Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,611,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
It may just be the location it was shot at, but it looks like the grass at Myrtle Beach is somewhat brown in the winter. Does the grass stay green the year round in most of New Zealand? Someone mentioned that in the UK, it does.
It browns off somewhat in many places during dry summer spells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,247,247 times
I would assume the grass in Myrtle Beach gets some patches of brown considering the average lows December through February are only in the 30s. Not sure how many frosts or hard freezes they get per winter though. Seems as though it can drop near freezing anytime from November through March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You've been to FL in summer and I haven't...
SC feels like FL in summer?

From all I've heard about summer in FL, it sounds like it could be muggier.
I have not seen a summer day in SC I didn't like, but I'm unsure if I'd like a FL summer.

I like how SC is shorter to travel to.
Plus SC has some of its own regional quirks that I like.
I've spent several weeks in Florida many times, although I haven't been down there in years. Myrtle Beach is just as hot and steamy as Florida during the summer. When I've been there, I don't think I've seen the temperature drop below 75 F. Highest dewpoints were around 77 F or 78 F. Typical steamy South Carolina weather. Inland SC is even hotter.

I've only spent time in Horry County, but would like to explore more of the state myself. Maybe go fox hunting near Charleston.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I would assume the grass in Myrtle Beach gets some patches of brown considering the average lows December through February are only in the 30s. Not sure how many frosts or hard freezes they get per winter though. Seems as though it can drop near freezing anytime from November through March.

I've spent several weeks in Florida many times, although I haven't been down there in years. Myrtle Beach is just as hot and steamy as Florida during the summer. When I've been there, I don't think I've seen the temperature drop below 75 F. Highest dewpoints were around 77 F or 78 F. Typical steamy South Carolina weather. Inland SC is even hotter.

I've only spent time in Horry County, but would like to explore more of the state myself. Maybe go fox hunting near Charleston.
Depends on if they "overseed" it with cool-season grass.
Southern lawn grasses tend to go totally brown after frost.

Really???
From what I've seen in August, there is zero reason to complain about heat there.

Fox hunting?
Do you mean Swamp Fox, nickname of Revolutionary war hero?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Really???
From what I've seen in August, there is zero reason to complain about heat there.
If you like steam rooms, then I can see why you wouldn't complain.

Dewpoint values and humidity between Myrtle Beach and South Florida seem to be very similar. Only difference is the sun is stronger in Florida which is sayin a lot since the sun in SC is nothing to scoff at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Fox hunting?
Do you mean Swamp Fox, nickname of Revolutionary war hero?
Middleton Place Hounds :: Charleston, South Carolina :: a Mounted Fox Hunt

Seems like an expensive and snooty place, but fun.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
If you like steam rooms, then I can see why you wouldn't complain.

Dewpoint values and humidity between Myrtle Beach and South Florida seem to be very similar. Only difference is the sun is stronger in Florida which is sayin a lot since the sun in SC is nothing to scoff at.
Now I'm really confused at why SOOO many people down there complain about heat.
Seems that many/most consider their summers equally harsh as a Canadian winter.
I guess I should just smile and nod? (I'll never understand? )

I figured the sun would be stronger,
but the way Floridians complain about humidity
I assumed there might be a lot more wind in SC summers because it's further north.

Quote:
Middleton Place Hounds :: Charleston, South Carolina :: a Mounted Fox Hunt

Seems like an expensive and snooty place, but fun.
Neat link. Didn't see any foxes though.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Now I'm really confused at why SOOO many people down there complain about heat.
Seems that many/most consider their summers equally harsh as a Canadian winter.
I guess I should just smile and nod? (I'll never understand? )

I figured the sun would be stronger,
but the way Floridians complain about humidity
I assumed there might be a lot more wind in SC summers because it's further north.
I would assume there's a breeze off the coast of Florida. I know there was almost always one in Myrtle Beach which did help. But once you get away from the coast, prepare to be melted. Although you would probably enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Neat link. Didn't see any foxes though.
They're mock hunts. Something to consider next time you vacation in SC.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 PM

497 posts, read 1,089,668 times
Quote:
It may just be the location it was shot at, but it looks like the grass at Myrtle Beach is somewhat brown in the winter. Does the grass stay green the year round in most of New Zealand? Someone mentioned that in the UK, it does.
Where I live would typically be browner than in the pic (Myrtle beach)during summer/autumn and a lot greener during winter/spring. Some parts of the country are always green, while other parts are always brown/golden. I have never heard of frost damaged grass before, maybe we have different grasses here.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
It's not really true winter yet, but I've noticed that one part of the "winter blues" in addition to lack of light/cloud and cold, is the psychological feeling of all the vegetation being dead.

By late October after most of the leaves fall, I usually don't see the tree leaves come up until around early May. The needleleaf evergreens are all dull and dark too, so the trees look really depressing to me.

Sometimes I like to have a tropical plant or two or my desk, in addition to bright lights, just so there's "greenery" to look at.

Does anyone else feel this way?

By the way, I'm sure missing "green vegetation" is not limited to areas with coldness and there are people who are depressed in dry arid seasons/places. After all, one of the 7 wonders of the world, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon was apparently built for a king's wife who missed the greenery after moving to the desert.
While I do not particularly enjoy the stark, drab appearance of vegetation in the winter, I know that it does make me appreciate those little green sprouts that appear on the trees around end of March. I await them so anxiously!

In the mean time, cedars and pine trees to help a little.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,378,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
What kind of palm trees are those? Windmill?

What is the northernmost point on the east coast where pinnate leaved palms grow?
Since everyone like the pics, I found a few more.

Pinnate palms (shaped more like feathers) grow as far north as southeastern North Carolina (on the East Coast) and San Jose, CA (on the West Coast). Pinnate palms are as a rule less cold hardy than fan palms from what I understand. Here is a picture of Butia Capitata (Jelly Palm)…near Myrtle Beach, SC a few winters back:

Here is an interesting picture in front of the Margaritaville Bar in Myrtle Beach in December 2007 which shows several types of palms. The one on the far right is the Trachycapus foutunie (Windmill Palm) – a fan palm, which are a little hardier than pinnate palms. The truck of this one is better able to take the cold (it looks almost like burlap). The smaller one to the far left, is a small Sabal...and the very small one at the bottom right is a Sago Palm (not a really a palm but a Cycad):

Here is the familiar Sabal Palmetto found from east Texas to North Carolina…and in some places on the West Coast, though they don't do well as they need heat to grow large. Sabal is actually has costapalmate fronds – a cross between a fan and feather palm. The first pic was near South of the Border along the North and South Carolina state line and the second pic was on the strip in North Myrtle Beach:

One last note: Someone was wondering about grass...often because of the hot and sunny summers in the south/Gulf states…the lawn grass often will look very light colored by late fall. Most of the time, the grass is the deepest green in early summer, when the wet season has had several months to turn the grass deep green...and the intense sun of summer and fall have not had a chance to burn it/dry it out. This is even true deep into Florida. One must not forget these are very sunny climates, and open grass has a tough battle to stay green after mid summer. Grass looks better from Feb to June...than from July to December often. Here is a December picture just north of Delray Beach …and even here the grass looks patchy green in spots:

Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

One last note: Someone was wondering about grass...often because of the hot and sunny summers in the south/Gulf states…the lawn grass often will look very light colored by late fall. Most of the time, the grass is the deepest green in early summer, when the wet season has had several months to turn the grass deep green...and the intense sun of summer and fall have not had a chance to burn it/dry it out. This is even true deep into Florida. One must not forget these are very sunny climates, and open grass has a tough battle to stay green after mid summer. Grass looks better from Feb to June...than from July to December often. Here is a December picture just north of Delray Beach …and even here the grass looks patchy green in spots:
Although cooler winters may brown the grass a bit in the southeast, I would think late summer through October would be the worst time for grass considering the combination of the strong sun as well as much dryer air and fewer showers and thunderstorms.

May sound like a silly question, but how strong is the sun in the middle of winter in the deep south? Since much of winter is still sunny, I would assume that might play a role. Or would the cooler temperatures/precipitation play a more significant role than the sun during the winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather