Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times

Advertisements

How bad is the meth problems they have in the Tacoma/Pierce County areas? I have heard horror stories about the meth problems they have over there and half the people I've seen on COPS in the Pierce County appear to be on meth, it makes me wonder if the meth problems in Tacoma/Pierce County are really that bad or not? Are there areas that are worse than Tacoma/Pierce County as far as meth goes?

I have wanted to visit Tacoma cause I believe there are alot of really good areas and I like the climates they have over in Tacoma and Western Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:01 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Yes, during the early part of the decade, Pierce County has had the dubious distinction of being the meth capital of Washington State. It was at one time, one of the three biggest meth producing counties on the west coast. The Locke administration did a lot to cut down that problem so that it's now much better but still prevalent.

As far as the best areas of the county to be away from the meth problem, I'll leave that for somebody else to answer. I know back in the late 90's and early 2000s the Lakewood area had a lot of drug problems but I'm thinking that the majority of the meth labs were probably out in rural Pierce county.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,874 times
It's been my impression the state has done a decent job busting up local meth sites in Pierce/Thurston/Mason counties, but all it's done is increase the amount that comes in from Mexico. Just last week one of the hugest meth rings in local history was broken up in Thurston county (Mexico based).

While I believe usage has dipped a little, take a look at any local newspaper's police log for the number of people arrested each week for meth and you'll notice that it's still a problem, although personally, I'm not affected by it. It does seem to usually be isolated to certain areas.

It still amuses me each time driving out of Puyallup towards Tacoma, the signs along the highway: "Don't Drug and Drive".

Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM

305 posts, read 1,610,246 times
Stay away from Spanaway Lake and Bresemann Forest and you'll be fine. Bresemann is a haven for mini meth labs cooking in the woods.

You just have to think smart--if you're living in a run-down, junky neighborhood in say Spanaway or Lakewood, you'll probably run into it. If you're living in a normal middle-class area, it won't effect you.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:43 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Most of the reruns on COPS are from the early 90's also. That was a long time ago.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Most of the reruns on COPS are from the early 90's also. That was a long time ago.
They did come to COPS again in the mid 1990s, early 2000s and the mid 2000s, I'm sure Tacoma and Pierce County may have changed alot since.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 18,291 times
The best way to avoid this is to live where it is least likely to happen. That to me is Dupont, Steilacoom, University Place, or Brown's Point. Any place with alot of inexpensive rentals, motels, trailers or rooms or any place that is ex-urban, rural, forested, secluded, accessed by a dirt road, is prime Meth Lab habitat. Really, it can happen anywhere, so where is it 'most likely' to happen?

I have heard that the number of meth labs discovered is going down. Good on all the dedicated and brave people involved in pulling that off. Maybe check out the Sheriff's web site for info.

I'd say it's getting better. I believe crime is down in both the City and County.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
I'm from Iowa and it used to be horrible there too. It's still bad in some parts of town, but there trying to help it.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 15,714 times
The meth problem in tacoma is even worse than most people let on . As a former user I know the ins and outs of the scene , They run trafficking groups from california , they run credit card theft rings , there was a time that I could take you to any neighborhood in tacoma/lakewood/spanaway or parkland and show you either a cook or dealer on any block . The worst part is , now most of them carry firearms . Where back in the 90's/early 2000's hardly any of them did . And running a close second to the worst part is , the police involvment , The police (and I've seen this with my own eyes ) will work with certain individuals , granting them a sell drugs for free card for being confidential informants . And most of the time these confidential informants are the worst of the lot and need to be put in jail for the saftey of themselves and others , yet they wander the streets free from worry because of police corruption in the TPD and Puyallup PD . I've often pondered telling my story to the Tribune ... giving them names and dates and blowing the lid off of the whole tacoma scene ,every time I try to get people arrested I run into a brick wall . The TPD doesn't want to get reports or calls on their informants . And they don't care enough about the meth issue to put in a full fledged effort to clean up the town .

Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 23,690 times
I think a big decrease with meth issues are related to how regulated the over-the-counter medications that supply the main ingredients are now in the state. That has taken the wind out of the sails of the mom and pop drug makers. The saddest part is when the news would report children living amongst these conditions. The drugs are there, like they are everywhere....but nothing like it was 5 years ago. In fact, some police agencies are now "disbanding" their meth clean up labs because there isn't as much of a "need" or larger cities/counties are able to cover more geogrphical areas now. So, that is a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington