Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 11:04 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://crosscut.com/politics/2023/0...g-demand-grows

“Last summer, the federal government made access to suicide and crisis counseling much simpler by launching the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline – a shorter version of the (still functional) 10-digit suicide prevention hotline.
Now, as awareness spreads, call centers are feeling pressure to keep up with the growing number of people seeking 24/7 behavioral health support by calling or texting 988 to have a confidential conversation with someone trained to help, free of charge.

“As CEO of this organization, finding the staff right now is the thing that keeps me up at night,” said Michelle McDaniel from Crisis Connections. Calls to 988 within King County are routed to Crisis Connections, a nonprofit call center based in Seattle that is one of three centers – alongside Volunteers of America and Frontier Behavioral Health – that provide mobile behavioral crisis services for people across the state.

How to call/text for help:

For those seeking help, the suicide prevention and crisis helpline is available 24 hours a day in English or Spanish by dialing or texting 988. The helpline, which can also be reached at 1-800-273-8255, also has the ability to translate services into 250 additional languages.

Veterans can reach specialized care by dialing 988, then pressing 1, or by texting 838255.
For individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, teletypewriter users can use a preferred relay service, or dial 711, then 988.

To reach the Native and Strong lifeline, callers can dial 988, then press 4 to speak with a Native mental health professional.

According to McDaniel, Crisis Connections has experienced a 25%-30% increase in calls since the 988 hotline was implemented last July. With the increase in calls comes an increase in the need for fast, efficient mobile response teams equipped to meet the needs of individuals requiring urgent, in-person care.
State lawmakers are considering a proposal this session to boost funding for the 988 service. House Bill 1134 would add money to the budget to support rapid-response teams, provide more comprehensive training for responders, and put into motion a statewide marketing campaign”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 05:07 AM

209 posts, read 146,805 times
I do not understand why WA itemizes all these taxes. If they want to hit mobile phone users with a tax, just increase the sales tax. I currently have at least 8 different taxes listed on my phone bill.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 893,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
I do not understand why WA itemizes all these taxes. If they want to hit mobile phone users with a tax, just increase the sales tax. I currently have at least 8 different taxes listed on my phone bill.
If they do that then people will complain about lack of transparency on where the taxes are going.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:56 AM

209 posts, read 146,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
If they do that then people will complain about lack of transparency on where the taxes are going.
So? They can be told to go to the WA government website and find the budget. Just like 99% of all other government spending is not broken down on receipts when you buy things.

If anything, transparency types should be advocating for having a simpler taxes, which makes it easier to makes sure you are not getting fleeced by a seller. It is quick and easy to verify one or even two tax percentage on the WA government website, than look up 8 different taxes for 4 different levels of government on who knows how many websites.

This is what shows up on an ATT bill:

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
City Utility Users Surcharge
Federal Universal Service Charge
County 911 Service Fee
City District Sales Tax - Telecom
City Sales Tax - Telecom
State 911 Service Fee
WA 988 Tax
WA State Sales Tax - Telecom

Imagine how much of the country's productivity is going to keep track of things like this at every business. This kind of complexity is also advantageous for entrenched big businesses, and bad for small business.

Last edited by Pomelo; 03-20-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2023, 02:14 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I think itemizing for transparency is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington