Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
What I never understood....is why the state is called the Evergreen State.

My daughter was four when we were crossing back into Washington at Biggs, Oregon. She read the sign..."Welcome to Washington the Evergreen State"" and asked why Washington was called the Evergreen State when it is always brown?

She was 18 when we moved her over to western Washington for school in Seattle. Wow, it is green there and it rains a LOT!!

Your right....western Washington is pretty drab and non-descript.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed;
Yeah when we got here it was 109, grass was all brown and crunchy, and there were wildfires everywhere. And we moved into a rental house with no a/c. Quite the introduction to the cool and rainy pnw.

WA is called "Evergreen" because of the climate/greenery on the WEST side of the state. Same with Oregon: very green on the west side. Maybe the state borders should be redrawn, so that the west side of both states would be one single state, called "Evergreen", and the desert side of both would be one single state called, "Dry, brown and crunchy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,075,327 times
Nah, we need to rename the state to the "Sun and Sage State".

You had Evergreen for a hundred years.....now it is our turn.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,737,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
WA is called "Evergreen" because of the climate/greenery on the WEST side of the state. Same with Oregon: very green on the west side. Maybe the state borders should be redrawn, so that the west side of both states would be one single state, called "Evergreen", and the desert side of both would be one single state called, "Dry, brown and crunchy".

Huh, dry brown crunchy...granola?!!!! Wrong polical image.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,975,665 times
Yeah, come October when the rain and clouds come back it seems like a death over the city. Its tough and don't underestimate how brutal it can be.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 AM

17,367 posts, read 12,321,062 times
Quote:
No...the west side is what I meant. What with the drought and record heat last year.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 AM

24 posts, read 47,206 times
Oh my goodness, where do I start?

I'm originally from New York, 50 miles east of Manhattan. Long Island area.
Things I hated about NY: Humidity all year round. Biting cold in the winter. Hot and humid nights in the summer. Impossible to sleep when it's 87 degrees and humid at 2 in the morning. It's air conditioning country. Dry days are okay. Everything goes dormant. 12 inches or more of snow in one shot.

What do I miss? Bagels, pizza, the Atlantic ocean. But if I ever go back it will be too soon.

So now we've been in Bellingham for 2 years. Two winters in - no snow. The grass stays green. Lots of green. Got proper rain gear. Believe it or not, Bellingham, WA gets the same amount of rain as my former home in NY. It's just more concentrated in the late fall and winter months. The cloudiness can be a real downer for many. I keep busy and before you know it, the rain has slowed down. Not so much brown in summer here. Let the lawn go dormant to not waste water but I do water the trees and shrubs as little as possible. The warmer it gets, the less humidity there is. It cools down quickly at night. Etc., etc.

Everywhere you go, you can find something wrong. I choose to be positive and so far it's working.

Another great day on tap. Go out and grill!!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 AM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No...the west side is what I meant. What with the drought and record heat last year.

Well, it was plenty green when I was there in September, last year. The monsoon didn't start until around Oct. 12, though light drizzle began about a week earlier.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,437,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy59 View Post
Oh my goodness, where do I start?

I'm originally from New York, 50 miles east of Manhattan. Long Island area.
Things I hated about NY: Humidity all year round. Biting cold in the winter. Hot and humid nights in the summer. Impossible to sleep when it's 87 degrees and humid at 2 in the morning. It's air conditioning country. Dry days are okay. Everything goes dormant. 12 inches or more of snow in one shot.

What do I miss? Bagels, pizza, the Atlantic ocean. But if I ever go back it will be too soon.

So now we've been in Bellingham for 2 years. Two winters in - no snow. The grass stays green. Lots of green. Got proper rain gear. Believe it or not, Bellingham, WA gets the same amount of rain as my former home in NY. It's just more concentrated in the late fall and winter months. The cloudiness can be a real downer for many. I keep busy and before you know it, the rain has slowed down. Not so much brown in summer here. Let the lawn go dormant to not waste water but I do water the trees and shrubs as little as possible. The warmer it gets, the less humidity there is. It cools down quickly at night. Etc., etc.

Everywhere you go, you can find something wrong. I choose to be positive and so far it's working.

Another great day on tap. Go out and grill!!
Interesting OP...I believe he/she is from Truth or Consequences NM if the zip on his/her bio is correct.

Truth or Consequences NM get more rain than Yakima or the Tri-cities and just a little less than Spokane or Sequim...but please remember most of Western Washington is influenced by Marine time weather, so duh...rain. Truth or Consequences NM? What gets me is NM has a hot summer and cold winter and brown high desert climate almost all year around and he/she is complaining about Washington State rain...priceless.

Quote:
The climate of New Mexico is generally semi-arid to arid, though there are areas of continental and alpine climates, and its territory is mostly covered by mountains, high plains, and desert.
New Mexico Weather and Climate - Bing

Quote:
An oceanic climate (also called "west coast marine climate") predominates in western Washington, and a much drier semi-arid climate prevails east of the Cascade Range.
washington state weather and climate - Bing

Eastern Washington is not all desert in fact, beside government/military owned land, with the irrigation and along the Columbia River and numerous lakes it stay green most of the winter and spring and is also quite green along the border with Idaho. The eastern slope of the Cascades is also quite green most of the year....The Northern half of Eastern Washington stay green all year around. The fact is the only place that dries out is across the middle which is due mostly old lava flows.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:59 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,437,802 times
Quote:

Well, it was plenty green when I was there in September, last year. The monsoon didn't start until around Oct. 12, though light drizzle began about a week earlier.
It stay green all year around where I live and we only get about 16 inches of rain a year......

Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,075,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post

Eastern Washington is not all desert in fact, beside government/military owned land, with the irrigation and along the Columbia River and numerous lakes it stay green most of the winter and spring...................................... .
Desert is usually defined as less than 10 inches or rainfall. By that standard there are almost 10 million square miles of desert in Washington state. This compares to the Mohave Desert in California which is 25 million square miles.

Thanks to Franklin Roosevelt you can have a desert and have it green with plenty of lakes and water.

So about 15% of Washington state is true desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington