Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times

Advertisements

Now that it’s officially April …I though weather watchers in the USA and southern Canada would be interested to see what the spring forecast (April 1st to June 1st) looks like in terms of temps and precipitation:

As we move through April certain features start to make their appearance in the USA and southern Canada on the daily weather map:

1) In the northern tier of the USA/southern Canada… precip becomes more localized and spotty in nature (due to the increased heating and rising air).

2) Across the southern subtropical tier – the subtropical highs start increasing in size and strength and move toward the lower West and East Coast of the USA: The Pacific High moves to the latitude of the central California coast, so storm tracks move northward and precipitation becomes less across southern California. The Bermuda High/south Atlantic High also moves closer to the mainland and intensifies, so storm tracks move northward, rainfall becomes less, and the heat starts building in the Gulf and south Atlantic states. The dry season and fire danger really ramp up in Florida in April.

3) The thermal low begins to reappear in the Desert southwest/northern Mexico – so heat and dryness return to the American Southwestern states.

4) The path of polar highs from northwestern Canada into the USA Midwest/Great Plains slowly becomes replaced with highs moving from west to east across the Pacific Ocean, so the number of sub 32 F (0 C) nights starts to fall quickly in the northern USA and southern Canada. During the month of April – the solar angle moves ten degrees northward to about 15 North (the latitude of Guatemala and Honduras).

According to NOAA, spring 2011 (April 1 to June 1) looks like it will warmer than normal across much of the southern tier (southern California to South Carolina)…and cooler than normal in the Western High Plains and Pacific Northwest. In terms of precipitation – much of the same areas that look to be warmer than normal look to be drier than normal:

Just for balance - here are the forecast highs for Saturday - …most areas close to climo, although places in the southern Plains/Rockies (Denver, KC, ..etc) will be above normal, and it looks like the thermal high is getting started early in the Desert Southwest – Phoenix may get close to 100 F:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nomadct/temps42.jpg (broken link)

Here comes spring 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Typical La Nina pattern. Tends to be drier and warmer in the southern half of the country, cooler and wetter in the northern tier. The NWS has been forecasting this model since last fall.

Ian

Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
Just wish the temps would be more stable. Getting tired of the one day it's nice then the next is cold.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
The forecast for being dryer than average is certainly troubling considering the drought conditions across the south. Looks like there has been some improvements, but who knows how long they'll last. Seems as though Louisiana, for example, has been in a drought for quite some time. Florida could certainly use more rain as well.

US Drought Monitor

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
It feels the weather hasn't really warmed up much this way.. 46F high in Seattle as evidence of this on that map.. I do feel the higher solar angle though if that's any consolation.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM

175 posts, read 324,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It feels the weather hasn't really warmed up much this way.. 46F high in Seattle as evidence of this on that map.. I do feel the higher solar angle though if that's any consolation.
A University of Washington professor made a really good point about the Pacific Northwest spring (which should also include the southwest part of British Columbia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clifford Mass
In the eastern part of the U.S. there are frequently big storms in March---remember the old saw of March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb? For us, March should be replaced by February.

But we pay for our early spring in a strange way...it never ends! Our spring often lasts into early July, while in the east summer-like weather starts in May and June.
Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Endless Spring

I think an early April daily high in the mid 40s is not that strange over there.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Yeah not that strange for sure... but not enjoyable for me either. I like warmth and heat.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:13 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
Good news for my wife, but I guess I'm okay with it as well. As long as it's not HOT!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The forecast for being dryer than average is certainly troubling considering the drought conditions across the south. Looks like there has been some improvements, but who knows how long they'll last. Seems as though Louisiana, for example, has been in a drought for quite some time. Florida could certainly use more rain as well.

US Drought Monitor
Yeah, it's been like that since early last year, maybe even longer. It's interesting that much of central/southeastern Mississippi has received plenty of rain while northern Louisiana just across the river is in a severe/extreme drought. My only possible guess since I'm not a meteorologist is that, since last year, rain-producing systems haven't been fueled by the Gulf of Mexico until they come across the Mississippi River.

Here's an example of what I mean:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/jan/W...r_rainfall.png
Some rainfall on March 8th-9th. Southeastern Mississippi received flooding rains while much of northern Louisiana didn't receive half an inch.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM

14,326 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Interesting, and not a major surprise! April 3rd and we had rain/sleet/hail/huge snowflakes plus a thunder/lightning, too this a.m.! Spring in the midwest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather