Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

I've heard Americans on this board pretty much compare the Southern United States to Venus in heat discomfort. I've heard some say it's 'way worse than the Desert Southwest' due to the increased humidity, but looking at the stats, the South doesn't seem all THAT bad, especially compared to some other climates.

For instance, most southern cities average lows of 20 to 22 and highs of 31-33 in the summer months, with humidity fairly highish in the 60-80% range, but this pattern is common in many tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world. It's certainly not as hellish as say Chennai, Djibouti or Wyndham, with temps more in the 29-39C type range with humidities of 80 and above. The heat index would be well above 37.7C (100F) most of the time with dewpoints in the mid-20s and above.

Not even that, but many tropical locales average more like 24,25-33C and above, which is hotter than the South. I'm sure the South is significantly worse than say, LA or Boston in summer, especially with the combination of relative sunniness for a humid climate, but is it as truly unbearable as some make out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,209,139 times
Sure, the region is not any worse than other subtropical or tropical locales, but the heat combined with the sun can still be uncomfortable for many. I remember reading a book from the 1800s where the South was considered perfect for slave labor because it was referred to as "nearly tropical" and too unbearable during the summer for white labor.

Last edited by Nivalis; 05-06-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard Americans on this board pretty much compare the Southern United States to Venus in heat discomfort. I've heard some say it's 'way worse than the Desert Southwest' due to the increased humidity, but looking at the stats, the South doesn't seem all THAT bad, especially compared to some other climates.

For instance, most southern cities average lows of 20 to 22 and highs of 31-33 in the summer months, with humidity fairly highish in the 60-80% range, but this pattern is common in many tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world. It's certainly not as hellish as say Chennai, Djibouti or Wyndham, with temps more in the 29-39C type range with humidities of 80 and above. The heat index would be well above 37.7C (100F) most of the time with dewpoints in the mid-20s and above.

Not even that, but many tropical locales average more like 24,25-33C and above, which is hotter than the South. I'm sure the South is significantly worse than say, LA or Boston in summer, especially with the combination of relative sunniness for a humid climate, but is it as truly unbearable as some make out?
Our country is not only the most politically divide nation on earth (lol)…but the most climatically dived one as well. People either love the warmth and sunshine….or love the cold/snow/stormy weather.

As someone who has lived in the “southernmost” place of all on the USA mainland (metro South Florida) summer weather is far nicer and enjoyable than in the hot Desert Southwest. When it’s 87 F in Miami you are outside in the pool, at the beach watching or going in azure seas, jet skiing, on a boat,…etc. When it’s 118 F in the Desert Southwest even the rattlesnakes bury their head in the sand (lol). Your example seems correct: Many tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world have much higher temps, dew points/RH as the southern USA...and places like Chennai, Djibouti or Wyndham are in a different league.

Some people just like sunny warm weather...others seem to get physically angry when the weather is warm and sunny. To them, a overcast 48 F raw day is "perfect weather". I remember reading that this might have to do with body type: Shorter, heavy-set, sedentary type people seem more heat sensetive...while taller, thinner, more active people seem to do better in the heat. Most folks who seem to do better in winter weather (think countires like Russia, Canada...etc) seem bulkier, compared to those in hot, lowland tropical climates. I know for me, I'm the most lean and active in the summer...and tend to gain a few pounds in the winter season becasue of less activity. Who knows how much science is behind this theroy however.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Sure, the region is not any worse than other subtropical or tropical locales, but the heat combined with the sun can still be uncomfortable for many. I remember reading a book from the 1800s where the South was considered perfect for slave labor because it was referred to as "nearly tropical" and too unbearable during the summer for white labor.
Agreed. Some people just don't tolerate heat and humidity very well.

I'm thin, but still have trouble dealing with it. Must be some biological reason.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Our country is not only the most politically divide nation on earth (lol)…but the most climatically dived one as well. People either love the warmth and sunshine….or love the cold/snow/stormy weather.

As someone who has lived in the “southernmost” place of all on the USA mainland (metro South Florida) summer weather is far nicer and enjoyable than in the hot Desert Southwest. When it’s 87 F in Miami you are outside in the pool, at the beach watching or going in azure seas, jet skiing, on a boat,…etc. When it’s 118 F in the Desert Southwest even the rattlesnakes bury their head in the sand (lol). Your example seems correct: Many tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world have much higher temps, dew points/RH as the southern USA...and places like Chennai, Djibouti or Wyndham are in a different league.

Some people just like sunny warm weather...others seem to get physically angry when the weather is warm and sunny. To them, a overcast 48 F raw day is "perfect weather". I remember reading that this might have to do with body type: Shorter, heavy-set, sedentary type people seem more heat sensetive...while taller, thinner, more active people seem to do better in the heat. Most folks who seem to do better in winter weather (think countires like Russia, Canada...etc) seem bulkier, compared to those in hot, lowland tropical climates. I know for me, I'm the most lean and active in the summer...and tend to gain a few pounds in the winter season becasue of less activity. Who knows how much science is behind this theroy however.
A friend told me air conditioning in the South is really cold, as cold as you'd find in your supermarket's freezer isle, is this the case in your experience?

I think you're right. Stockiness does seem to be an adaptation to cold climates. People in say Tanzania seem to be very thin and tall.

Personally I find myself rather average when it comes to temperature. I just like mild weather (13-30C, 57-86F type temps) with a bit of variety, nothing too out there.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,209,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A friend told me air conditioning in the South is really cold, as cold as you'd find in your supermarket's freezer isle, is this the case in your experience?

I think you're right. Stockiness does seem to be an adaptation to cold climates. People in say Tanzania seem to be very thin and tall.

Personally I find myself rather average when it comes to temperature. I just like mild weather (13-30C, 57-86F type temps) with a bit of variety, nothing too out there.
I was going to mention that the heat isn't as much of a problem these days because a/c is everywhere. Of course, if you have to be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time, you still have to deal with the heat.

In the end, I agree that there are hotter regions, but that doesn't mean the heat here is anything to take lightly.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
I have to say that it was shocking for me at first.

But you get used to it. I once went to Las Vegas in the middle of summer. And while it was hot there, it wasn't unbearable. Chiefly because the humidity was so low.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Oh, just come here in mid August and judge yourself. Is hotter than hell

Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 AM

749 posts, read 2,440,029 times
It's not overrated here in Central FL. I'm a good 30 miles away from the coast so there is no relief from the sea breeze. It'll hit 98 or 99 with a heat index over 106 and be absolutely miserable.

I made the mistake of reroofing half my house in late July one year and I would start at 7 AM. get off the roof at 11 AM and not get back up there till a couple hours before sunset because it was so hot.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I was going to mention that the heat isn't as much of a problem these days because a/c is everywhere. Of course, if you have to be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time, you still have to deal with the heat.

In the end, I agree that there are hotter regions, but that doesn't mean the heat here is anything to take lightly.
But you still gotta deal with the A/C.

Actually, I think A/C has made people think southern heat is worse. It takes a few weeks for your body to get used to humid heat. If one avoids going outside in the humid hot summer and stays in the A/C, the outdoor heat will feel like a shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather