Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 8,463 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me on the requirement distance between the intersection on where a camera photo enforced is applicable. My friend/roommate travels to Washington for work about once a month and he got cited and he can not find any law or information on what the distance is for signage? Can anyone provide me any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Signage? They have to post signs? I think that motorist know there is a camera because you can see it perched up on top of the stop light pole.

Also, drivers should stop for red lights even when there isn't a camera.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yeah I remember back in Ohio they had signs letting you know that there was photo enforcement in place. I think that was more of a courtesy warning, not a requirement. I have not seen that here in WA. Other than on the bridge going into Oregon where it says Traffic Laws are photo enforced...and just applies that to the whole state.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:21 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
In Wenatchee, the red light cameras all have signage warning that they are there. I have no idea what the legal requirements of this are, though.

As oregonwoodsmoke said, the easy way to not have to worry about it is to actually stop at red lights. The law requiring you to STOP at a red light is pretty much universal.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLVCollegeGuy View Post
Can anyone tell me on the requirement distance between the intersection on where a camera photo enforced is applicable. My friend/roommate travels to Washington for work about once a month and he got cited and he can not find any law or information on what the distance is for signage? Can anyone provide me any information
RCW 46.63.170 covers this issue.

Long story short: the state has a standard for signage but it only applies to cities of a certain size OUTSIDE of King County. For the most part, there is no guideline covering distance for signage; the signage only has to follow general WSDOT guidelines covered in chapter 47.36 RCW. Note that the state has no specific distance requirements of signage; that detail is left up to the individual municipality.

The state does not govern King County municipalities at all. If the red light ticket was from a municipality in King County, the municipalities each have individual rules for their respective areas. That is to say, Renton's rules are different from Seattle's rules which are different from Kent's rules. If you are a driver in King County, be advised that no standard state law applies to King County municipalities. So, if you are driving in multiple cities, you need to be aware of multiple standards.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Easy solution...just stop at the red light and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket. l feel no compassion for anyone who gets nailed with a ticket for running a red light be it on camera or witnessed by the police.... putting other people lives in danger is not cool.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
So your friend apparently is trying to weasel out of paying the fine. He should just pay it and consider it a refresher course in what a red light means. If the city paid to put a camera at that intersection, then obviously a lot of people were running the light.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
This thread prompted a question in my head. Are camera tickets also sent for not stopping for yellow lights if the car is a certain distance from the light and depending on posted speed when it turns from green to yellow?

Just curious. I practice slowing/stopping for yellows unless it's a hard stop.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
This thread prompted a question in my head. Are camera tickets also sent for not stopping for yellow lights if the car is a certain distance from the light and depending on posted speed when it turns from green to yellow?

Just curious. I practice slowing/stopping for yellows unless it's a hard stop.
I can tell you that, when I lived in Wenatchee, I was never cited for running one of the red light camera intersections, but there was a time or two that I was pretty worried that I would be, because I decided to race the yellow.

So no, I don't think that the camera takes the picture until it there is incontrovertible evidence that you are in the intersection when the light is red.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah I remember back in Ohio they had signs letting you know that there was photo enforcement in place. I think that was more of a courtesy warning, not a requirement. I have not seen that here in WA. Other than on the bridge going into Oregon where it says Traffic Laws are photo enforced...and just applies that to the whole state.
All traffic lights in Seattle area that have cameras have warning signs. The same with school zone speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington