Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 12:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I would not consider any of the towns in the greater Seattle area as "underserved" for medical services, if that is actually a concern of yours.

Definitely the ones east of the Cascades would give you more opportunity to fill a need.

I moved from the Seattle area to Bend Oregon, which is the medical center for Central Oregon and it is surprisingly short of doctors, even though it is a significant town serving a significant area, and an awesome place for doctors to live, if they like any form of outdoor recreation. I would imagine some of the east of the crest places in Washington would be a similar situation.
Of those on the OP's list, Wenatchee and Yakima are most similar to Bend, though they don't have quite the tourist draw that Bend has. The Wenatchee Valley is really beautiful.

Pullman is somewhat similar, and it is the home of Washington State University. I generally prefer a town with a 4-year college, tends to be more interesting things going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 01:32 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1H1 View Post
I'm not a bot, thanks for the citydata welcome for my first post.

I'm in the medical profession looking to work in underserved areas where they need medical providers , early 40's and there are opportunities for me in each of the cities/towns I have listed on the internet. I have only visited Seattle, and while I like the city and am not tied down to living an urban lifestyle.
I like having all 4 seasons, cold doesn't bother me, I have a down parka ready for winter weather and a SUV ready to handle snow if necessary. I don't mind hot summers, up to 90 degrees. rain doesn't bother me either.
I enjoy fishing, I like bike riding. I enjoy hiking. being 1 hr from decent fishing holes would be great.
Being 2 hours near an airport would be nice, high speed internet would be nice.
I would prefer to live in an apartment complex or rent a house initially. Having a selection of different restaurants would be nice.

So if you have visited, lived in, or know anything about the above listed towns/cities it would be appreciated
Edmonds and Redmond are not underserved. Pay will be higher, but so will the cost of living. Practically every area outside of "Pugetopolis" is underserved. Next month, it could be another list of towns.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1H1 View Post
I'm not a bot, thanks for the citydata welcome for my first post.

I'm in the medical profession looking to work in underserved areas where they need medical providers , early 40's and there are opportunities for me in each of the cities/towns I have listed on the internet. I have only visited Seattle, and while I like the city and am not tied down to living an urban lifestyle.
I like having all 4 seasons, cold doesn't bother me, I have a down parka ready for winter weather and a SUV ready to handle snow if necessary. I don't mind hot summers, up to 90 degrees. rain doesn't bother me either.
I enjoy fishing, I like bike riding. I enjoy hiking. being 1 hr from decent fishing holes would be great.
Being 2 hours near an airport would be nice, high speed internet would be nice.
I would prefer to live in an apartment complex or rent a house initially. Having a selection of different restaurants would be nice.

So if you have visited, lived in, or know anything about the above listed towns/cities it would be appreciated

Airports: From Woodland you could get to PDX (Portland), which is a very good airport. Ferndale is near Bellingham and less than two hours from Everett, but those are both very small airports and might not get you where you want to go. (Ferndale is also less than two hours from Vancouver, B.C.) Yakima has a small airport where you can get flights on Alaska, but all flights go to Seattle. I don't think you'd be anywhere near an airport in Okanogan.

Airport may not be your top criterion, but unless the job opportunity in Ferndale, Yakima, or Okanogan is particularly appealing, it could narrow your list a little.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 PM

147 posts, read 167,913 times
Wenatchee also has a small airport with Alaska flights to Seattle. Or the Wenatchee shuttle also makes several trips a day to Seattle airport. But that is more like 3 hours

Old 12-14-2019, 04:12 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Since you don't mind cold and snow, and enjoy fishing and bike riding, the cities on the east side of the Cascades would be worth looking into. Wenatchee might be a good choice.
I'll second Wenatchee. Its meets most the criteria and is ~ 2.5 hours to SeaTac in decent weather.

The absolute best thing to do is to visit more of the state first. The two biggest decisions you need to make are:

1. Do you want to live within commutable distance from Seattle? If so, you will be dealing with the largest urban sprawl in the state and associated factors such as increasing COL and traffic.

2. Do you want to live east or west of the cascades? West side if sometimes known as the 'wetter' side. So the climates can be quite a bit different. East side is probably closer to the traditional 4 seasons including regular snow in winter months. The east side is probably also more under served. The greater Seattle region has the most money and services.

I've visited Yakima and didn't care for the location, geography or environment. But that's the thing, you have to visit because who knows, it may be more to your liking. kwim?

Derek

Old 12-14-2019, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,261 times
I appreciate everyone's honest input. There are like 15 jobs I am looking at and wanted a better understanding of the state before I started sending resumes and possibly traveling for various interviews. I have an idea of the areas I may send my first batch of resumes to.

I know alot of people are wondering some of the towns/cities near Seattle, how are they considered underserved? Most of my career I have worked at community health clinics that focus on serving poor and uninsured patients. There are a couple of clinics near Seattle that would qualify as underserved even though the area is densely populated. For the record, I don't mind living in a rural area, just wanted to find out if any particular town had any strange quirks people may have noted.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2019, 05:44 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
If you're interested in working in areas that are underserved, the Olympic Peninsula would be a great place to consider: Port Townsend, Sequim, Port Angeles, for starters. They're growing, and don't have enough doctors as is, let alone for the monthly growth in population due to retirees relocating there, as well as some young people and couples. Port Townsend, which is very scenic, only has one primary care provider.

It's hard to imagine that Edmods, Ferndale and Wenatchee are underserved, but...whatever. They're growing, too.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,734 posts, read 58,090,525 times
1) I would chose the job that will cover 100% repayment of your student loan (if that is possible), My MD did his time in Yakima (He claims to have learned a lot during that time). "Underserved" in WA typically means a Native American reservation / population.

2) For your list and interests Wenatchee and Ellensburg (more lakes, more seasons, Mtns nearby, less people, less expensive than Seattle metro)

3) Also consider Walla Walla, as they have WA State Prison, 2 colleges, nearby Blue Mtns, Nearby Idaho (great for recreation)... but a bit far from airport, tho within 2 hrs of Spokane airport.

Optionally... Being near Canada is really a plus for outdoor recreation if you get that opportunity.

Woodland is near me (and Portland), and good airport and 1 hr to Oregon Coast, 1 hr to Mtn Skiing, close to Mt St Helens, good fishing (Columbia and Cowlitz River + many nearby lakes popular for Mayfly hatch and other fly fishing seasons. I would not be keen to live there (more 2 seasons than 4), but would work great for many. ~ 40 min to Portland, maybe Amtrak stops in Woodland, but I think only Longview. (20 min opposite way than Portland). Also Check if Bolt Bus stops in Woodland as an option to get to Portland.

Personally I would avoid Puget Sound area while trying to reap financial rewards and grow investments (If that is your quest). Very high cost of housing and lots of traffic / recreation congestion.

Least desired WA areas for me would be Gray's Harbor, Tacoma, and urban Spokane. Yakima a close second to worse (personal choices).

Go for the money, if in earning yrs. You can venture to the 4 corners of WA within 4 hrs of Ellensburg (Center of State). Some of my fishing friends really like the 'potholes' (Near Moses Lake IIRC)

As with any move for employment... Know your alternative Plan B - Z in-case the job does not work out. DO NOT buy a home when transferring to a "remote - work-location" You make be stuck for decades. (in job and home).

With your interests and working 'under-served', don't forget to include income tax free WY, SD, and AK. Go for the best career path (learnings) and best pay (hopefully with LOTS of Overtime and Shift / Holiday / Hazard pay increase)

Old 12-16-2019, 08:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
I guess I totally missed the medical part of the OP's post. (I tend to read too fast). But, yes, underserved communities can be valuable from not only an income standpoint, but from a "useful" standpoint. I have some relatives who are MD's, and this can become somewhat rewarding within the profession. I am looking at the OP's post differently now, and yes, smaller communities can be rewarding both financially and personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington