Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times

Advertisements

For another thread on Tacoma go to:

Tacoma: Feedback wanted on homes, jobs, culture

Despite what the OP said, Tacoma is not all bad, although it can appear that way if you are not familiar with the city and are not aware of all the nuances of the various neighborhoods.

A newcomer to T-town should try and avoid living in the East side unless they are led by the hand to a good neighborhood, and there are good neighborhoods on the east side.

The problem is the good neighborhoods are in the vicinity of bad neighborhoods, and I wouldn't want to raise a kid there, but that's me.

Crime stats for Tacoma can be found at:

http://www.piercecountycrimedata.org/

I strongly urge you, and anyone else considering a move to Tacoma, to go to that website and search the stats for the neighborhood you're planning to move to.

The OP's experiences are atypical, and I personally know of no one who could claim a similar history.

I lived on the South side (another area reputed to be unsafe by some here) for 28 years.

My neighborhood was safe, but all who lived there kept an eye out for each other, and we all took steps to help ensure our safety; block watch programs and things like that.

Tacoma has about 200,000 people in the city proper and probably 50 to 100k more who have a Tacoma address in the unincorporated areas adjacent to it.

If anyone thinks the entire population base is made up of criminals and undesirables, I'd question their reasoning powers.

It's inflamatory posts like that that contribute to an undeserved reputation for the entire town, and is unwarranted.

Are crime stats for Tacoma higher than the national average?

Yes, but show me a city that isn't. If you're moving from a small country town, Tacoma will scare you initially, but you'll learn.

If you're coming from another city, especially a west coast city, you should already have the "street smarts" to determine which neighborhood is right for you.

Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klove1228 View Post
AZ,
Wow thanks for the reply. I WILL take that into great consideration. Especially since my daughter is 8 yrs old. I'm starting to think Dupont or maybe Fircrest. Gig Harbor was a choice but the traffic and toll bridge don't seem worth it.
How cute. I have a nine year old girl If you move to Fircrest...get her into Wainwright elementary. It's well above average and the best school by far in Pierce County. That will buy you time to figure out where to put her for middle school. Definelty keep on top of the ratings found in greatschools.com for middle school and high school. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:04 AM

46 posts, read 380,017 times
[quote=AZ_singlemother;455366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
I lived all over. 35th and Orchard. 12th and Pearl Street hear 16 exit to Gig Harbor. It's apartment living...lots of neighbors with drug problems. I cannot even know my neighbors. Also you should not work in a grocery store. I was working at Payless Drugs at the time. Saturday afternoon, busy line. I was in charge of information...also checking customers. There was a robbery spree as usual.

12th and pearl, did you live in the Polynesians? If so its no wonder you had problems, thats a ghetto ass complex.

Nonetheless, your experiences are still atypical. What you describe doesn't happen very often statistically.

I'm not saying Tacoma doesn't have some problems, it does, but there are indeed nice and safe neighborhoods.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM

19 posts, read 145,301 times
AZ,
Thanks for the sound advice. I will look into what you said.

Magrack,
Any chance you know about the neighborhood I asked about earlier? Little neighborhood between McKinley Park and Rogers Park?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klove1228 View Post
AZ,
Thanks for the sound advice. I will look into what you said.

Magrack,
Any chance you know about the neighborhood I asked about earlier? Little neighborhood between McKinley Park and Rogers Park?
I will give you a hint: McKinley Park and Rogers Park are both in the East side of Tacoma. Now you should read M's advice about this area for new comers. I would suggest anyone with kids stay out of that area and other Tacoma people would tell you the same.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 AM

[quote=faulkton;459224][quote=AZ_singlemother;455366]

12th and pearl, did you live in the Polynesians? If so its no wonder you had problems, thats a ghetto ass complex.

Nonetheless, your experiences are still atypical. What you describe doesn't happen very often statistically.

I'm not saying Tacoma doesn't have some problems, it does, but there are indeed nice and safe neighborhoods.[/QUOTE

Where are the nice spots? I lived everywhere in Tacoma and surrounding areas. I do like the North End but I seem to have the worst luck living in apartments. Never owned a home but all relatives have been burglerized. There's always some kind of drug neighbors. The shootings occured in the East Side community center. The robbery happened at the Payless drug stores - rite aid while working in the north end - 6th Avenue. I've been there all my live and left at 28 years old.

Guess you are okay unless you rent an apartment or work in a store. Otherwise my relatives live in Parkland - meth heaven now and I hate staying there when I visit from Phoenix. Numerous things happened but a majority did take place in the east side of T-town. My mother made a poor decision raising me there. Glad I came out okay but who knows what happened to some of my old school mates - many I found killed reading the Tribune.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Magrack,
What she said.

The area between McKinley and Rogers parks is pretty big and encompasses many neighborhoods.

Rogers is up on 34th and has an off leash area for dogs that my wife or I would take our dogs to most days, and McKinley is down on 82nd.

That area of 82nd is in a state of change right now and not for the better,IMO

The Rogers Park area is much better (relative term) as it is mostly single family homes, but has a high level transient population.

The advantage of living on the East side is that the rental/home prices is noticeably cheaper than other areas of Tacoma, but it comes at a price if you don't know the area.

If you must live on the east side, choose carefully.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:54 AM

After thinking about it a bit, I realize I'm probably not being much help with answers with the specific neighborhood, so let me try to pin it down for you a little better.

In the McKinley Park area, I would not choose to live within a area bordered roughly by Pacific Ave on the west, Portland Avenue on the east, 86th St in the south and 72nd Street on the north.

South of 86th it's more rural, with larger lots and is fine down to 96th as long as you're not living on McKinley Ave itself.

One or two blocks can make a big difference in any densely populated urban area.

Tacoma is no different.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 PM

[quote=magrack;463317]After thinking about it a bit, I realize I'm probably not being much help with answers with the specific neighborhood, so let me try to pin it down for you a little better.

You are bringing back memories. Did you live on the East side? I remember my mother raised me at 35th and McKinley I remember, the gangmembers had wild parties at McKinley park...of course had parties out on the streets. Lots of the parents have drug and alcohol problems - including my mother. Ever seen the new Mary J Blige video run a way? That's life for kids on the East side.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:07 AM

20 posts, read 146,593 times
Yes, do check out Browns Point (N.E. Tacoma). The commute to Gig Harbor is HORRIBLE, I mean HOURS! I personally would not live in Federal Way and most of downtown Tacoma is still not great for families. They are working on revitalizing the area, but it will still be a while. I guarentee you would love Browns Point. It is a cute little area overlooking the water. It has a rural small town feel. The neighborhoods are established and very safe, and actually not priced too bad either. There is also a port road that will take you right into Tacoma and there is never much traffic on it. If you get a chance check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington