Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 PM

110 posts, read 377,334 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Port Townsend and wonder if someone can give me an idea of wardrobe essentials. I'm a mature adult and not so much interested in fashion as in functional clothing tips.

Am I likely to need anything more than a light jacket/coat in the summer? Would a flannel lined field coat be adequate? Would something wind and water resistant or proof be more appropriate?

How heavy a jacket/coat will I need for the winter? Will a 3/4 raincoat with a removable very light wool or thinsulate zip-out lining be adequate year around or do I need a moderate weight fleece-lined parka for the winter? When I say "moderate", keep in mind that I'm from Wisconsin. Here a "moderate" winter parka would be rated down to 0 degrees. I understand that it doesn't get that cold in straight temperature in Washington but that the dampness and wind make it feel considerably colder than the actual temperature.

Are waterproof walking shoes or rain boots essential?

Are jeans and a sweater acceptable for most activities?

What is appropriate business attire for mature women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Port Townsend is a pretty casual place, so I don't think you'd need to focus on elegant business attire.It's a sweater and jeans kind of town. Port Townsend also doesn't get much rain, much less than Seattle, but it's good to have waterproof or water resistant clothes, but not essential. The 3/4 raincoat with light wool or thinsulate will do 90% of the time, but there might be a few weeks where that won't be enough. Port Townsend is a beautiful place.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Thank you Ira. Much appreciated.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
The Thinsulate liners are about the right weight and warmth. Gloves are nice too.

I saved for 10 yrs to get my Helly Hansen rain coat, only to have it stolen in 2 months... so I got another... and use it for a lot of outdoor activities, especially sitting through kids soccer and baseball games. (there are some outlet malls that have decent prices... $300 coats for under $100).

For gardening and lawn work you will want some rubber boots or shoes, but not necessary for daily routine / shopping / work.

I keep a set of Poly Propylene long johns for those few really cold days, or when I need to warm up around home. There are some new ones that are 'ribbed' and they are quite comfy and warm, but not too hot or thick.

Parka is not essential, and would get very little use. (don't blame me if you are freezing next year, if there happens to be a real cold snap ) Light Layering is adequate. Think 'chilly and damp', Not 'Too Frigid to move'. I'll admit I enjoy trips to ID, MT, Colo... in the winter to 'warm up'... sometimes sunshine and crisp is nicer than drizzle and cool.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Thanks janb. Good information.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:49 AM

68 posts, read 338,598 times
To be honest, I could spend 90% of the winter in a hoody (though early morning tends to be rather chilly). It just doesn't get too cold very often. Daytime highs almost never fall below freezing. You might be boiling alive in that winter parka you mentioned. I would pick a light jacket with a hood over a sweater for most activities in general. It's nice to have something with a hood around for the days when it drizzles (unless you're out in it for quite a long time, it's just not enough to get you very wet). If the forecast shows actual rain you must have an umbrella of course. Nice to have a small one permanently in your car just in case. The only times I ever felt like I actually needed gloves was when I wanted to make a snowball or two.

I did the opposite where I started in Seattle and have now moved to the midwest, and all I can say is that the winter just doesn't compare. A Seattle summer will be something like a late fall for you with less humidity, few to no thunderstorms, and almost no mosquitoes. Hopefully that will give you an idea of what you'll need.

For business attire. Just as an example, many of those people that work at Microsoft here will easily put in 60-70+ hours a week when a deadline is coming up... and quite a few of them spend close to 50% of that time in something not far from pajamas. The Seattle area is one of the least formal places in the country, so it's a good idea to gauge what a company considers appropriate on an individual level.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the practical information, springshades. No thunderstorms? I love thunderstorms. I can do without mosquitoes and fall is my favorite season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: