Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:37 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlake View Post
Thanks Tall Traveler, that's good Intel. Can you please give me a more realistic budget? I don't mind going a little higher, but would have to live somewhere my wife would be able to make a decent income. What is average pay in the area? She has a bachelors degree and 10 years management experience. What is the availability of good work? Thanks again for your time
I would say $250K on your house budget. The economy in Tri Cities is strong and pay is about national average if not a bit higher....definitely higher than Amarillo. I say West Richland might fit the bill for you given what I've heard....at least take a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times
For decent schools, look at Richland, West Richland, and west Yakima (West Valley).

Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Blake, there are a lot of dairies around Prosser, the schools there have a decent reputation, I like the area. One actual data point is that at least one of the big milk hauling outfits has its HQ in Sunnyside.

I *think* a location around Prosser would minimize your travel time to get to most dairies around.

Prosser does have some artsy restaurants, Chukar Cherries candy company, etc.

At the end of the day, you need to come out here and check out the area from Tri Cities to Yakima. There are good and bad points to every location between them. You have to see it for yourself, and make your own call.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 16,554 times
Thanks for all your input

Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM

75 posts, read 73,474 times
I live in the tri cities, housing is in short supply, rentals also. There seems to be a migration of people to Washington. I am moving, great scenery and open spaces. The tri-cities is brown hills on wide rivers. Very hot in the summer, little shade. Pasco is half Hispanic which I love. Why? great Mexican restaurants and cheap produce. The Hispanic culture is the friendliest with great family values. Richland is mostly white people and a nuclear power plant. I don't go into Richland. The white people I meet in Washington are boring and robotic. Bring friends. Kennewick is blue collar and okay. I grew up in the Midwest so I am used to more of a community. Don't expect Washington natives to stop by with a homemade hot dish. Its not in them. Just my opinion. More people here on disability and no grand parents rights. There is a reason we have legal pot here. Its just a flakey state.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:38 AM

6 posts, read 9,973 times
I can speak I favor of Prosser. My dad was a teacher and when relocating to the valley, he checked all the schools nearby eventually choosing Prosser based on schools. If you like football, Prosser high school has a winning program and goes to state regularly. It's got a small town vibe but with options for those who like arts (theater company, music space) lots of churches of different varieties and various living area whether horse heaven hills, in town, or near Whitstran. It also doesn't smell like a dairy the way Sunnyside does. There is a distinct grape harvest smell in the fall though. There are lots of community events including a hot air balloon festival. Living in Prosser puts you at one hour drive from Yakima and 30 minutes from Tri Cities for your big grocery trips (WinCo or Costco). There is a Safeway I. Neighboring Grandview (10 miles or so away) and a Walmart in Sunnyside 20 minutes) and in Tri Cities.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batemansbay View Post
I live in the tri cities, housing is in short supply, rentals also. There seems to be a migration of people to Washington. I am moving, great scenery and open spaces. The tri-cities is brown hills on wide rivers. Very hot in the summer, little shade. Pasco is half Hispanic which I love. Why? great Mexican restaurants and cheap produce. The Hispanic culture is the friendliest with great family values. Richland is mostly white people and a nuclear power plant. I don't go into Richland. The white people I meet in Washington are boring and robotic. Bring friends. Kennewick is blue collar and okay. I grew up in the Midwest so I am used to more of a community. Don't expect Washington natives to stop by with a homemade hot dish. Its not in them. Just my opinion. More people here on disability and no grand parents rights. There is a reason we have legal pot here. Its just a flakey state.

I like Yakima for one of the same reasons you like Pasco. I like living in a city that is 50% Hispanic. I say that as a non Hispanic white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington