Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 AM

6,273 posts, read 3,433,106 times

Advertisements

Why is building nuclear power plants a bad idea?

The only new plants to be built were in Georgia and Tennessee which opened in I think around 2017. Why hasn't more being built? Wouldn't Nuclear power be a boost to helping reduce climate change by eliminating the need for coal/oil fueled plants.
Or is it because Trump proposed it in his first SOTU address that liberals are opposed to nuclear power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,767 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Careful... you are posting in a WA forum. (but I'm pro - NucE)

One of the biggest Muni Bod failures of all time... WPPSS Nuclear PLants
There was still an obligation of $2.25 billion to pay back to bondholders in 1983. To offset the cost, the price of electricity was increased for customers, which caused a major uproar. The uproar led to legal troubles, causing the utility's plan to raise money from customers to backfire.

The $2.25 billion debt was defaulted, and WPPSS was unable to pay their the full amount to their bondholders, recovering by only 40% from their municipal bond disaster.
https://www.municipalbonds.com/news/...s-of-all-time/
https://www.historylink.org/File/5482

Most of WA state was paying $0.015 / KWH Now nearly 10x (I assume we (rate payers) got WPPSS paid off by now...)

WA would have stayed low rates, but once they got into our pockets the Utilities did other foolish things (Natural gas turbines in areas that require 100% importation of fuel)

Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,278,085 times
Well, between the Hanford mess and the Satsop plant that was a huge waste of money, this state's nuclear track record ain't great.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,204,012 times
Have to admit, WPPSS is one of the best Acronym of all time.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,365,631 times
I'm anti-nuclear power as long we continue to use the same poorly designed, water-cooled ones. Now if we were to use one of the more safe designs, I might consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Or is it because Trump proposed it in his first SOTU address that liberals are opposed to nuclear power.
Liberal opposition to nuclear power is nothing new, but I think you already knew that.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM

103 posts, read 91,881 times
Nuclear is really the only way there is going to be any kind of meaningful progress with reducing carbon emissions. Anyone who tells you that solar/wind is the answer, can't do basic math. I agree with Koala that our country's obsession with the LWR reactor type is counterproductive but don't at all agree that they are unsafe. A much better answer is to invest in production molten salt thorium reactors.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I'm anti-nuclear power as long we continue to use the same poorly designed, water-cooled ones. Now if we were to use one of the more safe designs, I might consider it.

Not sure why you and others think water cooled nuclear power is unsafe? I could find one person in the US that died because of radiation due to a nuclear power plant accident.

Quote:
Liberal opposition to nuclear power is nothing new, but I think you already knew that.
Yes I knew that...no matter what Trump proposes or backs liberal/progressives who waste most of their awake/dreaming hours hating him will be automatically against it.

I was against a lot of policies of the Obama administration but I never hated him...in fact I voted for him the first time around.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
Nuclear is really the only way there is going to be any kind of meaningful progress with reducing carbon emissions. Anyone who tells you that solar/wind is the answer, can't do basic math. I agree with Koala that our country's obsession with the LWR reactor type is counterproductive but don't at all agree that they are unsafe. A much better answer is to invest in production molten salt thorium reactors.

Okay...I never heard of salt thorium reactors. So looked it up and got somewhat educated. Seems to be in the infancy stage so will wait and see how it pans out before a make a judgement.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,747,876 times
After the earthquake in Japan I have zero interest in nuclear power plants.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:47 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,365,631 times
Quote:
Not sure why you and others think water cooled nuclear power is unsafe? I could find one person in the US that died because of radiation due to a nuclear power plant accident
Do the names Fukushima or Chernobyl mean anything to you?

Quote:
Yes I knew that...no matter what Trump proposes or backs liberal/progressives who waste most of their awake/dreaming hours hating him will be automatically against it.
No, seriously, lots of Americans, many of them Republicans, are against nuclear power. It's got nothing to do with Trump and it's not new. It's been true for years, ever since Three Mile Island. Where have you been all this time? As for myself, I had no idea Trump ever said anything in favor of nuclear power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington