Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2023, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,804 times

Advertisements

My son and his wife are planning on moving to Chewelah next year. They have two kids age 16 (boy) and 14 (girl). They have always lived in a city environment on the NW side of WA. I’m concerned what this move will be like for the kids. My dad moved me and my siblings from S CA to the middle of nowhere in OR so I know what it’s like to be uprooted in high school and leave the only life you’ve known.

I’m wondering what the high school is like. My grandson plays sports so that should help. My granddaughter likes to be involved in leadership. She is also very artsy and dances to her own best. Of course my main concern is how much of a problem drugs are in the school and the community. This whole fentanyl situation worries me daily.

Anyway, I’d love to hear feedback, especially from those of you who live there and have kids in the school system. Also, is reliable high speed Internet available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 05:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,362,552 times
What's the rationale for the move? Job? Housing values? Cultural?

NW WA (Bellingham?) is ridiculously expensive, but with limited job/income potential.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Chewelah is 45 miles NW of Spokane, and only 2,600 people live there. It's truly in the middle of nowhere. I have only passed thru once years ago so can't comment on it other than that, and it's not very likely that someone living there will see your post. I would be very surprised if there are many of the typical amenities, or activities for kids there, hopefully I'm wrong.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Fortunately they are in Washington, so they don't HAVE to attend HS, they can go to college for FREE*!. There is a Community College branch in Colville (22 miles north)

https://scc.spokane.edu/Become-a-Stu...-Running-Start

* free during 11-12 grade, but you can just pay minimal tuition prior to that if kids can pass entrance exam (very easy)

Our kids did fun jobs (ski and golf instructing and ESL tutoring) during HS years and also did a 106 mile daily commute to attend college and still participate in HS sports.

Works for many kids, not all.

Yes, the small town will be a challenge, but that's how we grow and become responsible citizens.
Encourage kids to become involved in community services and volunteer organizations. (multi generational).
In our small town, We fed homeless, worked in rehab, volunteered at schools, attended senior needs, did community fund raisers and our kids were also sponsored into Search and Rescue and local Law enforcement as cadets.

Kids don't need to be 'entertained', they can be mentored by parents and neighbors... Ours learned to build furniture and even designed and built their own houses before HS. There are benefits to NOT being in a busy city. Annually we would attend a High School display of 'projects' done by students statewide. The projects from the small town kids were amazingly ornate, and beautifully done. They had the time and mentoring to invest in learning and demonstrating their acquired skills.

Old 10-12-2023, 04:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
I don't think we can link to other review sites, but google "niche chewelah high school" and you will pull up a lot of information on the local HS. It looks pretty mediocre frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington