Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Daylight doesn't change much in tropical climates either, so you never feel depressed when it gets dark in the afternoon.
instead one would feel so depressed in the tropics from locking himself in the house everyday waiting for the evening when it's cool enough to walk outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Singapore is the best in this regard. Perpetual daylight savings time... sun always sets around 7:00pm year round
It's boring though, the sun setting at the same time every day. Plus there's no twilight at that latitude. The best place IMO for sunset times is the area around Cape Finisterre on the westernmost point of Spain. It uses the same time zone as parts of Poland that are nearly 35 degrees further east, so 21st December = 09:06 to 18:04, while 21st June = 06:56 to 22:21 with twilight until 2300 or later. Daylight savings lasts from late-March to late-October, so even days in March have light until 9pm.

Actually that's not the place with the latest average sunsets; since China only has one time zone the China-Tajikistan border has a three-hour time change, and on the Chinese side December 21 = 10:23 to 19:43 (a bit too ridiculous in the morning IMO), and June 21 = 7:37 to 22:37 (no daylight savings there).

Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
instead one would feel so depressed in the tropics from locking himself in the house everyday waiting for the evening when it's cool enough to walk outside
Some tropical climates have the best weather in the world (IMHO), Hilo, Hawaii's warmest month is 83/69*F and the coldest month is 79/64*F. You probably think that's a heatwave though. Over 6.3 billion people (70%) live in the tropics. I wonder how that compares to sub-arctic and arctic climates .

Oh, and it must feel great to wait several months to be able to wear shorts and t-shirt outside for a few weeks .

Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
At least 75 daytime and 60 in the night.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
In the UK, max/min temps of 75/60 is considered a heatwave away from the South East. In Buxton especially (known for its altitude) people complain of heat at around 17-18°C (62-64°F) if the sun is shining. Once on a day when it was about 18°C / 64°F in August one person I overheard saying "it's got to be at least 26 degrees out here!!". That's just under 80°F. Not even close.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
To me, it starts to feel like summer when I can no longer be outdoors without being uncomfortable. With our fairly high humidity, that means maybe low to mid 70s, unless it's cloudy and windy.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Some tropical climates have the best weather in the world (IMHO), Hilo, Hawaii's warmest month is 83/69*F and the coldest month is 79/64*F. You probably think that's a heatwave though. Over 6.3 billion people (70%) live in the tropics. I wonder how that compares to sub-arctic and arctic climates .

Oh, and it must feel great to wait several months to be able to wear shorts and t-shirt outside for a few weeks .
I agree. Tropical climates are better than arctic and subarctic weather climates and many more people live in tropical climates than subarctic and arctic climates.

However, it is a different story for subtropical climates, subtropical 4 season climates, temperate climates, 4 seasons climates where winters are relatively short and not that cold, some(very few)continental climates etc. A lot of places with one of those weather climate classifications can be as great as tropical climates in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I agree. Tropical climates are better than arctic and subarctic weather climates and many more people live in tropical climates than subarctic and arctic climates.
Many people living in other countries in the world, including many in the tropics, don't have nearly as much mobility as in the US though.

They might not have experienced anything but tropical weather to compare to.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Once on a day when it was about 18°C / 64°F in August one person I overheard saying "it's got to be at least 26 degrees out here!!". That's just under 80°F. Not even close.
lol... That's a rather far-off perception.

I do find it humourous when people exaggerate the summer temperatures when they feel hot.

One thing I've noticed where I live is that people often claim the temperature outside is the humidex (our version of a "heat index") value -- don't know if they are genuinely mistaken or it's hyperbole (though to be fair, the media often seems to hype up the humidity index which quite often appears in the summer from June-August).

I hear people often claim that it's 40C, when it's really more like 30C, or in the 30s when it's more like 20-something, because that's often what the humidex "feels like" value reports, alongside the real temp.

Though to be fair, people here also hype up their estimate of cold temperatures and the same thing happens with wind-chill "feels like" values.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:53 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Over 6.3 billion people (70%) live in the tropics.
that's funny because an article I recently read stated that the majority of world's population lives in the temperate zone. The tropics is a small area geographically, I don't know how you can squeeze in 6.3 billion people like what you said. Historical higher birth rates in the tropics have been primarily the results of poverty. and what else, immigration from the tropics to the more temperate regions of the world is tenfold higher compared to vice versa. This proves that the tropics is great for vacation, but not for year-round living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather