Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,234 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be staying in Ellensburg on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and I was wondering if there's anything I should plan to do while I'm there. Is there anywhere good to go out and eat (not super fancy, but pretty nice...local, not a chain) or have cocktails?

Yes, if you've read my other posts, I'm asking the same questions in a few towns.

What about the Farmer's Market? I heard a rumor that they have a good one.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:10 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
For a place to stay you might like The Inn At Goose Creek just off I 90.

Themed rooms. The Victorian/Honeymoon room is particularly nice and The Rose room runs a close second.

Little pricey (over $100 a night), but worth it as a special treat.

Within walking distance is the Bar-14, a local restaurant, that has some interesting things on the menu and a pretty good service staff. Prices aren't outrageous.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:12 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,514 times
It smells like farm out there. Be prepared

Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Smells like farm on this thread.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Well, I'm sorry this thread smells like farm. I'm not sure what's so offensive about it! I do remember stopping at some gas station near Ellensburg once and being like, "Whoa! Where's the cattle truck?!" and I'm from cattle country, so it must have been bad. Yikes. But, I'm looking forward to it. Not so much the smell.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
For a place to stay you might like The Inn At Goose Creek just off I 90.

Themed rooms. The Victorian/Honeymoon room is particularly nice and The Rose room runs a close second.

Little pricey (over $100 a night), but worth it as a special treat.

Within walking distance is the Bar-14, a local restaurant, that has some interesting things on the menu and a pretty good service staff. Prices aren't outrageous.
I checked that out, but I am going with a female friend (not partner), so a themed room seemed a bit inappropriate. It did look cool for a romantic getaway though.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Okay macgrack. I misunderstood what was going on around this thread and gave you negative points because I thought you were being an #&&hole for no reason. Then I realized you were joking and tried to give them back to no avail. I will scurry away and leave this thread behind me now. I apologize for screwing a good thing up!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM

Now, why would you leave a thread, that you started, before you got the information you were looking for?

That makes no sense to me. Better you should ask if I'd leave the thread (no problem).

Don't worry about the points. My life will be no better or worse because of reputation points I get from some anonymous poster on a chat site; since I have a wry sense of humor, I expect to get many more negative points than positive ones anyway.

I never act like an @55hole for no reason; I always have a reason, and I wasn't joking.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 52,712 times
Default Little Things in E-Burg

I am hoping you have a rental car because you need to drive as walking is not an option. Unfortunately I go there too often to even know the proper street names, but can still point you to things to consider. If going up Main street off I-90 (there are two exits) this one has all the chain restaurants like McD, Arby's (not the Dairy Queen one) - stop at the Agate Shop as Ellensburg has a unique blue stone that is interesting. They have Mt. St. Helen's emeralds and some other interests rocks and jewelery (201 S. Main). Find the yellow church cafe - it's off Main Street on Pearl (111 S). Drive by and check-out Dick and Jane's Spot - an interesting odd home that is probably an absolute pain to the neighbors (http://www.reflectorart.com/spot/resume/index.html) (broken link). Pictures do not do it justice. On Main street their is a really nice Italian restaurant, it is newer so don't know the name. There is a University there, I don't know if things would be open but they have some very famous chimpanzees (http://www.cwu.edu/~cwuchci/) (broken link). You can sometimes see them up at the top of their play area - also right near the chimp research center (they do sign language not animal testing on the chimps) is the CWU Psychology building parking lot - known for Ted Bundy unfortunately abducting a victim. Then if nice weather, go walking along the river at Irene Rinehart Riverfront park (http://www.ci.ellensburg.wa.us/recreation/parks.cfm) (broken link). The park is fine, but if going out anywhere hiking or on other trails do know the area has rattlesnakes. There are a few antique stores downtown, sometimes they know what they have and sometimes they don't which can be fun. I also cannot say that I would equate the area with cattle ranch smell now. It is a ranching area but you have to be near a lot or truck with a strong wind blowing I suspect. There is an old movie theater downtown, I haven't been so don't know the condition inside (old classic theaters can be quite interesting and rare) but it's called the Liberty and is still showing films. There is also a new movie theater down by Bi-Mart/Super 1. It's a small town, I don't know the street but bet you could easily find it. I like Casa de Blanca in terms of Mexican restaurants (down by McD). Beware of the speed limit, it's one of the slowest moving towns I've ever seen and the college kids don't always pay attention when riding their bikes directing into your path and the street. Plus cops don't have a lot to do, so are often right around the corner.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 113,522 times
I would recommend the Palace Cafe. It's "downtown" along the main road. It's been open since 1892 so some neat photos and history on the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington