Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
At 72F with a breeze, I'm very comfortable in the shade, unless I'm doing strenuous exercise or something. In the sun in the same conditions, I'd feel warm but I'd hesitate to say uncomfortable. Keep in mind I'm talking about my current location. In Tennessee 72F in the sun is different, and I would almost definitely be uncomfortable unless the humidity happened to be uncharacteristically low. When biking in the sun in 70-75F temps, I'm almost certainly covered pretty thoroughly in sweat. Not the drenching, dripping sweat of biking in 95+F weather in TN, but still pretty sweaty. In the shade in the same temperatures I'll still be sweating, but not nearly as much. The sun on my skin makes a huge difference for me, apparently.
Sun makes a huge difference on my skin too.
I can feel warm in just a bathing suit at 60 F with strong sun and light enough winds.
I can feel cold at 74 F, dry air, wind and shade.

But I basically like everything you don't.
I prefer no breeze at 72 F, sun heat vs. shade, excersize below 75 F vs. relaxing.
I don't usually pay attention to sweating,
but I might be happiest with a light sweat.

Do you always prefer a cool-cold sensation?
I remember we dress similarly for temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Sun makes a huge difference on my skin too.
I can feel warm in just a bathing suit at 60 F with strong sun and light enough winds.
I can feel cold at 74 F, dry air, wind and shade.

But I basically like everything you don't.
I prefer no breeze at 72 F, sun heat vs. shade, excersize below 75 F vs. relaxing.
I don't usually pay attention to sweating,
but I might be happiest with a light sweat.

Do you always prefer a cool-cold sensation?
I remember we dress similarly for temps.
Well, when it's really cold outside and I've been out in it (like biking from work in the winter), I enjoy coming home to a warm, cozy house/apartment. But by "warm" I just mean warmer than outside. I usually keep the house at 64 or so in winter. So I guess I never prefer what you would probably call "warm". And I despise the feeling of sweat. Just a little tiny bit doesn't bother me much, but I'd always rather be not sweating as opposed to sweating. I can't imagine I would ever feel cold in 74F temps, no matter what. And if I'm going to exercise, my ideal temperature is probably 50-60 or so. I've never experienced a temperature so low that I couldn't bicycle to work, for example. I routinely rode when it was in the teens, and several times in single digits. Once when it was 3F and the windchill was surely below 0. I was cold, but not miserable or even especially uncomfortable. But riding to work in TN in anything over 60-65F was almost always too warm, unless the humidity was unusually low. Here 60-65F would probably be a little chilly to me on a bicycle, but if I rode long enough it would become reasonably comfortable, though I'd probably still sweat a little. I actually haven't tried it yet, because so far every time I've ridden here was in the afternoon.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Well, when it's really cold outside and I've been out in it (like biking from work in the winter), I enjoy coming home to a warm, cozy house/apartment. But by "warm" I just mean warmer than outside. I usually keep the house at 64 or so in winter. So I guess I never prefer what you would probably call "warm". And I despise the feeling of sweat.
"warm" for me is noticing body-warmth in every body part, all at the same time.
I don't have that in most places with air conditioning without a hot cup of coffee or heavy excersize.

You despise sweat,
but I despise having cool/cold spots, even if most of me is warm.
Typically I'm usually comfortable except for a few body parts at room temp.
Probably because I have many memories of weather where I have no cool spots.
I don't have to be very warm, just not having parts that are cool makes me happy.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
"warm" for me is noticing body-warmth in every body part, all at the same time.
I don't have that in most places with air conditioning without a hot cup of coffee or heavy excersize.

You despise sweat,
but I despise having cool/cold spots, even if most of me is warm.
Typically I'm usually comfortable except for a few body parts at room temp.
Probably because I have many memories of weather where I have no cool spots.
I don't have to be very warm, just not having parts that are cool makes me happy.
Interesting. I think the only times I ever feel that certain areas of my body are cooler than others is when it's quite cold (maybe freezing or less) and I'm either moving and exposed to the wind (like on a bicycle) or I'm not properly dressed. For example, when riding to work in the winter my feet would often feel noticeably cooler than, say, my torso, which would be warm. Cooler, but not painfully cold. But my hands would often feel quite cold, sometimes enough to actually hurt. My face would be similar, though a cold face doesn't seem to bother me as much as cold hands. I've been on a forklift outside in a pipe yard in cold weather long enough for my feet to actually be painfully cold, but they weren't moving as much as when riding a bike. Very rarely has my entire body ever been painfully cold. Actually, I can't recall a single instance in winter where most of my body felt anything but moderately cool to warm, except when I was seriously under-dressed. It's generally just my extremities that seem to ever feel uncomfortable in cold weather.

I think probably any time the temperature is 60 or more, my entire body will almost certainly feel "warm". Not necessarily uncomfortable, but I don't think I'd ever feel chilly in 60F+ temps, unless I were covered in water, or naked for some reason, etc. I'm talking about normal, dry weather, assuming I'm not drastically under-dressed. Today I went downtown and did quite a bit of walking, and it was in the mid to high 70s and sunny. While I was walking in the sun, I was sweating somewhat from my head/face and back, but I wasn't terribly uncomfortable. In the shade I was quite comfortable, because that combined with the sweat and the air moving across my body was enough to start cooling me down at least some. I've also walked by the bay here when the temp was in the high 60s and the sun was setting, and I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and was still slightly warm from the activity of walking quite a bit, yet I saw quite a few people wearing jackets. One lady even had her hood pulled up and tied tightly around her head. Meanwhile I was sweating slightly! I would often bike to work when it was 50-55F wearing just a t-shirt and jeans, but I'd put on some thin gloves and a hat, because my hands and ears would get chilly. But if I had worn any more than that, I would have gotten a little warm. I've found I have to wear less when biking than walking, despite creating my own windchill.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I think the only times I ever feel that certain areas of my body are cooler than others is when it's quite cold (maybe freezing or less) and I'm either moving and exposed to the wind (like on a bicycle) or I'm not properly dressed. For example, when riding to work in the winter my feet would often feel noticeably cooler than, say, my torso, which would be warm. Cooler, but not painfully cold. But my hands would often feel quite cold, sometimes enough to actually hurt. My face would be similar, though a cold face doesn't seem to bother me as much as cold hands. I've been on a forklift outside in a pipe yard in cold weather long enough for my feet to actually be painfully cold, but they weren't moving as much as when riding a bike. Very rarely has my entire body ever been painfully cold. Actually, I can't recall a single instance in winter where most of my body felt anything but moderately cool to warm, except when I was seriously under-dressed. It's generally just my extremities that seem to ever feel uncomfortable in cold weather.

I think probably any time the temperature is 60 or more, my entire body will almost certainly feel "warm". Not necessarily uncomfortable, but I don't think I'd ever feel chilly in 60F+ temps, unless I were covered in water, or naked for some reason, etc. I'm talking about normal, dry weather, assuming I'm not drastically under-dressed. Today I went downtown and did quite a bit of walking, and it was in the mid to high 70s and sunny. While I was walking in the sun, I was sweating somewhat from my head/face and back, but I wasn't terribly uncomfortable. In the shade I was quite comfortable, because that combined with the sweat and the air moving across my body was enough to start cooling me down at least some. I've also walked by the bay here when the temp was in the high 60s and the sun was setting, and I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and was still slightly warm from the activity of walking quite a bit, yet I saw quite a few people wearing jackets. One lady even had her hood pulled up and tied tightly around her head. Meanwhile I was sweating slightly! I would often bike to work when it was 50-55F wearing just a t-shirt and jeans, but I'd put on some thin gloves and a hat, because my hands and ears would get chilly. But if I had worn any more than that, I would have gotten a little warm. I've found I have to wear less when biking than walking, despite creating my own windchill.
So that could explain why you prefer cool/cold weather.
It's not that you don't want body warmth in every body part,
but it seems that it's quite rare that you don't.

*In that case, you and I are closer in comfort preferences than I'd thought.

Do you think you'd hate cool or cold weather if it meant you had body parts that would never warm up?
I can layer my shirts and pants so that I'm nearly sweating,
yet still have cool spots that have lower than ideal temperature for 1-2 hrs, 3+ hrs... maybe all day long!

Kaul takes it to the extreme.
With my body type and his temp preference,
he seems to loathe anything resembling body-warmth.
Anytime I'd feel my body start to work properly, he'd be upset.

If it's been very hot outside, I can rapidly adapt
but when that happens I can feel cold once it drops below 80 F.
When that happens, I can wear a hoodie and long pants at 79 F and not sweat noticeably, if the dewpoint is below 75 F.
Within a few days after a heatwave, I might be warm enough at 68 F outside.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
So that could explain why you prefer cool/cold weather.
It's not that you don't want body warmth in every body part,
but it seems that it's quite rare that you don't.

*In that case, you and I are closer in comfort preferences than I'd thought.

Do you think you'd hate cool or cold weather if it meant you had body parts that would never warm up?
I can layer my shirts and pants so that I'm nearly sweating,
yet still have cool spots that have lower than ideal temperature for 1-2 hrs, 3+ hrs... maybe all day long!

Kaul takes it to the extreme.
With my body type and his temp preference,
he seems to loathe anything resembling body-warmth.
Anytime I'd feel my body start to work properly, he'd be upset.

If it's been very hot outside, I can rapidly adapt
but when that happens I can feel cold once it drops below 80 F.
When that happens, I can wear a hoodie and long pants at 79 F and not sweat noticeably, if the dewpoint is below 75 F.
Within a few days after a heatwave, I might be warm enough at 68 F outside.
I suppose I might in that case. I guess it would be similar to how, in hot weather, nothing short of being inside with air conditioning will cool me down. I can't ever recall feeling comfortable outside when the temperature was over 90, even with a fairly low dew point. I've been relatively comfortable (ie, comfortable enough to not be miserable) outdoors with a low dew point and relative humidity with temperatures in the mid to high 80s, but even then I would have been more comfortable if the temperature had been 20 degrees cooler. In hot, humid conditions, I never adapt enough to feel anything other than extreme discomfort. It just doesn't happen for me. If I can sit perfectly still, in the shade, with a breeze, then I can reduce that discomfort a bit, but I'm still miserable.

It's funny, the last part of your post very nearly describes the weather conditions here the last few days: High 70s to 80, dew points of no more than 60, sunny, and with a breeze. With some physical activity for more than a few minutes, I'll start to sweat some in these conditions. Not terribly, mind you, unless I were on an especially strenuous bike ride or something. But there's no way I could comfortably wear a hoodie in this weather and be comfortable. Maybe sitting in dark shade in an area with a strong breeze, but I'd still be more comfortable in just a t-shirt. Also, I always wear long pants. In fact, I don't think I even own any shorts!

A last note: In the store earlier I heard a woman behind me in line complaining to her husband about how hot 79 degrees felt outside. I decided not to tell her that it felt great to me, coming from TN where it might be 79 with MUCH higher humidity at 7am.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I suppose I might in that case. I guess it would be similar to how, in hot weather, nothing short of being inside with air conditioning will cool me down. I can't ever recall feeling comfortable outside when the temperature was over 90, even with a fairly low dew point. I've been relatively comfortable (ie, comfortable enough to not be miserable) outdoors with a low dew point and relative humidity with temperatures in the mid to high 80s, but even then I would have been more comfortable if the temperature had been 20 degrees cooler. In hot, humid conditions, I never adapt enough to feel anything other than extreme discomfort. It just doesn't happen for me. If I can sit perfectly still, in the shade, with a breeze, then I can reduce that discomfort a bit, but I'm still miserable.
Ah ha!
That probably explains why I don't understand the fuss about non-life threatening heat.

I always have rare moments where I can totally forget about it, especially if it's only in the mid-90's F.
But yeah, even low 100's F I can be ignorant to the heat, even standing in the sunshine, for spells lasting 10-20 seconds.
Back that down to 90 F with humidity under 50% and potentially I could go hours without noticing heat, if not at least 10-20 minute stretches.
It's never relentless for me, in that you don't know when your brain will stop sending you constant signals that it's hot.

By contrast, I can never "not notice" it's cold somewhere below 45 F.

Quote:
It's funny, the last part of your post very nearly describes the weather conditions here the last few days: High 70s to 80, dew points of no more than 60, sunny, and with a breeze. With some physical activity for more than a few minutes, I'll start to sweat some in these conditions. Not terribly, mind you, unless I were on an especially strenuous bike ride or something. But there's no way I could comfortably wear a hoodie in this weather and be comfortable. Maybe sitting in dark shade in an area with a strong breeze, but I'd still be more comfortable in just a t-shirt. Also, I always wear long pants. In fact, I don't think I even own any shorts!

A last note: In the store earlier I heard a woman behind me in line complaining to her husband about how hot 79 degrees felt outside. I decided not to tell her that it felt great to me, coming from TN where it might be 79 with MUCH higher humidity at 7am.
Well I would normally feel like I'm steaming myself too in a hoodie and pants at 79 F:
this is after high-heat adaptation, which you don't seem to have.

You don't own shorts?
I wonder if your legs would blind people on a sunny day at the beach.
Some people are that pale, it literally stings your eyes to look at them, when the sun shines on them.

My legs match the rest of me; a creamy, honey-coloured tan.
(I've found that sun exposure is often a great substitute when I don't have ideal temperatures)

Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Ah ha!
That probably explains why I don't understand the fuss about non-life threatening heat.

I always have rare moments where I can totally forget about it, especially if it's only in the mid-90's F.
But yeah, even low 100's F I can be ignorant to the heat, even standing in the sunshine, for spells lasting 10-20 seconds.
Back that down to 90 F with humidity under 50% and potentially I could go hours without noticing heat, if not at least 10-20 minute stretches.
It's never relentless for me, in that you don't know when your brain will stop sending you constant signals that it's hot.

By contrast, I can never "not notice" it's cold somewhere below 45 F.

Well I would normally feel like I'm steaming myself too in a hoodie and pants at 79 F:
this is after high-heat adaptation, which you don't seem to have.

You don't own shorts?
I wonder if your legs would blind people on a sunny day at the beach.
Some people are that pale, it literally stings your eyes to look at them, when the sun shines on them.

My legs match the rest of me; a creamy, honey-coloured tan.
(I've found that sun exposure is often a great substitute when I don't have ideal temperatures)
I can honestly say I don't think I ever forget about the heat when I'm out in it. I'm constantly reminded of it, what with the sweat pouring out all over my body and running into my eyes, my clothes all sticking to me, and of course being covered in bugs that are also becoming stuck to my sweat. But I also don't "forget" about the cold either, at least not when it's very cold. Mid 30s and up I can forget about. Maybe even low 30s depending on how well I'm dressed and what I'm doing. But below that if nothing else the extra clothing reminds me, and my hands and feet will always be noticeably colder than the rest of my body.

Yes, my legs would definitely blind innocent passersby. The odd thing is, I used to wear shorts all summer long when I was young, and my legs would never become tan. Sometimes they'd even get sunburned, but in a few days they'd just be pasty white again. Although I'm sure they must have gotten a little more tan than at the beginning of the summer, but not enough to call "tan". I finally just gave up and started wearing long pants all year. Shorts would keep me a little cooler, but not enough to make me comfortable. And later I started working in warehouses where wearing shorts could mean injury, so I just don't own any now. I have a very fair complexion, with blond hair and blue eyes. But my face and forearms become pretty tan during summer. I guess they have simply been exposed to sun so much more than the rest of me over the years that they tan reasonably well. But the legs (or any other area), not so much. My upper body will burn badly in a short amount of time, so it's been a long, long time since I've even bothered trying to make it tan. Also, because laying out in the sun is a positively miserable experience to me anyway. Any time the sun is out in full force, I'm always trying to find a spot to avoid it. Unless it's just very, very cold and I'm under-dressed for some reason.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I can honestly say I don't think I ever forget about the heat when I'm out in it. I'm constantly reminded of it, what with the sweat pouring out all over my body and running into my eyes, my clothes all sticking to me, and of course being covered in bugs that are also becoming stuck to my sweat. But I also don't "forget" about the cold either, at least not when it's very cold. Mid 30s and up I can forget about. Maybe even low 30s depending on how well I'm dressed and what I'm doing. But below that if nothing else the extra clothing reminds me, and my hands and feet will always be noticeably colder than the rest of my body.

If you could forget about the temperatures sometimes while it's 94 F, would you still hate it?
Or would that be a miracle, making 94 F feel somewhat-temperate?

Quote:
Yes, my legs would definitely blind innocent passersby.
I knew it.

Quote:
The odd thing is, I used to wear shorts all summer long when I was young, and my legs would never become tan. Sometimes they'd even get sunburned, but in a few days they'd just be pasty white again. Although I'm sure they must have gotten a little more tan than at the beginning of the summer, but not enough to call "tan". I finally just gave up and started wearing long pants all year. Shorts would keep me a little cooler, but not enough to make me comfortable. And later I started working in warehouses where wearing shorts could mean injury, so I just don't own any now. I have a very fair complexion, with blond hair and blue eyes. But my face and forearms become pretty tan during summer. I guess they have simply been exposed to sun so much more than the rest of me over the years that they tan reasonably well. But the legs (or any other area), not so much. My upper body will burn badly in a short amount of time, so it's been a long, long time since I've even bothered trying to make it tan. Also, because laying out in the sun is a positively miserable experience to me anyway. Any time the sun is out in full force, I'm always trying to find a spot to avoid it. Unless it's just very, very cold and I'm under-dressed for some reason.
Some people have body parts that tan a bit easier than the rest of them.
You sound like you are a Fitzpatrick skin type 2.
Type 1's can't tan; they just go red, white, red, white.

I feel lucky that my skin never burnt as a kid, just get very tanned.
I'd practically live outdoors in summer. Easily 20+ hrs every week.
I also have blond hair and blue eyes.

My face, forearms and legs will take ages to burn, I really have to be stupid to burn them
while my upper arms, chest and back might burn after an hour.
I am more sensitive to the sun now then when I was a kid, but still reasonably-insensitive to UV.

I wonder if burning when you were a kid influenced your preference for cooler temperatures.

Lots of fair skinned people here. At times I feel like a black man.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
If you could forget about the temperatures sometimes while it's 94 F, would you still hate it?
Or would that be a miracle, making 94 F feel somewhat-temperate?
I think that would truly be a miracle. I honestly can't even fathom it long enough to speculate!

Quote:
Some people have body parts that tan a bit easier than the rest of them.
You sound like you are a Fitzpatrick skin type 2.
Type 1's can't tan; they just go red, white, red, white.

I feel lucky that my skin never burnt as a kid, just get very tanned.
I'd practically live outdoors in summer. Easily 20+ hrs every week.
I also have blond hair and blue eyes.

My face, forearms and legs will take ages to burn, I really have to be stupid to burn them
while my upper arms, chest and back might burn after an hour.
I am more sensitive to the sun now then when I was a kid, but still reasonably-insensitive to UV.

I wonder if burning when you were a kid influenced your preference for cooler temperatures.

Lots of fair skinned people here. At times I feel like a black man.
My forearms and face can and do burn, but I have to be in the sun quite a bit for it to be noticeable. But my upper body will burn quite a bit, honestly, in maybe 20 to 30 minutes of full sun exposure. It's ridiculous how quickly my pasty areas burn! (Apologies for how disgusting that sentence probably sounded )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather