Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That boggled my mind as well but I was told that those clothes actually keep them cool
Yes, I think that's because the hot air inside their clothing rises upwards creating a cooling breeze. Due to the shade their clothing provides and the cooling air current they end up feeling cooler than they otherwise would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Yes, I think that's because the hot air inside their clothing rises upwards creating a cooling breeze. Due to the shade their clothing provides and the cooling air current they end up feeling cooler than they otherwise would.
Yeah, but if you clothes are black or dark coloured, I still think it would be worse than bare skin or "summer clothes"... unless your skin tone was also very dark.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:21 PM

36 posts, read 63,638 times
some people handle weather differently. for example if its 40-50 degrees ill wear shorts and a t-shirt. its not any macho thing, i just like the cold and i feel comfortable like that. i never wear long sleeves and in the coldest days (around here thats 20s) ill wear long pants, and a t-shirt with a light jacket. im comfortable like that.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I've seen a few men wearing suits and a few other people wearing long sleeves on campus daily over the past month. The only rationale for this is that the A/C is blasting in every building. If there was no A/C here, I would be in shorts 24/7.

In winter, I always see someone wearing shorts and flip-flops, even on the coldest days (around here, those are days when the high is lower than 45F). You can just tell that some folks are immune to the weather.
I think lawyers wear suits to work year round.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 AM

148 posts, read 323,274 times
I've seen quite a few people around here wearing hoodies and shorts.

Not sure how that works.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times
NYC is too fashion and business-wear conscious. It would be nice if Bermuda shorts became acceptable attire here. Also ties are evil. They should be banned June-August - doesn't matter if you are CEO of a fortune 500 company or whatever.

Some trendy females wear scarves with just a t-shirt on. I realize the scarf is simply a fashion accessory in this case but still it looks very weird to me.

A guy that lives across from me spends a lot of time taking care of his lawn. He only wears shorts when he does it, no matter what time of the year it is. His lawn is facing south so there is a lot of sun but still. I wear long pants (usually sweatpants) indoors in the winter.

I think in general New Yorkers under dress in the winter. Unless it is a very cold winter day, most people just put a (not especially warm) winter jacket on top of whatever they happened to be wearing indoors (sometimes even t-shirt or a short sleeve polo shirt) and call it winter-wear. NYC is not North Pole to be sure but when they show European cities in winter that are typically much warmer than NYC, I see most people wearing hats, scarves, gloves, jackets that protect your neck up to your ears, etc. I think in New York there is the bravado factor in that you will send the wrong message if you wear one article of clothing more than absolutely necessary.

This doesn't apply to people who like to look gangsta. They often wear thick dawn bear jackets on top of hoodies even on relatively warm winter and spring days.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,902 times
In school I knew a couple of guys whom I never seen wearing a jumper or long pants all winter. I'm assuming that they thought that they were real hardasses by doing that, and also to impress chicks.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
If the high is above 50 and the low is above 20, I'll wear shorts. But that's assuming I'm not spending more than 5 minutes outside. Ironically, I hate the cold. I just love wearing shorts.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
If the high is above 50 and the low is above 20, I'll wear shorts. But that's assuming I'm not spending more than 5 minutes outside. Ironically, I hate the cold. I just love wearing shorts.
You would still have 4-5 months a year too cold, by your standards, to wear shorts in Toronto.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You would still have 4-5 months a year too cold, by your standards, to wear shorts in Toronto.
Ouch! Atlanta really is the coldest climate I could live in! I remember last February when there were only 5 days the high even got to 50 (Average high is 58). Needless to say, I was pretty depressed haha. Fortunately where I'm going to college, the average high in January is a nice 60
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather