.

The only few things I think needs to be improved is traffic close to the dome which bottlenecks regardless the time of day, street improvements since there seems to be terrible pot holes on many streets and something they cannot control... certain flight paths from military planes which sometimes makes you feel like you're in the movie Red Dawn. But besides those things I see Tacoma as a great city that will only get better as city leaders learn how to improve without taxing to death the people who really do try to make this city a gem.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
They both need to attract white collar business for that to happen. As is, they're just far flung commuter suburbs.
Attracting businesses from the green collar industry would be helpful as well.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Strange, I was just walking through downtown Tacoma yesterday and felt that the downtown, although not vibrant, is looking quite upbeat and renovated. Also, downtown Tacoma to me has much more charm than downtown Seattle with all the restored, old buildings. Tacoma's downtown truly has some soul to it, whereas downtown Seattle feels quite a bit more sterile and just "big city West Coast USA" like to me. Also, I was surprised at how clean is downtown Tacoma and it felt secure with all the patrols. Actually, I felt like downtown Seattle was more sketchy than downtown Tacoma, with some of the transients that seem to hang out in downtown SEattle. Not that downtown Seattle is bad, even my home town of Portland has a sketchier downtown than either of the two cities, although Portland is improving too. Also, the skyline in Seattle is quite majestic over the Sound, but once you are in the downtown it's not as exciting. Lots of newly developed skyscrapers and commercial buildings. I've been told by long term residents, Seattle has destroyed a lot of it's historic buildings to build new development to cater to all the outsiders who are flocking to the city.

I think Tacoma is on the upbeat. Don't be fooled by Grit City's grit.. Grit City has a lot of hidden charm behind the old gritty buildings. Seriously, I am surprised at the amount of art, bars, shops, night clubs I am seeing around Tacoma. Also, the views form the downtown of Tacoma equally rival Seattle's, with giant Mount Rainier towering in the background of the city. Mount Rainier looks so tiny from Seattle.

I will agree the Port of Tacoma and the factories are a bit of an eyesore, but in the same way, they give Tacoma its blue collar charm. If you look at Tacoma as like an old Midwestern City rather than a sterile Pacific Northwest city, full of strip malls and new development, then you will see that Tacoma actually is quite a nice city and historical.

By the way yesterday I saw the largest totem pole in the world which is currently housed in a park in downtown Tacoma. It is an awesome site to behold and part of the city's history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington