Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

I'm west of NYC and the average January temperature here is 24 F. Almost every winter, the suburbs of NYC fall at or below zero. Last winter dropped down to -11 F here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
It's all AlGore's fault.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I'm saying. I don't think deneb or the other foreigners realize just how cold it gets here. The ONLY places you want to go for guaranteed warmth in winter are Arizona (Phoenix to Tucson to the CA border), and southern coastal California in the continental U.S. Everywhere else is either frozen over (figuratively and literally), or too cold to warrant a vacation or in Florida's case, pretty variable though much of the time it is quite warm, just not as consistent as Phoenix/Tucson or L.A./San Diego. A British family I met a while back went on vacation to Orlando last November and they were unsatisfied because it was in the 50s and low 60s when they went when it was up to the 80s before then. Unlucky for them they happen to arrive just as a beefed up cold front passed through
I know the Northern US can get very cold but so can much of Scandinavia away from the immediate coastline

Some record lows:

Copenhagen: -13°F (-25°C)
Oslo: -14.8°F (-26°C)
Stockholm: -25.6°F (-32°C)
Helsinki: -32.8°F (-36°C)
Uppsala: -39.1°F (-39.5°C)
Rovianemi: -53.5°F (-47.5°C)

I am certain that most major cities in the US aside from the upper midwest and parts of New England have higher record lows than that.

Also as was previously mentioned, the length of the winter in Scandinavia is far longer with virtually no mild warmups that most US locations get in winter....

Sorry for going off topic... Just for the record, I think the Texas summer was terrible for the wildfires and I hope that no more houses are distroyed

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I know the Northern US can get very cold but so can much of Scandinavia away from the immediate coastline

Some record lows:

I am certain that most major cities in the US aside from the upper midwest and parts of New England have higher record lows than that.

Also as was previously mentioned, the length of the winter in Scandinavia is far longer with virtually no mild warmups that most US locations get in winter....

Sorry for going off topic... Just for the record, I think the Texas summer was terrible for the wildfires and I hope that no more houses are distroyed
Coldest day in beautiful downtown Winnipeg, -54F.

I could still stand it more than I could tolerate 110F in Laredo.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying. I don't think deneb or the other foreigners realize just how cold it gets here. The ONLY places you want to go for guaranteed warmth in winter are Arizona (Phoenix to Tucson to the CA border), and southern coastal California in the continental U.S. Everywhere else is either frozen over (figuratively and literally), or too cold to warrant a vacation or in Florida's case, pretty variable though much of the time it is quite warm, just not as consistent as Phoenix/Tucson or L.A./San Diego. A British family I met a while back went on vacation to Orlando last November and they were unsatisfied because it was in the 50s and low 60s when they went when it was up to the 80s before then. Unlucky for them they happen to arrive just as a beefed up cold front passed through
Not too sure weather data really back you up on what you say?

1) First, a correction - the warmest area in on the USA mainland in winter (Dec/Jan/Feb) is the southern half of Florida (not AZ or coastal CA). In fact, cities like Miami, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale…ect have mean temps in the winter months that are 10 F (or more ) WARMER than ANYWHERE in Arizona or California. In terms of average highs/stable weather, southern Florida is far more stable than California (winter in rainy season) and Phoenix or Tucson. A huge high pressure ridge in the winter months spans from Africa through the islands to southern Florida. This is why Florida is sunny, warm, and mostly dry in winter.

2) It would seem odd (after checking the official NWS data for Orlando for last November) that a BRITISH family would find Orlando uncomfortable in November. One check of Orlando daily temps for November 2010 – shows that out of 30 days…25 days were 75 F (24 C) or higher ….and only 5 days were below 75 F. Roughly half the month of this past November (2010) the daily high hit 80 F or higher in Orlando. Your unlucky British friends must have only stayed on the 4 coldest days of November in Orlando - ol:

Orlando November 2010 - National Weather Service Climate

3) Finally, as far as what is warm/hot/cold…etc that can be subjective. However, when compared to many other countries (outside the tropics of course)…the southern USA from California eastward to South Carolina, and southward through Florida… is far warmer and sunnier than most any areas in Europe/Canada in winter. Below is a list of monthly mean temps…one quick glance shows that cities like (Miami, Orlando, St. Augustine, New Orleans, Savannah, Houston, Corpus Christi, Palm Springs, CA, Tucson, AZ, Phoenix, AZ, San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, CA, Las Vegas, …etc are 7 to 28 F WARMER than London in winter. In fact, most (75%) winter days in Florida or southern California are WARMER than most summer days in many northern European cities like London, Paris, Berlin...etc (lol):

I think your British friends would gladly rather spend a winter in the USA sunbelt with much warmer temps, much more sunshine, and dry weather…than the dismal winters of Europe

Last edited by wavehunter007; 09-08-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Thaank you for the answers. So we'll probably sharing the same weather right now. São Paulo had today humidity level of 19% at 15pm combined with a high of 89ºF...

Anyway, I also would like to know...Which meteorological system brings more rain to Texas? Hurricanes, cold fronts, convective precipitation, intertropical converging zone???

Here in São paulo, the last one(called here as South Atlantic converging zone) answers for more than 80% of total amount of rainfall, and usually happens in summer.
I think the answer is cold fronts/hurricanes. I know in the RGV the highest precip month is September and that's when the first cold fronts come through. Though a hurricane, if it hits, will most likely be the thing that brings most rain to that part of Texas.

It's interesting that while MOST of Texas was the hottest summer, in the Rio Grande Valley the summer of 2009 was still hotter.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
The further west in Texas you go, the lower the humidity. Eastern Texas has 60% humidity or greater. Actually, about the whole eastern half of the U.S. has humidity levels around 60% or more. I live in the northeast and my humidity is usually around 60%-65% during the day.

U.S. weather can be summed up as tropical summers, Scandinavian winters
The best way to compare humidity levels between cities is to use the dew points. All along the Gulf Coast will have extremely high dew points during the summer compared to places like the Midwest and Northeast (except for this summer when they got a burst of humid air). Dew points in Houston during the summer usually run between 67-78 (with a lot more days in the 70's) but here lately have been around 40 because of the Arizona type dry air T.S. Lee brought us.

Dew points:
>80F-----Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses
75-80F---Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive
70-74F---Very humid, quite uncomfortable
65-69F---Somewhat uncomfortable for most people at upper edge
60-64F---OK for most, but all perceive humidity at upper edge
55-59F---Comfortable
50-54F---Very comfortable
<49F-----A bit dry for some

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
In the Dallas area the humidity during the daytime is much lower than 60%. In fact, right now it is 86 degrees and the humidity is only 17%. Anywhere along the Mississippi River or east toward the coast, the humidity is much higher.

Temperature: 85.9°F Pressure: 30" Average Wind: 2mph N Sunrise: 7:06 AM Humidity: 17% Sunset: 7:43 PM Dew Point: 38�°F Moonphase: -82 Heat Index: 82�°F Monthly Rain: 0.00"

Comparing the past weeks temps and humidity is a bad depiction of humidity levels in Dallas. T.S. Lee brought Texas some of the driest air it has ever seen and some cities have set record lows because of it. Dallas dew points in the summer usually range from 54-68. It can get humid in Dallas just not as humid as it gets in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
I heard (from a Jeopardy question actually) that Houston, TX has an average summer morning humidity level of 90%. This summer hasn't been humid but normally they get quite a bit of humidity.
This summer has actually been quite humid except for recent events. I can remember all summer how our heat indexes were 5-12 F above our temps giving us heat advisories when our temps didn't even reach 100 F.

Last edited by MobileDave; 09-08-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
I don't consider Scandinavia to be cold for its latitude. Furthermore, Scandinavia is geographically smaller than all the Upper-midwestern states combined, and it is also much warmer than anywhere in those states. Some people were making absurd comparisons between the winter temperatures in Arizona/ the Southern USA tropics and Scandinavia (at 60 latitude) to draw the conclusion that most of the USA is warmer than Scandinavia. Seriously, what mode of reasoning is this?

Last edited by Kaul; 09-10-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

Some record lows:

That's a no-brainer answer. Do you expect Hawaii or the Amazon to have lower winter record lows than Scandinavia??? Scandanavia, despite being so far north at 60+ in latitude, is only colder than the Southern USA below 40 degrees latitude. Once you go past the 40 degrees line, the USA is colder in the interior than anywhere in coastal Scandinavia. Northern Scandianan towns like Rovianemi is nowhere as cold as northern Minnesota in the winter.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Kiruna has the same January temps as International Falls, USA's "icebox" and its winters are longer. And it's three times more populated.

Kiruna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather