Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM

102 posts, read 146,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Are there a lot of drizzly days in Christchurch during the summer? If it's just cloudy and 65-70 F, you could still do outdoor activities (sports, BBQs, etc.) Actually sounds ideal for sports. I guess the only thing you couldn't do is swim on those days.
A cloudy 65-70F day in mid summer would be just plain depressing. Wouldn't be bothered with a BBQ, but it's ideal for sport. Such days are common in southern Victoria, especially the SW coast.

A typical summer month in one of mainland Australia's worst climates, Portland Victoria. Note all the sub 20C days

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201001/html/IDCJDW3068.201001.shtml (broken link)

And this past December http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201012/html/IDCJDW3068.201012.shtml (broken link)

Last edited by Sun_dog; 01-06-2011 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
A cloudy 65-70F day in mid summer would be just plain depressing. Wouldn't be bothered with a BBQ, but it's ideal for sport. Such days are common in southern Victoria, especially the SW coast.

A typical summer month in one of mainland Australia's worst climates, Portland Victoria. Not all the sub 20C days

Portland, Vic - January 2010 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201001/html/IDCJDW3068.201001.shtml - broken link)

And this past December Portland, Vic - December 2010 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201012/html/IDCJDW3068.201012.shtml - broken link)
You shouldn't need a jacket in summer.

Having said that I'm not a fan of sub-zero winter temps. I usually don't have a problem with Melbourne winters, in fact I think I have a bigger problem with Melbourne summers.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,235,718 times
Quote:

A typical summer month in one of mainland Australia's worst climates, Portland Victoria. Note all the sub 20C days

Portland, Vic - January 2010 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201001/html/IDCJDW3068.201001.shtml - broken link)

And this past December Portland, Vic - December 2010 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201012/html/IDCJDW3068.201012.shtml - broken link)
A cloudy 65-70 F are my favorite days of spring and summer. They're the exception rather than the norm where I live though. Portland sounds very pleasant. Still manages to get quite hot a few days a month. I think even I wouldn't mind it for variety's sake since all the other days are very comfortable.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM

102 posts, read 146,633 times
Quote:
A cloudy 65-70 F are my favorite days of spring and summer. They're the exception rather than the norm where I live though. Portland sounds very pleasant. Still manages to get quite hot a few days a month. I think even I wouldn't mind it for variety's sake since all the other days are very comfortable.
Yeah it looks like it'll suit you, but winters may be too mild if you like snow or "real" cold

I went there a couple of years ago for a week in Mid-January and hated it. There was always a cool, stiff breeze blowing in from the ocean, which made fishing down at the breakwater a cold blustery experience, and you'd see everyone standing there in jumpers and jackets I remember we try to sit as close to the water as possible so the concrete and rock pier structure would protect us from the wind. The temp never actually exceeded 20C/68F. The sky always had that washed out, wintry baby-blue colour and clouds were those classic scuddy stratocumulus lame-fest. One morning was a doozy, drizzly wind-driven rain, biting wind chill and it was ridiculous everyone was rugged up like in a New York winter And to cap it off, on our last morning, the temp dropped to 1C / 33F.

Attractive little town though. I wouldn't mind living there if the climate wasn't so cold.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,720,134 times
For me, as much as I love heat, I hate winter cold even more and so I would trade a mildish/anemic summer in order to avoid snowfall and frost in winter.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah it looks like it'll suit you, but winters may be too mild if you like snow or "real" cold

I went there a couple of years ago for a week in Mid-January and hated it. There was always a cool, stiff breeze blowing in from the ocean, which made fishing down at the breakwater a cold blustery experience, and you'd see everyone standing there in jumpers and jackets I remember we try to sit as close to the water as possible so the concrete and rock pier structure would protect us from the wind. The temp never actually exceeded 20C/68F. The sky always had that washed out, wintry baby-blue colour and clouds were those classic scuddy stratocumulus lame-fest. One morning was a doozy, drizzly wind-driven rain, biting wind chill and it was ridiculous everyone was rugged up like in a New York winter And to cap it off, on our last morning, the temp dropped to 1C / 33F.

Attractive little town though. I wouldn't mind living there if the climate wasn't so cold.
That's my one issue with the lack of snow in most maritime climates. But I think I would be willing to trade it in for cloudier, wetter, cooler conditions year-round. Those conditions you described are similar to my "dream climate's" summers.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,370,544 times
Quote:
Kansas City for me, they get a proper summer (with a lot more thunderstorms than Christchurch) and the winters are not as bad as further north.

Christchurch gets warm/hot days no doubt, but the problem is it's not consistant and is invariably offset by cold, cloudy miserable days, which can last for days or even weeks as in Melbourne.
That interesting that you pick Kansas City...and you might have it the nail on the head: I think in a lot of the Northern Hemisphere the best climates in the middle latitudes (broadly from 30 to 50 N) are located just to the south of the latitude of KC (36 -38 North roughly):

Although I don’t have any maps of Asia...the USA/Canada is a good example: Many locations in the 36 to 38 North zone get a good long hot and sunny summer (highs in the middle 80’s F (dashed lines put in by me for the 35 to 39 zone)...

JULY

Yet in winter have highs in the middle 40’s (F), which is enough to melt most of the fleeting snow that falls (outside of mts areas). Also, at this latitude winters tend to be sunnier than points to the north:

JAN:

I don't know how similar latitudes in Asia might compare, but they seem like they would be better in this zone than point north.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM

^Do you have a map of the sunshine hours in January?

For those who want variety, a place like Kansas City would be a good option. Summers are bit hot for me, but winters seem pretty tolerable. But it's important to keep in mind of the arctic outbreaks that affect this part of the country. Next week might drop down to 4 F/-15.5 C, for example. All time record low is -19 F/-28.5 C.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,072,881 times
Quote:
Kansas City for me, they get a proper summer (with a lot more thunderstorms than Christchurch) and the winters are not as bad as further north.

Christchurch gets warm/hot days no doubt, but the problem is it's not consistant and is invariably offset by cold, cloudy miserable days, which can last for days or even weeks as in Melbourne.
KC for me too. Summers are nice and hot, but not nearly as hot as Phoenix or Las Vegas and probably a lot less humid than Florida (I assume). Winters are cold (about 8 C colder than ChCh winters, which are already very miserable for me) but not nearly as severe as any number of other North American cities and it would have a decent amount of snow too.

The thunderstorms are a plus too. You're lucky if you get one thunderstorm per year in ChCh compared to 52 in KC.

The general patern in ChCh is one or two 27+ C / 80+ F days (the minimum for what I would term a 'proper' summer day) followed by a whole week of cloudy, drizzly 18 - 21 C / 65 - 70 F days. The hot days are usually cloudy as well due to the nor'west arch and the hot period of the day often only lasts half an hour or so during which the NW winds are strongest, then the sou'west change comes through and it's straight back down to 18 C.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,072,881 times
Quote:
Are there a lot of drizzly days in Christchurch during the summer? If it's just cloudy and 65-70 F, you could still do outdoor activities (sports, BBQs, etc.) Actually sounds ideal for sports. I guess the only thing you couldn't do is swim on those days.
Yes, about one out of three summer days has some drizzle.

The problem with 65 - 70 F is that even a small amount of wind can ruin everything. A sunny 65 - 70 F with no wind is quite pleasant to me (pretty much my ideal winter weather, similar to what you'd find during winter in L.A., Orlando, Perth, Brisbane, etc.).

Even when it's 80+ F you need to be tough to swim in our 57 F waters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather