Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:35 PM

67 posts, read 80,418 times

Advertisements

*This thread is not about anyone’s opinion of the breed*

I’ve got a job offer in Olympia and I’m all set to accept and make the move, but I own a pitbull. I’ve checked probably 40 apartment complexes and property mgmt companies in a 30 mile radius and I’m no further than where I started. I’m well aware of how insurance companies feel about the breed, but I’m not going to abandon my pet. Even CL has been a bust. I’ve got messages out to some local pitbull rescues to see if they have ideas. Anyone have suggestions for a mgmt company, apt complex, or hell even a trailer park that will work with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:59 AM

9 posts, read 12,347 times
I feel for you Jason as my husband and I are in the same position. He is currently living in Washougal (In a 5th wheel friendly park), and working in Portland while I sell the house in Nevada. We have a rescue pittbull mix, and have been looking for something to rent for 11 months with no luck. We plan on buying as soon as I join him, but not really sure how that can happen since it seems she's not welcome anywhere.

By the way, my hubby started out the first 5 months in Olympia with the same results.....hoping someone can answer this question.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I would look on craigslist or local facebook groups for private landlords renting homes or duplexes in the area... look in the wider area too, Rochester, Shelton, McCleary, Tenino... All commutable distances to be able to afford a place where you can have a yard and your dog.

I don't do rentals or have any inside knowledge of any available, but I run one local facebook group that might have something... look there or post your own wanted ad:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175309645926023/

Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I only have two suggestions.

Call the local humane society and see if they have a list of landlords who will accept pitbulls or pit crosses.

Buy your own home. Look around. In some parts of the PNW, there are old mobile homes on their own land outside the town boundaries. They tend to sell for just the value of the land. You might be able to find one of those. Or just take out a mortgage for a house with no HOA.

It's better to rent and look around when you first move to a new area, but if you can't find anything to rent, the renting option is off the table.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
Not a big deal, it is no longer a pitbull. Make sure they know that it is in fact a American Staffordshire Terrier. Truthfully. Not a pitbull. American Staffordshire Terrier, no big deal, if they allow dogs why would they have a problem with a American Staffordshire Terrier.

American Staffordshire Terrier

Old 06-03-2018, 04:19 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Buy your own home. Look around. In some parts of the PNW, there are old mobile homes on their own land outside the town boundaries. They tend to sell for just the value of the land. You might be able to find one of those. Or just take out a mortgage for a house with no HOA.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true

Old 06-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's better to rent and look around when you first move to a new area, but if you can't find anything to rent, the renting option is off the table.
That’s some logic... I’m only interested in renting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Not a big deal, it is no longer a pitbull. Make sure they know that it is in fact a American Staffordshire Terrier. Truthfully. Not a pitbull. American Staffordshire Terrier, no big deal, if they allow dogs why would they have a problem with a American Staffordshire Terrier.
Give me a break, people aren’t that naive.

The hits just keep on coming.

All I’m interested in is potential all-breed apartment complexes or property managers and I’d like this thread to be useful for others who are in the same situation as me (there are too many, unfortunately, like karee70 above).

Old 06-03-2018, 06:25 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
I don't have a solution, but I am curious about something.

What is your current housing situation? Do you have a landlord now? What have you done in the past for housing with a pitbull in the mix?

FWIW, you might have to pass up the job offer and just stay right where you're at and consider yourself lucky to have an arrangement that works, if you can't live w/o the pitbull.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:57 PM

I live in an apartment complex w/no breed restrictions in NC. Pitbulls are restricted across the board here just like everywhere else, but there are 2 apt complexes and 1 property mgmt company here that have no restrictions. Prior I owned a house so it wasn’t a problem.

It’s a setback but it won’t break me.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 12,347 times
We found an ad on craigslist for recreational property to rent, but as soon as we informed them we had a pitbull mix we never heard from them again. Trying to find a rental for several months until we find a home to buy is looking almost impossible at this point. Are you a member of any classified sites in your area Jason?

I joined several and have come across a few here and there, but they get rented pretty quick, and tend to be in less than desirable neighborhoods.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington