Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

I think it has to do with the fact that Mar del Plata is on the cold South Atlantic whereas the Mediterranean is a much warmer body of water generally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I can't understand why the French Riviera, at a comparable latitude (43°) albeit in the northern hemisphere , has a much warmer climate than Mar Del Plata. Explanation anyone ?
But Mar del Plata is like in 36 latitude! Much less than 43.

I think it has to do with what daneb says. Atlantic ocean being so cold and all. Plus, Mar del Plata being located in an east point where all the cold ocean currents (that come from antartica) converge, definetely make it colder than French riviera.

Also, in Mar del Plata, spring doestn start until, lets say, early december. You have september, october and november (wich are spring months here in argentina, mostly hot in all the center/nortern part of the country) that feel like an autumm in Mar del Plata.

Im not very fond of Mar del Plata winters (too windy, cloudy, and overall very cold) but im VERY fond of Mar del Plata summers. 24 celsius maximum, 15 celsius minimum, sounds like heaven!!!!!!
(more so compared to sticky, humid, hot, BA)

Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM

I spent 19 years of my life all my summers in Mar del Plata (im from there). And in those golden times, summer was something i was looking forward to and enjoyed till the end. While now summer becames a nightmare and i get frustrated when we approach november.

Sometimes i wish i could spend half a year in Mdp

Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
I'd give it an A-. It'd be nice if the summers were a little warmer; a few months of hot weather would give it nice variety. The summers are only a 1°F than where I lived in upstate NY, and those summers were definitely warm enough. I'd imagine some summer beach days could get a bit chilly.

The rest of the year has very nice temperatures, and the lack of any cold or real winter means it gets an A-.

I don't see how'd you'd say spring begins in December. To me, July & August have temperatures that I'd consider Spring; and September definitely does.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd give it an A-. It'd be nice if the summers were a little warmer; a few months of hot weather would give it nice variety. The summers are only a 1°F than where I lived in upstate NY, and those summers were definitely warm enough. I'd imagine some summer beach days could get a bit chilly.

The rest of the year has very nice temperatures, and the lack of any cold or real winter means it gets an A-.

I don't see how'd you'd say spring begins in December. To me, July & August have temperatures that I'd consider Spring; and September definitely does.
July and August temperatures that you consider spring???? where do u live??? In the north pole????

Maybe it has to do with what one knows. I now live in Buenos Aires and spring temps are between 15 celsius and 30 celsius. I consider spring temps the weather between 15 celsius to 25/26 temps (of course, in BA it gets hotter). I lived in MDP almost 20 years and we had our chilly days even in november. The last couple of summers were warmer (maybe cause of global warming) but when i lived there, you had to wear a jacket every summer night.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Ocotber in Mar del Plata averages 7/18, wich is like the average of the coldest month of winter in Buenos Aires. 7 celsius in Mar del Plata (with that wind and humidty) feels CHILLY. And 18 celsius, with all the wind (Mar del Plata is very windy) do not get to feel warm at all. October is like a winter month.
Even november, with 10/20 is still cold. 10 celsius in mar del plata=freezing. 20 celsius in mdp: just in the border between "cool" and "warm".

I would say you dont get to feel the real hot weather in MDP until january.

(although, i wouldnt call MDP weather hot, ever)

Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 PM

You consider 3/13 an 4/14 SPRING WEATHER??????

What a sad spring you must have where you live!!!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
But after a winter like -10/0 in New England it must feel distinctly balmy. Even in Paris with our mild winters, the 5/15 mean of April feels like spring, even the 3/11 of March.

Btw I rate Mar del Plata D-, the winters are way too mild and the continuous wind may be annoying as well. Otherwise it would be very comfortable, but I don't crave comfortable climates.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
But after a winter like -10/0 in New England it must feel distinctly balmy. Even in Paris with our mild winters, the 5/15 mean of April feels like spring, even the 3/11 of March.
One thing is to have a VERY cold winter like that. And another is to consider 3/11 SPRING. Thats not spring.

Spring is around 13/15 average low and 22/29 average high, and im talking about what is the perception of spring, not the temp i have where i live (wich are very similar actually). Maybe you dont have spring and you go straight to summer. But spring means that you have warm days and you wear a light jacket at night.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Its like autumm in Buenos Aires. Averages for April (autumm here) are like 14/22. I DONT consider that autumm. I mean, it might be the weather we have in whats supposed to be autumm, but its not an autumm weather. I always say : "Here in Buenos Aires, we have no autumm". And its true. We go from summer, to spring (aka autumm) to winter, to spring and to summer again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather