Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times

Advertisements

In oceanic coastal areas I can understand the term "4 seasons in one day". When I was in SE England I noticed this.

Strong sunshine, feels hot out of the wind. Then, you walk along the coast and the seabreeze is very strong and when the sun goes behind clouds it feels very cold! This can be all within a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
In oceanic coastal areas I can understand the term "4 seasons in one day". When I was in SE England I noticed this.

Strong sunshine, feels hot out of the wind. Then, you walk along the coast and the seabreeze is very strong and when the sun goes behind clouds it feels very cold! This can be all within a few minutes.
You get sea breezes and cloud together? The English coast sounds miserable, if it's as you describe.

Perhaps seabreeze has a different meaning there.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-20-2014 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You get sea breezes and cloud together? The English coast sounds miserable, if it's as you describe.

Perhaps seabreeze has a different meaning there.
In the week I stayed there, mornings were clear and sunny, the inland temperatures were up to about 19-21 degrees during the day, and the wind would build up around that time (1-3PM), becoming quite strong by the sea. 0.5-1 mile inland, the wind was hardly apparent at all, and it felt relatively hot.

There would be scattered clouds mid afternoon (around 30-40% cloud) for a few hours, maybe building to the odd shower or thunderstorm then it would clear up by about 5-6PM and be scattered clouds to clear in the evening. The wind would die down by about 6PM leaving it feeling very mild, so about 6PM would be the warmest feeling time of day.

The weather was colder than average and windier than average however; the people I was staying with said July was quite warm and felt much better due to the settled weather and far less wind. This was July at the nearest airfield:

Climate in Manston in July 2014 - Historical weather records

16km/hr mean wind speeds for July, but the airport is about 0.5-1 mile inland. The winds are only strong on the coast. I chose a bad week to go down there anyway.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
never

Melbourne summer and denver winter/spring comes to mind

Old 04-14-2015, 04:54 PM

824 posts, read 688,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
How often do you get "4 seasons in 1 day" weather where you live? This country has a reputation for getting a lot of it, which may be a bit exaggerated , but we would still get more than most places. Where I live it seems to be mainly a late autumn until late spring event whereas, places like Dunedin, Invercargill, and Wellington can seem to get it throughout the year. I really enjoy it , as it can mean rapid changes, spectacular skies,and is generally impressive- all good stuff from a weather watching perspective. I would think it is more of a feature of cooler maritime climates, but I'm interested in how common and dramatic this is in other members locations.
Not often. It happened a lot last fall though. One day I had to some work outside, and it went from my hands being numb in the morning, to being stupidly sweaty and pestered by insects in the afternoon. (This was Mid- October, if I remember correctly). I bet it had a "fall," too, but I wasn't out there that long. The difference was quite stark, considering I remember the day.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:49 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
it happens in patagonia,where it could be snowing at morning and in evening reach 20C!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 373 times
I live in northern Michigan and it's like Drew Carey says Michigan where the weather's made up and the seasons don't matter. four seasons in one day means it could be 90 and sunny out one minute and in about an hour it's snowy and cold and then it's rainy kind of warm or cold then it's back in the 90s again closer you are to the Great Lakes the more weather change you will experience it could be sunny and snow and then be freezing and rain here in Michigan it's crazy literally but it keeps you on your toes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather