Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times

Advertisements

We're going to be driving from Seattle to Portland in a few weeks, and I'm thinking of taking a side trip, heading west from Olympia over to Route 101, and then taking Route 26 back toward Portland, south of Seaside.

My wife and I will be in the PNW for two weeks, and this may be our only chance to get out and see the ocean. (We have a busy itinerary!) So I was wondering if there are some good ocean views along 101 in that stretch. In other words, is it worth our time to take the detour on our way to Portland?

Looking at Google Maps, I'd say 101 comes closest to the water between Warrenton and Seaside, before we'd turn back toward Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
The really spectacular coast begins south around Cannon Beach/Manzanita, OR (rocky with sea stacks). If you can take some extra time to head that way, the views are incredible. You can stop at numerous overlooks and get the whole breathtaking Pacific ocean experience because the road runs right along the coast.

You could go to Cannon Beach as a side trip from Portland after taking a quicker I-5 trip from Seattle to Portland.

Just an idea.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
You'll see a bit of the ocean, but not a whole lot.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Cannon Beach on South to Manzanita (just a short hop south of 26 ~ 15 min) will show you a lot of nice OR beach. There is not much beach in So WA that is accessible (except for Long Beach, which is not too spectacular).

I'd drive south to Longview, then west to Astoria, OR. Before Longview, be sure to stop in Castle Rock and St Helen's visitor's center (5 min east of I-5)

For OR beach... See`Ft Clatsop just west of Astoria. If a Light House is mandantory, you can drive across to WA and see the one near Illwaco.
Seaside, OR is a flat sandy beach with "promenade"

Ecola State Park is above Cannon Beach with nice vista
Cannon Beach is nice, flat, but not expansive

My Favorite is Hug Point... walk north on beach and see the stage coach route blasted from rock, great tide pools, rocks, waterfalls, caves. (highway 101 was originally along the beach at low tide. Stage stops used abandoned shipwrecks for shelters)

The cape south and above Manzanita is a nice vista. If drift wood beach is necessary, go on south through Twin Rocks, it is nice beach, then Tillamook for Icecream and cheese, and back to Portland on Hwy 8 (joins with 26)

Hopefully you had time to go to Rainier Park and look at Paradise Lodge, If not be sure to swing by Mt Hood (OR) and go to Timberline lodge. The CCC lodges are great place to enjoy the efforts of the 'unemployed' 70 yrs ago.

For Portland, DON'T miss the Rose Gardens, Take 'Zoo' exit off 26, or from downtown, come west up Burnside, and follow signs to Washington Park. Free concerts most summer evenings adjacent to Rose Gardens, good place for sunset over the city with Mt Hood in background.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Thanks, everyone. I think we'll make some time to head out to the Cannon Beach-Manzanita area, based on your input, and just take the quick trip from Seattle down to Portland.

Lighthouses aren't too big of a deal. My wife and I grew up in Michigan. Lighthouses are old hat when you grow up surrounded by water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington