Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times

Advertisements

NWS is calling for a chance of snow this weekend. Of course it's too early to be sure of it happening, but it would be awesome if it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's the great thing about living in a small country like the UK.. I live in a large city, the coast line is only 40 miles away, and I'm literally right next door to the mountains where snow is extreme - everything is here!
I agree. The combination of mountains and sea is a good one. At times I wouldn't mind a warmer climate, but the thought of not seeing snowcapped mountains during winter (and most of the year) will keep me here.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I have just checked their website - it was MetService. 21.1C maximum at Christchurch Airport. If you insist on quoting "up to the minute" data, you could try getting it right, instead of pushing your agenda.
Pfff, still three degrees below forecast. Not that I'm complaining, it was a very nice day... but my problem is that it was followed by a horribly cool and mostly overcast day (high was a wintry 12 C). And tomorrow is set to be even worse: high of 14 C with heavy rain and strong southerly winds all day long. I hope I die in my sleep so I don't have to experience the miserable weather tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You would perhaps envy Dunedin's weather during the Nino-dominated period 77-97? 1376 hours of sunshine in 1983 (the same year Ch'ch got 2145, and was the only area in the whole country that wasn't below average). Realistically Dunedin's sunshine mean is about 400-475 hours lower than Christchurch's, though in the last decade its figures have been much better than earlier - but then that's data from an EWS, and is almost certainly too optimistic.
My data gives 2100 hours for ChCh and 1600 for Dunedin, so it's certainly a very substantial difference. I was just wondering if the warming effect of the Nor'wester might be more pronounced in Dunedin than in ChCh due to the local topography. When the Nor'wester is in effect it always seems to be much warmer in Dunedin relative to averages than in ChCh.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Pfff, still three degrees below forecast. Not that I'm complaining, it was a very nice day... but my problem is that it was followed by a horribly cool and mostly overcast day (high was a wintry 12 C). And tomorrow is set to be even worse: high of 14 C with heavy rain and strong southerly winds all day long. I hope I die in my sleep so I don't have to experience the miserable weather tomorrow.

My data gives 2100 hours for ChCh and 1600 for Dunedin, so it's certainly a very substantial difference. I was just wondering if the warming effect of the Nor'wester might be more pronounced in Dunedin than in ChCh due to the local topography. When the Nor'wester is in effect it always seems to be much warmer in Dunedin relative to averages than in ChCh.
Both are as bit higher in latest terms - about 2145 and 1640, though Dunedin's status is a bit unclear because of equipment changes.

The Dunedin "delta" from a NW may be a bit bigger than a typical Christchurch one - a very long fetch.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Sounds like you guys are getting spoiled!
Regarding your previous posts about wanting to move here, if you want a lot of sunny and dry days then Perth naturally - in the summers that is - is the best bet but beware that the cooler (winter) season often sees long periods of wet and unsettled weather prevailing so if you want all year-round sunshine with little rain and stable temperatures then you're better off moving to America and settling in such arid (or semi in some cases) states like NV, AZ or UT. If I had to live in America it would be either the south or east - nowhere else

Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
One inch of snow predicted tonight...

from the NWS

...1 TO 3 INCHES OF WET SNOW ARE POSSIBLE THIS EVENING MAINLY
ACROSS THE INTERIOR HIGH TERRAIN...

PERIODS OF RAIN WILL CONTINUE INTO THE AFTERNOON ACROSS THE
REGION. AT THE SAME TIME...COLDER AIR WORKING IN FROM THE NORTH IS
EXPECTED TO CHANGE THE RAIN TO WET SNOW LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND
EVENING...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

SOME UNCERTAINTY CONTINUES AS TO WHEN EXACTLY THE RAIN WILL CHANGE
TO WET SNOW. OUR BEST ESTIMATE IS THAT IT WILL OCCUR BETWEEN 4 PM
AND 8 PM THIS EVENING...BEGINNING FIRST IN THE HIGHEST TERRAIN.
THE WET SNOW MAY FALL MODERATE TO EVEN HEAVY FOR A SHORT TIME THIS
EVENING. THIS MAY RESULT IN ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

from the NWS

PERIODS OF RAIN WILL CONTINUE INTO THE AFTERNOON ACROSS THE
REGION. AT THE SAME TIME...COLDER AIR WORKING IN FROM THE NORTH IS
EXPECTED TO CHANGE THE RAIN TO WET SNOW LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND
EVENING...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

SOME UNCERTAINTY CONTINUES AS TO WHEN EXACTLY THE RAIN WILL CHANGE
TO WET SNOW. OUR BEST ESTIMATE IS THAT IT WILL OCCUR BETWEEN 4 PM
AND 8 PM THIS EVENING...BEGINNING FIRST IN THE HIGHEST TERRAIN.
THE WET SNOW MAY FALL MODERATE TO EVEN HEAVY FOR A SHORT TIME THIS
EVENING. THIS MAY RESULT IN ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.
Very interesting weather here in the northeast the next few days. No snow is forecasted here for tonight, but if temperatures drop enough, we may get some wet flakes before the precipitation moves out. The first freeze is expected with a low in the upper 20s. The first sub-50 highs are forecasted. Saturday might not even get out of the 30s. Hopefully the NWS will post an explanation soon.

Tonight: Rain, mainly before 11pm. Low around 28. North wind between 3 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 49. Calm wind becoming north between 4 and 7 mph.

Friday Night: A chance of snow after 5am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 32. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: Snow, mainly after 11am. High near 39. North wind between 6 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday Night: Snow, mainly before 11pm. Low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 45.

Edit: I can't believe this. A Winter Storm Watch has been issued.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 10-27-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

from the NWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Saturday: Snow, mainly after 11am. High near 39. North wind between 6 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday Night: Snow, mainly before 11pm. Low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
How often do you see October snow in your locations? We had lying snow in London in late-October 2008, but that was the first time since 1934. I saw a couple of inches of lying snow back in Yorkshire in October 2000, but it's still very rare. No chance of that here: October's likely to come in within about half a degree of the warmest ever (again!), with 18C expected over the weekend.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
How often do you see October snow in your locations? We had lying snow in London in late-October 2008, but that was the first time since 1934. I saw a couple of inches of lying snow back in Yorkshire in October 2000, but it's still very rare. No chance of that here: October's likely to come in within about half a degree of the warmest ever (again!), with 18C expected over the weekend.
Maybe once every few years, maybe a little less. Well, falling snow. Lying snow is extremely rare. The ground is usually too warm for it stick.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Not very often. The earliest snow on record fell October 15, 2009. At least a couple inches fell in the higher elevations, but the local weather station didn't record it since they're at a lower elevation. I remember driving up the mountain and it looked like a winter wonderland. Very odd for that time of the year. There was also snow in late October 2008. Those are the most recent ones I remember, but I'm sure there's been a few other minor events. According to the NWS, the record is 3.8 inches on October 30th. I'll have to get back to you on the year.

I don't remember a Winter Storm Watch ever being issued in October. If the storm verifies, we may record a new all-time record snowfall for the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather