Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times

Advertisements

Anyone attend either of the rallies yesterday at the Capital in Olympia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM

271 posts, read 1,238,290 times
Naaa, it'll be full of people saying how they think you should pay taxes for them.

After all when they voted yes on all the tax hikes, they didn't mean they themselves should have to pay them,just everyone else.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,143,981 times
A lot of people attended the rally, including my husband. I live in the Capitol neighborhood and parking was a zoo. Here is a link to a video clip: Viddler.com - Push Back 2010 Rally - Speaker Dori Monson - Uploaded by evergreenff

Old 02-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
...After all when they voted yes on all the tax hikes, they didn't mean they themselves should have to pay them,just everyone else.
Or more realistically... highly attended by those who voted for tax reform to only watch the State EXCLUDE the voters desire (as in last week by legislature and few yrs back by state supreme court, in the case of property tax reform)

From your fellow WA tax payer and jobs creator not an 'employee', especially not a GOV employee ($33/day JUST for WA property tax!!!, no takers with price to sell 33% less than assessment) B&O, personal prop, use tax... all forwarded to WA state

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM

230 posts, read 624,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Anyone attend either of the rallies yesterday at the Capital in Olympia?
Ahh.. the anti-tax folks. We should be grateful we don't live in Texas or New Jersey. Did you know that the tax on a home in New jersey, for a 400k home is 10k a year? Many parts of Texas, too.

Every state was smacked by the poor economy of the 2000 decade -- actually Washington was one of the very last States to go into the red. We' were of a handful of states that managed to hang on as long as possible. If you can find another state in the Country that did not have to cut services or raise taxes to make up for falling property taxes and sales tax revenues, then you might check those out. Washington state STILL has one of the lowest tax burdens of any state in the Country.

We don't pay income tax, our property taxes are low to moderate, where exactly do you all think that money to pay for the falling tax income is going to come from? Seriously.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Ahh.. the anti-tax folks. We should be grateful we don't live in Texas or New Jersey. Did you know that the tax on a home in New jersey, for a 400k home is 10k a year? Many parts of Texas, too.

Every state was smacked by the poor economy of the 2000 decade -- actually Washington was one of the very last States to go into the red. We' were of a handful of states that managed to hang on as long as possible. If you can find another state in the Country that did not have to cut services or raise taxes to make up for falling property taxes and sales tax revenues, then you might check those out. Washington state STILL has one of the lowest tax burdens of any state in the Country.

We don't pay income tax, our property taxes are low to moderate, where exactly do you all think that money to pay for the falling tax income is going to come from? Seriously.
Well, since you asked... I expect WA to cut-back just as I have... By the way... there were just as many pro-tax people as anti-tax...

My home was built in 1977 and is all original... as in never upgraded or remodeled... my plan was to spend a fair amount of money on energy efficiency and update the kitchen... this is now on indefinite hold...

The only problem I have with WA is the property tax system... it is totally unpredictable... my assessed value in Thurston County dropped $123,000 this year and my tax bill dropped $50

Where else in the country does a 123k drop in value result in a $50 property tax reduction?

I'm not alone, my neighbors, some living in homes they built in the 1950's now realized they can no longer live in the State... it just isn't fair when assessed values can increase by 30, 40 or even 80% in one year.

I did my research prior to buying... it was called I 747. If I had the slightest thought the WA Supreme Court would have tossed the will of the Voters aside... I would not be a WA home owner.

My biggest fear IS being taxed from my home...

I am not anti-tax... I am struggling under the burden of taxes that are totally unpredictable unless going up counts...

Our WA legislature is totally out of touch... Values are Down and Taxes remain virtually unchanged and I have the tax bills to prove it.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Well, since you asked... I expect WA to cut-back just as I have... By the way... there were just as many pro-tax people as anti-tax...
Our WA legislature is totally out of touch... Values are Down and Taxes remain virtually unchanged and I have the tax bills to prove it.
Exactly:
$1200 / yr for food
$12,000 / yr for WA property taxes (on a home that cost less than $100k to build)
something is wrong with this picture

income zip... (laid off after 32 yrs service, but 6 weeks BEFORE retirement eligibility)

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,741,690 times
Well Mr Rabbit, it may be time for you to rent a P.O. box for your mail, because when Washington state auctions off 'your' house on the courthouse steps due to your inability to pay them $1,000 a month in property taxes, you're going to be out in the street.

But the good news: once you're dead broke and homeless you'll qualify for all those government programs funded by your ex-property taxes.

Makes perfect sense to me!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,383,520 times
"If I had the slightest thought the WA Supreme Court would have tossed the will of the Voters aside"

The will of the voters doesn't supersede the constitution unless the constitution is amended.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
"If I had the slightest thought the WA Supreme Court would have tossed the will of the Voters aside"

The will of the voters doesn't supersede the constitution unless the constitution is amended.
Never-the-less... I was not prepared and neither were the tens of thousands of my friends and neighbors...

And... and this is a big AND... the WA Supreme Court Case was not open and shut... it took years for the issue to work it way through the courts and ultimately could have gone either way... at least that is what some of the justices stated in their opinions.

If the I 747 was "Clearly Unconstitutional" it would have never taken the WA Supreme Court to decide...

But, hey... it's WA... I didn't even know who my Governor was until weeks after the election and every recount came up with a different number
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington