Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 04:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

I suppose to most it seems good that the state is providing a long term care program for it's residents, but they way it's being done is very questionable. If you actually read the fine print or attend a presentation as I did today, you will find that:

You can opt out only if you prove having an equivalent plan already by 11/1/2021 (I do)
Even if you do, the state must approve your opt-out by 12/30/2021 or you will be charged out of your pay check 1/1/2021 until 4/1/2021, even if you had the equivalent plan in November/December.

When your opt-out is approved they will not refund what you have paid

If you are 8-9 years to retiring, you will pay those years but will not get the full benefit since it takes 10 years to be fully vested.

If you move to another state before needing the benefit you will lose it, but your money is gone, it will not be refunded.

The lifetime maximum benefit is $36,500, which is less than today's cost for just one year of assisted living.

The cost to the employee taken out of their paycheck is .58% of every $100 of W2 earnings - regardless of your age, so if you get a raise, promotion or better job, your deduction goes up. In your 20s now? Your cost will go up every time you get a raise over you next 40+ years.

Private policies like mine are fixed premium over your lifetime.

The link below is to the site, but you may find it slow as many others are now finding out about this from their employers.

http://www.wacaresfund.wa.gov/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 04:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose to most it seems good that the state is providing a long term care program for it's residents, but they way it's being done is very questionable. If you actually read the fine print or attend a presentation as I did today, you will find that:

You can opt out only if you prove having an equivalent plan already by 11/1/2021 (I do)
Even if you do, the state must approve your opt-out by 12/30/2021 or you will be charged out of your pay check 1/1/2021 until 4/1/2021, even if you had the equivalent plan in November/December.

When your opt-out is approved they will not refund what you have paid

If you are 8-9 years to retiring, you will pay those years but will not get the full benefit since it takes 10 years to be fully vested.

If you move to another state before needing the benefit you will lose it, but your money is gone, it will not be refunded.

The lifetime maximum benefit is $36,500, which is less than today's cost for just one year of assisted living.

The cost to the employee taken out of their paycheck is .58% of every $100 of W2 earnings - regardless of your age, so if you get a raise, promotion or better job, your deduction goes up. In your 20s now? Your cost will go up every time you get a raise over you next 40+ years.

Private policies like mine are fixed premium over your lifetime.

The link below is to the site, but you may find it slow as many others are now finding out about this from their employers.

http://www.wacaresfund.wa.gov/
What happens if you are unemployed today and start a job on Jan 1 for example? Or if you change jobs between that time?

Old 08-18-2021, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What happens if you are unemployed today and start a job on Jan 1 for example? Or if you change jobs between that time?
As I understand it from the presentation yesterday:

Changing jobs - You will continue in the same program but it comes out of your new employer's check.
If you start a job on January 1 they will take the money out of your check unless you give them a copy of your approved opt-out before you start.

Changing jobs - You will continue in the same program but it comes out of your new employer's check.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:40 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
How likely is this to be challenged in court? It is just so ridiculous.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Totally agree.

1) The $36,500 maximum is the maximum, no matter how much money you make (you pay more if you make more), and no matter how many years you contribute. After you reach your maximum benefit, you have to continue to contribute, so you're literally throwing money away after that.

2) The flyer from the WA Dept of Health that is promoting this fiasco actually mentions that "7 in 10 Washingtonians will need long-term care in their lifetime". So, right away 3 in 10 of us will have completely thrown the money away.

3) If you contribute to the full maximum benefits, but then move out of state, you've thrown that money away unless you move back to WA for long-term care.

4) According to my financial guy, there are currently no public insurance companies underwriting any new long-term care policies, because those companies are afraid of people signing-up to get the exemption and then dropping the insurance policy. So, basically, if you don't have a private long-term care policy by now, you're stuck paying for this.

How is this legal?

Old 08-18-2021, 03:49 PM

208 posts, read 145,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
How is this legal?
No clue, it is clearly a marginal income tax for W-2 income labeled something other than marginal income tax. I would not refer to WA as a no income tax state anymore, as the vast majority of people will pay 1% income tax.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Totally agree.

1) The $36,500 maximum is the maximum, no matter how much money you make (you pay more if you make more), and no matter how many years you contribute. After you reach your maximum benefit, you have to continue to contribute, so you're literally throwing money away after that.

2) The flyer from the WA Dept of Health that is promoting this fiasco actually mentions that "7 in 10 Washingtonians will need long-term care in their lifetime". So, right away 3 in 10 of us will have completely thrown the money away.

3) If you contribute to the full maximum benefits, but then move out of state, you've thrown that money away unless you move back to WA for long-term care.

4) According to my financial guy, there are currently no public insurance companies underwriting any new long-term care policies, because those companies are afraid of people signing-up to get the exemption and then dropping the insurance policy. So, basically, if you don't have a private long-term care policy by now, you're stuck paying for this.

How is this legal?
That one sentence would be rare, because most people going on LTC would not then be working again. It is possible, though.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
How likely is this to be challenged in court? It is just so ridiculous.
The problem is the lack of publicity, this got passed quietly and many people are still not even aware of it. I suppose when the $100k salary people start getting dinged for $580/year they may take notice, or when the $250k income people see their deduction adding up to $1,450/year.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:53 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
See the other thread on the WA Cares.

JMO,
The WA plan is priced to encourage people to search out a plan and then lock them into whatever plan they can get even if not the State's plan.

It is insurance but most will never be eligible for the benefit, except for the few.
It is method to payroll tax to offset current cost of LTC medicaid.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:24 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That one sentence would be rare, because most people going on LTC would not then be working again. It is possible, though.
I don't remember exactly, but it states something about you having to contribute to WA Cares monthly for 5 years, or 3 out of 6 years, to get the max $36,500 benefit. Therefore, if you work in WA for 20 years, you get the max benefit after 5 years - but then you don't get to stop paying this tax, so you just contributed 15 years to the pot that doesn't gain you anything. That was what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington