Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times

Advertisements

I hate driving also.

But I hate even more the idea of being crammed into a tin can full of strangers with somebody else at the controls.

I don’t care if Public Transportation flies in the air, rolls on tracks, or drives down the freeway, I prefer to be in my own car by myself and be able to stop and get out whenever I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,963 times
Inner city transportation is more important to fund that long distance.

The light rail here is useless for 99% of people.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Inner city transportation is more important to fund that long distance.

The light rail here is useless for 99% of people.
The reason it's not useful to many people is because we hardly have any. Yeah, when you have hardly any lines that service few areas, it's not going to help most people. But look at New York City. A lot of people there don't even have cars, and if they do, the only use them when driving long distances. If we had long-distance, fast, and quality rail that connected large cities and other areas across the US together, you could get rid of your car altogether if you wanted to. True, a car is nice to have because all areas are not going to be serviced, but you could limit the use of your car to bare bones.

We're a long way from there, but at least this is a first step to that.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 AM

353 posts, read 934,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
The reason it's not useful to many people is because we hardly have any. Yeah, when you have hardly any lines that service few areas, it's not going to help most people. But look at New York City. A lot of people there don't even have cars, and if they do, the only use them when driving long distances. If we had long-distance, fast, and quality rail that connected large cities and other areas across the US together, you could get rid of your car altogether if you wanted to. True, a car is nice to have because all areas are not going to be serviced, but you could limit the use of your car to bare bones.

We're a long way from there, but at least this is a first step to that.
However, inner city transportation must be available at the destination.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

I also think to people living in the Boston - NYC - Philly - DC corridor this would also make a lot of sense because of the population density.
That corridor is already served by high speed rail. The Acela trains run along that corridor at up to 150 mph. The best they are hoping to do in the Seattle-Portland corridor is about 125 mph, I think. They can go faster on the Acela line because Amtrak owns all of the trackage there whereas here it is leased from BNSF.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
However, inner city transportation must be available at the destination.
The folks going to Portland will have an easy time getting around on their extensive commuter rail network.

Here, they'll be able to get to the Lowes on Rainier without much of a problem.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post

The folks going to Portland will have an easy time getting around on their extensive commuter rail network.

Here, they'll be able to get to the Lowes on Rainier without much of a problem.
But if they buy anything there how do they carry it back?

Ever try carrying a couple of 2x4s on the bus?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
The one thing i don't understand is the FRA wants transit & HSR to expand yet they keep these stupid weight laws. Also why did Amtrak buy Talgo cars that are mean't for speeds of 125 with Diesel engines and only run them at 80mph. Also you can buy smaller longer Locomotives instead of Amtrak's large and not-fitting Locos. Tax Payers need to tell the FRA and Feds to redo there rules becuz its hurting the Rail network out there and in most of the country.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 AM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

When I carry something I usually use my hands and inner exertion to pick it up. I know that's hard to imagine for some, but people do it everywhere.

In the case of 2 X 4's you would need a truck. There are still uses for cars. Building a massive transit system is not going to stop people from having cars; that is not the point.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

There are times when I wish I'd had some with me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington