Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,918 times

Advertisements

My family may be relocating to Washington. My husbands job will be in Anacortes. We come from a small town in MN and have excellent schools. I am trying to find out more about this area and areas around it. I have young kids and I need to find them a place that will make for an easier transition. So if you know of a smaller community with good schools, low crime rate please assist and help me out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM

8 posts, read 28,021 times
I too am wondering about life in Anacortes - what's the housing market like? How long (or short) of a drive is it from Anacortes to Blaine? Thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM

59 posts, read 158,461 times
I am an Anacortes resident of 4 months, so I may not be able to answer all questions thoroughly. Most areas are good from my knowledge. Our realtor said that there are still people who do not lock their doors or cars at night. I am from a big city in SoCal so am always in the habit of locking my doors. My wife and I do not have kids currently but hopefully will soon so we do not know about the school system right now. Many of my work peers have kids in the school system with one being married to a local principal. I have heard nothing but good things with the additional statement of how great it is to raise kids here. Take a look at this local online newspaper to learn of the region: Skagit County's News and Information Source | goskagit.com

Life here in Anacortes is nice, but has been a big change for me personally moving from the city in sunny SoCal to rural western Washington. My biggest adjustment was the short days of early winter combined with the dark grey skies. I am enjoying the progressively longer days as we head into spring.

There is so much to explore here from nature hikes in our local forest lands, to easy access to the ferries to explore the San Juans and Victoria, BC, and access to nice mountains with huge snowfall for snowboarders and skiers. Oh and you cannot miss seeing Deception Pass Bridge linking us to Whidbey Island.

I have not been to Blaine yet but I know it takes us 45 min to get to Bellingham and that is south of Blaine. That may be a long drive with potential winter road conditions. I know someone that lives here and drives to Bellingham for work and it takes her an hour.

Good luck on your decision as this is a beautiful place.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM

88 posts, read 311,100 times
dub, I hope you are enjoying Anacortes even more this summer. I am interested in a possible move to Anacortes eventually so I'd like to pick your brain a bit, so...

What neighborhood is yours? What's it like?

I was interested in Old Town but it's obvious home prices there are much higher than elsewhere. Do you think the convenience of Old Town makes paying so much more worthwhile?

What about Skyline? I'm a sailor so the idea of having my boat at the marina so close is very appealing. What else does Skyline offer?

I was impressed with some homes available for under $300k but I know nothing about the neighborhoods. Seems like the same homes in Old Town would be $400-500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington