Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about wild blackberry plants?
I don't care for them but don't want widespread removal 0 0%
I hate them-eradicate them safely 13 30.95%
I don't care 0 0%
I like them 9 21.43%
I love them 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The berries are good, the plants suck and aren't worth it for the berries. Invasive, nasty, thorny, grow like mad, take over any open space, definitely not worth the trouble for the berries.
This sums it up well.

Don’t forget birds love the abundance of berries, too—purple bird poop everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I love wild blackberries. Can't beat their taste this time of year.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 AM

4,174 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
This sums it up well.

Don’t forget birds love the abundance of berries, too—purple bird poop everywhere!
Yeah, pooping out the darn seeds so they sprout everywhere. I'm serious, if you have a yard go over it every week looking for those seedlings to dig up. Because if you don't get them when tiny they develop roots down to China, and are really hard if not impossible to get out. Those, and Scotch Broom were everywhere on the Olympic Peninsula.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yeah, pooping out the darn seeds so they sprout everywhere. I'm serious, if you have a yard go over it every week looking for those seedlings to dig up. Because if you don't get them when tiny they develop roots down to China, and are really hard if not impossible to get out. Those, and Scotch Broom were everywhere on the Olympic Peninsula.
Plus shotweed, stinky Bob, and bindweed.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Bindweed I'm familiar with, but don't know shotweed yet. And I used to work with Stinky Bob, lol . He was a royal pain. Oh you mean the weed .

Another nightmare is perennial morning glory. They have beautiful big white flowers, but spread everywhere from thick fleshy whitish shallow roots, and come back every year meaner than ever. They look like hell when the vines die from the cold, and they can cover everything. They kept coming over from next door, omgosh I hated those things!!! I'll have to look up shotweed, and stinky Bob. Yeah, you can grow anything in zone 8a including a fine crop of weeds.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember seeing, and pulling shotweed, but didn't know what it was called. I thought it was kind of pretty. Just found out it's edible.

Fresh Start Cooking: Shot Weed - as Local as it Gets

Stinking Bob is interesting. I remember seeing this also. It's a perennial geranium, and a herb. It says the root system is shallow, and easy to pull. It's kind of pretty too, although considered a noxious weed in King county.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium_robertianum

https://www.kingcounty.gov/services/...rb-robert.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Bindweed I'm familiar with, but don't know shotweed yet. And I used to work with Stinky Bob, lol . He was a royal pain. Oh you mean the weed .

Another nightmare is perennial morning glory. They have beautiful big white flowers, but spread everywhere from thick fleshy whitish shallow roots, and come back every year meaner than ever. They look like hell when the vines die from the cold, and they can cover everything. They kept coming over from next door, omgosh I hated those things!!! I'll have to look up shotweed, and stinky Bob. Yeah, you can grow anything in zone 8a including a fine crop of weeds.
What you call morning glory is the bindweed. Horrible weed, very hard to eradicate—worse than the Armenian blackberry.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
What you call morning glory is the bindweed. Horrible weed, very hard to eradicate—worse than the Armenian blackberry.
Yes, nasty, invasive monsters. I looked, and I looked and found this site below. I had thought that these were two different weeds entirely, but had a hard time finding backup on it. This explains it very well with photos. The one I called a perennial morning glory is the Hedge bindweed. The smaller is the Field bindweed. I despise them both.

https://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery...ine_weeds.html

I had both of these in my old yard in abundance. The Field bindweed is kind of scrawny, and thin. The Hedge bindweed is much more robust with larger leaves, and flowers, and grows long like a jungle vine. Kind of like a field bindweed on steroids, lol. They are both miserable, horrible, and nasty. My ex husband loved the big variety, and said he would grow a whole yard of them if he could. He wouldn't help me get rid of any of them. That was just one of our many "disagreements" . That one thing is reason enough for a divorce, lol.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 AM

I hate them both, too.

We have the field bindweed here. If on open ground, it lies fairly flat. But if near a taller plant, it twists and crawls up the plant like that horrible hedge bindweed relative.

When we lived in WA, an uphill neighbor declared she was going to plant “morning glories” to (she thought) stabilize the soil around her home, which was poorly sited right on the edge of a steep slope. I told her that the state used snowberry bushes for that purpose, and that MG were invasive. She planted the evil things anyway. Couple years later, they were climbing up the entire corner of that house, along with creeping down to our back yard. Fortunately, their landlord sold the house to someone who cleaned up much of the weeds and did some proper stabilization.

Thanks for posting the link. The photos and descriptions spell out the differences very well.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times
Yeah thanks for the link- finally some things even i can grow!

As for the blackberries-- I'm back in Texas and in the stores "on sale $3.99" for a tiny container. I told a clerk "Hey those are free all over Washington State" He wasn't impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington