Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 06:47 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,604 times

Advertisements

I don't know why so many vaccinated people are going mask less. The Delta variant has been rolled out and it's only a matter of time before it spreads throughout our area. Please wear your mask. Please also improve your health with exercise and more organic foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
I thought the vaccine was working well against it.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:06 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,604 times
WHO says fully vaccinated should still mask up.

Royal Caribbean is sailing after 15 months and all passengers but 2 adults are vaccinated. Still the ship is only 1/3rd capacity for social distancing.

These variants are here to stay forever, but the media won't say that all in one day because the public needs to be handled with a velvet iron glove.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:14 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Not worried about it. Not masking up on the WHOs recommendation.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:07 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Wednesday early afternoon:
Dock boardwalk- most of people are maskless.
Pike Place, 1st Ave. -Mostly wearing masks.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
It's summer... stay outside,

B.1.617.2.1 or AY.1 -- Delta Plus is the troublesome one, by Fall we should have Delta ++ or beyond.
Delta Plus has an extra mutation called K417N,
To date, there have been about 160 strains of the coronavirus sequenced globally,
Is it more infectious, deadly or vaccine-resistant?
According to the Indian government's Covid-19 genome sequencing body, the Delta Plus variant exhibits several worrying traits such as increased transmissibility, stronger binding to receptors of lung cells, and a potential reduction in antibody response.
It's not yet clear what effect the mutation may have on vaccine efficacy -- but Julian Tang, professor of respiratory sciences at the University of Leicester, warned it could potentially give the variant "significant vaccine escape properties."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/healt...scn/index.html

vaccine is just (1) ONE tool to fight Covid (in general)

Aerosal viral spread is VERY easy to understand and to effectively control spread. Covid aerosal is very small particles, and similar spread to how you tell if a smoker or perfume user walks in the room. Know the air patterns and your plan and escape. (As MIT asked CDC... "Where did you come up with 6ft!, sometimes 60 ft is not adequate spacing!")

You can always carry a HVAC anenometer with you (~$35 - $200)
Or just be observant for air returns and flow / exchanges if you MUST be inside a crowded space for over 15 min at a time.

Carry and use your trusty $0.05 DIY copper zapper (Just another tool)

Use ALL the tools you can, as there are quite a few fully vaccinated testing positive. Tho CDC claims you are less likely to die / have severe Covid if vaccinated, BUT vaccine does NOT make you immune or free from transmitting Covid to others.

Be smart, this is not going away, especially in USA.

Now if we just had everyone RFID' with contact tracing and a very diligent testing, tracking, and reporting system... Some of us have been wearing RFID's for tracking for nearly 15 yrs. *EDL / port security clearance. No harm done yet....

Old 06-25-2021, 10:46 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
As much as you eff-ing annoyed me in your other crappy reparations post I get what you are saying here. I've seen it in the media too and I don't disagree with the underlining cynical assumption in this post. The only difference is you're just a jerk about it here and I'm not.

Look, if my personal theory about this mess is correct, then it's going to go on and on and on. But I'm pretty wasted right now dealing with that personal theory of mine in real time (trying to cool down) and don't want to get into it.

So yeah.... delta, huh? Like as in the greek system?

What happens when we get to omega?

Old 06-25-2021, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
And your meaningful content to Surviving the Delta variant (?)

Carry on (as you must).

This was broadcast today and had some hints
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segmen...ovid-patients/

other helpful resources...
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ts-on-the-rise
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/fi...-we-still-need

Old 06-26-2021, 07:07 AM

115 posts, read 57,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I thought the vaccine was working well against it.
Depends on the vaccine, the patient's health and age. Astrazeneca is horrible while Pfizer seems to hold up around 88% for about a month. Their efficacy drops three-fold over time, though. And it seems like people over 50, whether they're vaccinated or not, are at risk of severe complications if they contract it.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:28 PM

726 posts, read 1,366,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not worried about it. Not masking up on the WHOs recommendation.

Moderna and Pfizer protect against Delta but not as good as they do against the original virus... less than 90% is what the studies are showing so far but we don't have enough data yet to have a firm idea. Bottom line, there is definitely more risk of getting Delta even if vaccinated with the most effective vaccines. Plus, if you do get sick with Delta (or spread it others), there is higher chance for severe consequences. I for one will err on the side of caution and continue wearing a mask in public unless outside and well away from others. I don't like 10-12% odds, or more, and I do not want to spread it. I respect businesses who still require masks and I've let that be known to managers and owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington