Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 10:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I do think the majority of homeless are addicts and people that suffer from mental illness, but hey I could be wrong.
You are probably wrong. See my post upstream about the visible homeless versus the invisible homeless.

You are probably correct in that the majority of visible vagrant types living in blue tarp dumpster explosions are suffering from mental illness and substance abuse. But those "visible homeless" are not the majority of homeless in any city. And they will be the last ones to actually get helped by any housing program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 11:41 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I gotta think in a cashless plastic society, panhandling is going to decline. I pretty much NEVER carry any cash anymore. Never. So even if I ever wanted to give a couple bucks to a panhandler out the car window or on the street I can't. Sorry dude, I don't carry cash.

What are they going to start doing, swiping your card with their smart phone or beg on Venmo? I don't think so.
I don't see that strategy working with panhandlers who are paranoid schizophrenic or bipolar & on meth.

Old 01-07-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
WE need to be a lot more creative about what we consider and allow as housing. Cities and towns used to have thousands of SRO hotels that were basically a room with maybe a small kitchenette and probably a shared bath. They were cheap and often scuzzy, but they were still a roof over your head which beats a blue plastic tarp.
Yes, I remember SROs. There were many of them in downtown San Diego & they weren't that bad. I was there often to see clients who lived in them. I never felt afraid or threatened.

Then, to *re-vitalize* downtown San Diego, the SROs were torn down to make way for a a now-obsolete shopping mall (Horton Plaza), a tourist restaurant-bar area (Gas Lamp Quarter) & high rise condos. Nowdays downtown San Diego has tent cities & more homeless than ever before.

I recently was on NW 45th in the U district in Seattle & saw what I realized is the tiny home village there. I had gotten lost & was concentrating on driving as the area is heavily trafficked & had road construction & is very crowded, so just got a glimpse of many small, closely spaced roofs surrounded by a tall chain link fence. I remember thinking that the old school SROs were a better, more humane place to live, IMO.

The irony was, when I got going in the right direction, there were tents & tarps & many people crammed together on the tiny dirt area next to the NW 45th St. bridge that crosses I-5. This is less than a quarter mile from the tiny home camp.

Last edited by CalWorth; 01-07-2023 at 12:47 AM..

Old 01-07-2023, 10:28 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
THIS.

For all the "discussion" I see about homelessness, there's very little mention about a lack our housing, and the huge effect that nearly fifteen years of underbuilding and low supply created throughout the country. There are a number of reasons as to why this occurred, and there are other reasons why people go homeless, but the bottom line is that being able to afford putting a roof over your head- especially on the west coast- is not easy for many people.
Cities like Seattle spent million for a few outdoor toilets...so what do you think 'affordable' housing will cost the tax payer? Affordable housing that most homeless won't want as it would interrupt the life 'style'.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just outside of Sequim in the unincorporated areas there are homes on acreage with old travel trailers rented out to people, probably illegal but not enforced. Some have turned out to be drug dealers and one I am aware of on Blue Mountain Road was a convicted sex offender.

In Seattle there are now 9 Tiny Home Villages. The "houses" are 8'x10' so 80sf. For those in the more industrial areas there have been few problems, but some others have had complaints from neighbors of noise, trash and crime. Regardless, the City is budgeting for more, but even those are not cheap, at about $6,000 per. That doesn't include permits, grading, plumbing for shared restrooms/kitchens, and electricity connections. Most are on City or Port property, looking for private land with a willing owner would be futile.
No developer is going to buy land and build a tiny home village for what they would sell for.
Port Townsend also has those tiny houses and have had for years.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:37 AM

Sequim city council is considering mobile showers for the homeless...I wonder what that will cost the taxpayer.

Old 01-07-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Sequim city council is considering mobile showers for the homeless...I wonder what that will cost the taxpayer.
Really? Where will they be located?

Old 01-08-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Really? Where will they be located?
Unknown at this time...Since they are supposed to mobile I think there are numerous site being considered.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:56 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
Mt. Vernon has mobile showers for the homeless and they park the trailer at a church. Being mobile they have options and can adapt where they put it: https://www.goskagit.com/news/local_...490e7b4fc.html

It seems like a good idea compared to building a facility.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Mt. Vernon has mobile showers for the homeless and they park the trailer at a church. Being mobile they have options and can adapt where they put it: https://www.goskagit.com/news/local_...490e7b4fc.html

It seems like a good idea compared to building a facility.
Thanks, that was an interesting read. I wanted to read the article a second time, but that requires a subscription. I did find it interesting (paraphrasing from memory) that the individual who spearheaded the shower trailer idea did so because he felt that the churches in Skagit County did not do enough to help the homeless; that the 4-shower trailer cost $80,000; and that the money for the trailer came from a non-prof that helped charities in Mt.Vernon/Skagit County.

Sequim has many, many MANY churches for such a small community. Perhaps they will take note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington