Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 17,216 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Fort Lewis and the one thing I care about in this world (besides my wife and daughter) is Trail Running! Any recommendations on cities to rural community around Fort Lewis with access to many running areas (trails, country roads). Looking for a 15-25 mile commute to one of Fort Lewis gates (is there a back gate around Yelm?).

Thanks for your input

Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
There's an incredible trail system that runs along the base just on the outskirts. The best trail running you'll find is Pt Defiance Park in Tacoma. 24miles of dirt/bark trails, no bikes allowed, running alongside the Puget Sound, good mix of flat and hills. Best trail running I've ever found. The trails along the base are nice, but you get quite a few Mtn bikes as well, which isn't bad but can be a bit scary on the blind corners. I pick up those trails from Steilacoom.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 AM

103 posts, read 783,555 times
Fort Lewis itself is close to 16 square miles in size.
The 'back gate"is the fort Lewis east gate which is the only way to get to yelm unless you exit by way of the main gate,getting on to Interstate5 south towards Olympia.Exit I-5 and heading east will get you to yelm.Taking the east gate will give to a option for spanaway,graham or Roy-Yelm.

I would say you can run at your hearts delight crisscrossing Fort Lewis,continuing on to the old madigan army hospital area on to Mcchord air force base where the jogging trail goes the perimeter of the airfield.
MapMyRun.com | Find Runs and Running Routes in Fort Lewis, WA
Sports & Leisure | www.nwguardian.com
Thanks to our great climate here,jogging year round should be no problem.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 AM

20 posts, read 64,364 times
If you are living in the Steilacoom area, I see lots of people jogging to North Fort to go to work. There are wide bike lanes and shoulders when there aren't any sidewalks. There is also a long trail that goes around the airfield at McChord, besides what has already been mentioned.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
If you are moving here from a dryer climate you might need a different trail running shoe. There are some trail running shoes with a better grip and when everything is wet and slippery they are nice to have.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 15,595 times
Dupont has a lot of trails too - right across from the post. Worth a run at least. mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-16-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,699 times
I would reccomend looking into the Yelm area. There is a subdivision outside of town called Clearwood. We live there currently and are moving due to PCS orders. It is a very quiet neighborhood with over 14 miles of trails throughout the neighborhood. It is a gated community with not only the trails, but also has tennis courts, basketball courts, pool, and 3 lakes with beach areas and dock. My husband goes through Yelm and Roy and takes the Roy gate or the East gate on to post and nevr has traffic issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington