Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

I thought weather watchers would be interested in the historical perspective of the “Great Florida Cold Weekend of January 2010” now that it appears its just about over. NOAA/NWS issued an in-depth report as of today. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/mfl/n...ricJan2010.pdf

Here are the highlights:

As someone who has been in and out of Florida in the winter season for 40 + years…. I can tell you this past weekend the weather made history. Temperatures over the weekend and early Monday morning plunged to levels not seen in at least 82 years at a few locations in south Florida. Temperatures at many official NWS stations remained at or below 50 F for more than 48 consecutive hours. According to NWS Miami…although no records are kept of consecutive number of hours at or below 50 F...it is likely that this streak is among the longest on record. Keep in mind that in the dead of winter (Jan-Feb) highs across south Florida are normally in mid/upper 70’s ….while the lows are around 56 -58 F. It has been an amazing 48 hours in South Florida!

Sunday January 10th

This was the coldest day in virtually all of south Florida since December 24, 1989 (21 years). Low temperatures ranged from 27 to 32 F in portions of inland South Florida… while lows ranged between 33-36 F over most of metropolitan Collier (Naples), Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach Counties. According to NWS Miami…unofficial readings of 32 degrees right to the beaches would be the first time these areas have seen freezing temperatures since December 25, 1989. Many of the younger people (under 25) who live in the coastal cities of south Florida have never experienced a 32 F temp.

Monday January 11th

This morning was another record breaker in South Florida: Naples fell to 32 F…Miami to fell to 35 F (breaking the record for the data set in 1927), and West Palm Beach had a low of 34 F (breaking the record for the date set in 1927). It appears that right near the East Coast beaches the lows fell into the mid 30’s this morning. In addition to new daily records being set, records for longest number of consecutive days with lows at or below 45 F…have been set in West Palm Beach and Naples (10 days each).

KEY WEST.

LOWS: The temperature this morning (January 11th) fell to 42 F at Key West, FL. Only two lower temps have ever been recorded in Key West …both of which are all time record lows of 41 F on January 13 th 1981 and January 12 1886. Temperature records in Key West date back to 1873. Key West now has had five consecutive days with low temperatures below 50 F (January 7th – 11th). A record not seen since the 1880’s.

In the coming days the pattern will finally moderate… and south Florida should see highs back into the upper 70’s with lows back near 50 - 55F. Central and northern Florida will see highs back near 60 F and lows in the mid 40‘s. From what I have read…it appears the citrus damage is modest. Nevertheless…the last four days were some of the most extreme cold in Florida in memory. A few records for the date that were 82 years old were broken.

With the low of 42 F in Key West and 35 F in Miami…I was curious what some of the “all time “record lows were like in other tropical areas of the world. Here is a list I found in a book called “Extreme Weather (Burt – 2004):

Record Lows:

Hawaii
Honolulu – 49 F
Kahului – 48 F
Lihue – 46 F

Hong Kong – 32 F
Laos – 28 F
Burma – 31 F
Philippines - 34 F
Honduras – 41 F
Indonesia – 48 F
Cambodia – 49 F
Belize – 52 F
Singapore - 66 F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:32 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Great information, Wavehunter! Here in S. Texas along the coast, we saw some of the coldest weather as well, since December 1989. December 2004 saw some very cold weather as well (the only time this area has seen a Christmas snow), but overall, this month thus far has been the coldest since 1989.

Ian

Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Great information, Wavehunter! Here in S. Texas along the coast, we saw some of the coldest weather as well, since December 1989. December 2004 saw some very cold weather as well (the only time this area has seen a Christmas snow), but overall, this month thus far has been the coldest since 1989. Ian
I see your in/near Corpus Christi. It has always thought Corpus would be a great place to live for a nomadic beach bum like me: Padre Island National Seashore… a good sized coastal city with mild sunny winters…warm tropical ocean waters...quick access to the Caribean/Mexico…and only a two - day drive or so to both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Hey Wavehunter... if you're interested in extreme temperatures for specific locations around the world, here is the best site I've found. The data is in Celsius and it seems pretty accurate. I'm not sure if you've seen it before or not.

Extreme Temperatures Around the World- world highest lowest temperatures

Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 AM

775 posts, read 1,168,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Hey Wavehunter... if you're interested in extreme temperatures for specific locations around the world, here is the best site I've found. The data is in Celsius and it seems pretty accurate. I'm not sure if you've seen it before or not.

Extreme Temperatures Around the World- world highest lowest temperatures
True...one of the best sources of extreme temperatures online, although there some dubious or very old data that are impossible to verify for some locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather