Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
Where I live would typically be browner than in the pic (Myrtle beach)during summer/autumn and a lot greener during winter/spring. Some parts of the country are always green, while other parts are always brown/golden. I have never heard of frost damaged grass before, maybe we have different grasses here.
Grass isn't usually hurt by mild frosts and but hard freezes can turn it dormant. Especially if the ground becomes frozen, hard and crunchy, the top part of the grass dries. Having a winter greener than summer sounds very exotic to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM

497 posts, read 1,089,198 times
Good palm pics. Are Washingtonia and Syagrus grown there as well? Its interesting to see Trachycarpus used as a street tree, as they seem to struggle to look good as they get older. Do citrus grow unaided in that area?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 22,928 times
I thougt I saw a pic somewhere of a Washingtonia in Columbia SC but I could be wrong. So i think Washingtonias in Myrtle beach SC would be plausible given its Zone 8a but I haven't seen any pics to know for sure. Most syagrus specimens I would think would be unhealthy. I've been to Charleston SC and didn't really see any there.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM

578 posts, read 1,189,749 times
Greenwich park in summer

In winter

Hyde Park in early summer 2010 during a dry spell.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Since everyone like the pics, I found a few more.

Pinnate palms (shaped more like feathers) grow as far north as southeastern North Carolina (on the East Coast) and San Jose, CA (on the West Coast). Pinnate palms are as a rule less cold hardy than fan palms from what I understand. Here is a picture of Butia Capitata (Jelly Palm)…near Myrtle Beach, SC a few winters back:

Actually this is not true. Pinnate palms can grow as far north as the BC coast without protection. Here is a short video of a Chilean Wine Palm (pinnate leaf palm) on Saltspring Island since 1999 and I know there are quite a few more around there and on Vancouver Island as well. As you can see, this species is a very slow grower in this climate.
Now if you're talking about the northernmost native pinnate palm. That's a different story....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb3g4...eature=related

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,373,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually this is not true. Pinnate palms can grow as far north as the BC coast without protection. Here is a short video of a Chilean Wine Palm (pinnate leaf palm) on Saltspring Island since 1999 and I know there are quite a few more around there and on Vancouver Island as well. As you can see, this species is a very slow grower in this climate.
Now if you're talking about the northernmost native pinnate palm. That's a different story....
I didn’t know that. I’m somewhat into gardening (in a casual way). I knew in the coastal PNW there are some palms that grow without protection (Windmills,..etc). Seattle as a few public plantings with Windmill Palms. I knew/read with great interest about “Joe –the palm guy” up on Salt Spring Island (your link). Joe has created several beautiful gardens with evergreen plants and some palms/bamboo. I saw Jelly Palms in the San Jose, California area many years ago, but once to Bodega Bay, they seemed to disappear. I didn’t think they were found much above 40 latitude on the West Coast. Quite interesting. Not really surprising however, since the onshore flow keeps truly cold temps (below 15 F) from ever occurring in places like Vancouver, BC and Seattle.

The “evergreen” look seems to be the hot thing in landscape design and gardening these days. From what I understand, there are several palms are hardy above 10 F/-12 C (zone 7 and above USDA). This means that most coastal locations on the West Coast from north of San Francisco to BC …and on the East Coast from Virginia Beach, Va to Long Island, NY - should be able to grow at least one or two of the hardy palms from what I’ve read. It is quite fascinating to see how these palms will do in the long term. Since I already had a few yuccas, bamboo, and other evergreens growing in my coastal garden…I planted a few palms. Here is my 3.5 foot Windmill Palm (native to East China – which has a similar climate to the middle East Coast); it is now three years old. It grows unprotected, but on the few really cold nights (below 15 F/-11 C) I cover it with a large wooden box for the night:

Since I have my pic file open - Of all the palms I’ve ever seen on the East /West Coast of the USA, southern Europe, and the Caribbean….by far my favorite is the stunning Cuban Royal Palms in south Florida. The pic is Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood, Florida, which has one of the nicer displays of Cuban Royal Palms I've ever seen:

Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times
Quote:
I didn’t know that. I’m somewhat into gardening (in a casual way). I knew in the coastal PNW there are some palms that grow without protection (Windmills,..etc). Seattle as a few public plantings with Windmill Palms. I knew/read with great interest about “Joe –the palm guy” up on Salt Spring Island (your link). Joe has created several beautiful gardens with evergreen plants and some palms/bamboo. I saw Jelly Palms in the San Jose, California area many years ago, but once to Bodega Bay, they seemed to disappear. I didn’t think they were found much above 40 latitude on the West Coast. Quite interesting. Not really surprising however, since the onshore flow keeps truly cold temps (below 15 F) from ever occurring in places like Vancouver, BC and Seattle.

The “evergreen” look seems to be the hot thing in landscape design and gardening these days. From what I understand, there are several palms are hardy above 10 F/-12 C (zone 7 and above USDA). This means that most coastal locations on the West Coast from north of San Francisco to BC …and on the East Coast from Virginia Beach, Va to Long Island, NY - should be able to grow at least one or two of the hardy palms from what I’ve read. It is quite fascinating to see how these palms will do in the long term. Since I already had a few yuccas, bamboo, and other evergreens growing in my coastal garden…I planted a few palms. Here is my 3.5 foot Windmill Palm (native to East China – which has a similar climate to the middle East Coast); it is now three years old. It grows unprotected, but on the few really cold nights (below 15 F/-11 C) I cover it with a large wooden box for the night:

Since I have my pic file open - Of all the palms I’ve ever seen on the East /West Coast of the USA, southern Europe, and the Caribbean….by far my favorite is the stunning Cuban Royal Palms in south Florida. The pic is Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood, Florida, which has one of the nicer displays of Cuban Royal Palms I've ever seen:

Great pics! Thanks for sharing My favourite palm is definitely the Canary Island Date Palm which is found as far north as southern Oregon on the west coast and my guess South Carolina on the east coast (could be wrong on this one ) I definitely think palms are under utilized in oceanic and warm temperate climates. I'd love to see NYC central park filled with windmill palms and sabal palms
I really think adding evergreen plants like palms and bamboos to landscapes that are dominated by otherwise drab and bare deciduous trees is a great way to brighten up another wise dull landscape.
You may not be able to change your latitude in winter but you can always change the plants you put in your garden and in public areas

Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM

497 posts, read 1,089,198 times
Quote:
Great pics! Thanks for sharing My favourite palm is definitely the Canary Island Date Palm which is found as far north as southern Oregon on the west coast and my guess South Carolina on the east coast (could be wrong on this one ) I definitely think palms are under utilized in oceanic and warm temperate climates. I'd love to see NYC central park filled with windmill palms and sabal palms
I really think adding evergreen plants like palms and bamboos to landscapes that are dominated by otherwise drab and bare deciduous trees is a great way to brighten up another wise dull landscape.
You may not be able to change your latitude in winter but you can always change the plants you put in your garden and in public areas
I would have thought Canary Island Date Palms would have been okay in protected spots, even in your neck of the woods. I like them as long as they not too close to the house, as they are a good place for rats to nest. Palms/ bamboo etc are a great way to brighten winter, we are lucky here in having tree ferns( up to 40 ft high) and a native palm( Nikau) growing in profusion, as well as plenty of big leaved native plants. the deciduous trees we do have(Oak, Birch,Maple,Poplar etc)provide great leaf mulch, although the oaks don't lose their leaves until the end of winter.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,470,424 times
Quote:
I also love Canary Island Date Palms. Their cannopy looks so much richer and thicker.

And I'd love to see NYC central park filled with palms. Though I think they would have to be protected on the coldest days when arctic fronts come through every now and then.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,470,424 times
Quote:
Since everyone like the pics, I found a few more.

Pinnate palms (shaped more like feathers) grow as far north as southeastern North Carolina (on the East Coast) and San Jose, CA (on the West Coast). Pinnate palms are as a rule less cold hardy than fan palms from what I understand. Here is a picture of Butia Capitata (Jelly Palm)…near Myrtle Beach, SC a few winters back:
Amazing pics!
BTW I thought I saw some Queen palms as far north as Ocean City MD. Not a great looking palm but it is pinnate I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather