Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 08:55 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I have no idea who Fisher is. As a Washingtonian I'm more concerned about the quality of our roads, education, healthcare system, social safety net, affordable housing, etc.

So, bye Fisher. Peace!

But as the tax-paying base leaves, who is going to pay for those roads, school systems, healthcare system, and affordable housing? Million of illegal immigrants, illiterate in their own language, in poor health, and few job skills? Drugged-out loafers, camped out in the woods, on city streets, or in low-barrier subsidized housing projects?

At some point, the Feds are going to quit giving cities and states free money to support all these social services, and the locals are going to have to pony up for the costs. Unlike the Feds, the locals can't do deficit spending. With our borrowing limits maxxed out, how do you think the taxpayers are going to continue to support this safety net of free food, housing, transportation, education, child care and health care to the indigent?

Why do you think they are pushing so hard for income tax? You think it is to relieve property tax or sales tax? Dream on!

As you say, people will tend to move when conditions are sufficiently better than where we are. And that goes for peole in Asia, Africa, and South America, as well.

I used to lobby our elected officials about the problem of outsourcing our high-tech sector to Asia, and the issue of massive immigration would sometimes come up. The elected officials (or their staffers') response was a variation of "when things are no better here than where they came from, they'll quit coming."

Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 10:48 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
The tax paying base isn't leaving. That dude didn't pay extra in taxes, because we had (and mostly have) our state taxation system set up so that he didn't have to.

He wasn't contributing anything (related to taxes) more than me. And to be honest, for big ticket purchases (sales tax), it looks like he was mostly living in Texas anyway.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

If you want to live in a state where the SUPER wealthy don't pay more in taxes than me and you, then have at it - move to Texas with this dude. If not, Washington is still here and vibrant.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
..That dude didn't pay extra in taxes, ...
He wasn't contributing anything (related to taxes) more than me. And

to be honest, for big ticket purchases (sales tax), it looks like he was mostly living in Texas anyway.

Probably his (and others) 'big ticket' purchases (sales tax / registration) was done by a MT LLC. That's legal, and not hard to do.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:19 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Whatever you think of the WA State Supreme Court decision, Fisher's move was never about taxes - it was about politics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...081_story.html

Hard as it might be to believe, Texas is a state with higher property taxes than Washington. Anyone really moving to get away for the tax reasons ought to move to Alaska, not Texas. The tax situation in AL is much better, if the temperatures are not

Old 04-14-2023, 02:40 PM

Alaska's also the only state with a UBI, so not the worst situation. My first PFD paid for my snow tires.

However the lack of income going to the state also drives some subpar results. When I lived there the restrooms between the Kenai & Anchorage were shut down due to lack of programming funds. That's a long drive, although to be fair most Alaskans are used to peeing in the woods lol.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:41 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
Alaska's also the only state with a UBI, so not the worst situation. My first PFD paid for my snow tires.

However the lack of income going to the state also drives some subpar results. When I lived there the restrooms between the Kenai & Anchorage were shut down due to lack of programming funds. That's a long drive, although to be fair most Alaskans are used to peeing in the woods lol.
We are talking about Ken Fisher - and why the move from WA to TX was not about taxes. Alaska is just to highlight that a pure tax move would not be to TX. Where Alaskans pee or poop would normally not be a consideration for a tax saving move

Old 04-14-2023, 02:43 PM

? Yes, I have been a participant in this thread for a minute. But thank you for the reminder of the topic, I guess? (aka: what?)

Old 04-14-2023, 05:36 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Whatever you think of the WA State Supreme Court decision, Fisher's move was never about taxes - it was about politics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...081_story.html

Hard as it might be to believe, Texas is a state with higher property taxes than Washington. Anyone really moving to get away for the tax reasons ought to move to Alaska, not Texas. The tax situation in AL is much better, if the temperatures are not
I always wonder why wealthy people move to TX. I think the main reason is for the lack of state income tax. But if wealthy, why not live is the nicest places with most beautiful scenery (mountains, forests, beaches), mild weather, etc...?

I would guess that its a financial advantage and then they travel wherever they want to for however long they want while claiming state residency. My prior wealthy landlord in Monterey lived in Nevada near Tahoe for similar tax reasons for 'part of the year.'

I don't think property tax matter as much to wealth as income tax on a relative scale of potential tax hits one might take. For most, even those well off, I would think WA is still pretty good when it comes to keeping as much of their income as possible. But there are all kinds of other loopholes and ways to shelter income which I why folks like Trump and Warren Buffet pay such low taxes.

America’s richest 400 families pay a lower tax rate than average taxpayer

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-14-2023 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 06:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I always wonder why wealthy people move to TX. I think the main reason is for the lack of state income tax. But if wealthy, why not live is the nicest places with most beautiful scenery (mountains, forests, beaches), mild weather, etc...?

• Image (Texas is perfect for the Fisher types, he would not do so well in income tax free SD or Alaska, he'd have to prove he was capable (of which he is not, he USES others to gain ground)
  • Independence (wealthy are 'revolutionaries', not conformists)
  • Like minded neighbors (Proud)
  • Privacy. Everyone has a GATE in Texas (and it's always closed!)

WA was a very bad fit for Fisher. He is not a 'nice guy', or even slightly easy to get along with. WA expects you to be civil and a tad considerate. (and to be engaged in the community or recreation... not Fisher's protocol.) A bit of a battle for David Madore as well

Have you met him?

He has a very strong personality (perfect fit for Texas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: