Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,144 times

Advertisements

Would someone comment on the current situation regarding noise from the "growler" planes out of Whidbey Island? Is it a sometimes thing, an all time thing, any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 03:06 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
The Navy flies those JETS, not planes, when and where they feel like it. Mostly on Monday through Thursday, any time of day or night. More often in summer than winter. Sometimes out of NAS, sometimes out of OLF, so noise level affects different areas. They also vary how they fly. There is the "normal" loud flight and then there is the "Have to shout so that someone right next to me and indoors can hear what I say" noise level. Whidbeyites have measured dB of more than 110 INSIDE their houses.

They do not fly every day.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Unlike commercial airports that publish their regular and backup flight paths, living anywhere near a fighter jet base is a gamble because it could change at any time and there is little that can be done other than move.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I asked my friend on Orcas Island if they fly over the islands much, and she said -- not a lot, but when they do, the ground vibrates or shakes.

For awhile, they were taking off and landing outside of Sequim, and I heard that some people moved away due to the intolerable noise.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:30 AM

436 posts, read 570,847 times
Now that will mess with your housing market prices. Good to know, thank you.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,144 times
Thanks you all for the info. This has been helpful. I am really sensitive to noise so I don't think I will chance it.
OP

Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For awhile, they were taking off and landing outside of Sequim, and I heard that some people moved away due to the intolerable noise.
Where does the military take off and land outside of Sequim? And please tell me where anyone can move away from jet noise or that matter any aircraft noise?

I get more noise from the neighbors dogs barking than I do from jet aircraft.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Where does the military take off and land outside of Sequim? And please tell me where anyone can move away from jet noise or that matter any aircraft noise?

I get more noise from the neighbors dogs barking than I do from jet aircraft.
There are videos on Youtube of the growlers using an airstrip somewhere near Sequim, and residents tracking the decibel level.

This isn't about ordinary jet noise. This is about the new Growlers.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebed View Post
Thanks you all for the info. This has been helpful. I am really sensitive to noise so I don't think I will chance it.
OP
I've been told that it's rare that they fly over Pt Townsend. People say they fly over the water, not the town. But I don't think one can assume that won't change in the future. There's been a fair amount of local activism on the issue, meetings with local representatives to Congress, and so forth, but nobody with any authority wants to try to tell the military what to do and what not to do. That's what I'm told.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are videos on Youtube of the growlers using an airstrip somewhere near Sequim, and residents tracking the decibel level.

This isn't about ordinary jet noise. This is about the new Growlers.
I think you need to check that location.....there are no landing area near Sequim that could accommodate a Growler. The nearest landing areas that could accommodate a Growler are either in PA (which I doubt they land there either) or on Whidbey, which is their home base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington