Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Brisbane 37 57.81%
Perth 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 05:58 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Europe is moving away from the idea of daylight saving as the evidence is that the harm it causes eg increased incidence of strokes, car accidents etc outweigh any benefits. It seems odd for a country that doesn't extend into higher latitudes at all to consider daylight saving.

I did notice everything was early in far north Queensland, especially in smaller towns.
Do you think Europe will scrap daylight savings even with the higher latitudes? It's definitely nice not having it as at least your body doesn't have to adjust. Why Australia has daylight savings at all in some parts I'll never know. Maybe for Tasmania and Victoria at a push but certainly not NSW and South Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
The 'build up' is quite simply awful....but then again it is what it is is and locals just shrug the shoulders and get on with it...either business or pleasure.... I have no desire whatsover to live in a place with sub 20c max temps or sub 10c min temps.
I like wandering around in singlets, shorts and bare feet 365 days a year.
I've worked ( heavy construction ) in every state in AU and at all times of the year.... but a Top End winter ( our dry season May- Sept ) is hard to beat. I wear the same clothes on the 15th July as I would on the 15th February....difference is it does'nt rain in July and in February it rains near every day !
So yeah, one can acclimatise to a northern wet season, but often those not used to it find it extremely debilitating, indeed, the heat index can be dangerous.
I remember working with a local company at the Macarthur River lead/silver/zinc mine back in the 1990's, and of all the companies with a contract there during the construction. we were the only ones without a single case of heat stroke/heat exhaustion that required medical intervention. Reason being quite simply we were locals used to the debilitating working conditions/heat/humidity/DP's. Transfield Australia transferred crews up from a Canberra winter to a Top End pre 'build up', well they had blokes dropping like flies.....
That's it. I don't think there is any climate that has absolutely everything. There will always be aspects that people may not like with certain parts of the year whether it's too much or little sun, too much or little humidity or too warm or too cold etc.

You definitely have an advantage of being used to the warmest temps and humidity Australia has to offer. I've heard of guys going from a Perth winter to up North where temperatures were in the 30's and one guy in particular ended up being in hospital for a few days as it was such a shock to his body going straight to work hours after he flew out with such a difference. Imagine a Perth morning of 8 or 9°C going straight into Broome at 31°C within a few hours. I love how diverse the climate is here and how alot of what I used to think back home about Australia's climate turned out to be very wrong lol

Old 10-15-2022, 07:03 PM

1,223 posts, read 720,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
That's it. I don't think there is any climate that has absolutely everything. There will always be aspects that people may not like with certain parts of the year whether it's too much or little sun, too much or little humidity or too warm or too cold etc.

You definitely have an advantage of being used to the warmest temps and humidity Australia has to offer. I've heard of guys going from a Perth winter to up North where temperatures were in the 30's and one guy in particular ended up being in hospital for a few days as it was such a shock to his body going straight to work hours after he flew out with such a difference. Imagine a Perth morning of 8 or 9°C going straight into Broome at 31°C within a few hours. I love how diverse the climate is here and how alot of what I used to think back home about Australia's climate turned out to be very wrong lol
I used to get the reverse 'climate shock'....for quite a few years i was flying all over the Continent putting up satellite antennas....So I would be working at home in the middle of a Darwin wet season; hot, humid, wet ect and I get a phone call and two days later I'm in Bendigo Vic, during the Millenium drought, not a blade of green grass all the way from Melbourne Airport to Bendigo, dp's in the negatives, air temp in the 30c's.....
within a few hours my skin was dry and flaking, burnt chapped lips. Then the nights, after a 35c dry as a chip day, would drop down to 10 and 12c !
That took some getting used to....
Another time I was in Perth out at the Optus Facility in Jan-Feb; dry, not a drop of rain and the company transferred me over to Norfolk Island, mild/warm and humidity worse than Darwin, with moisture running down the walls of the motel room and dampish bedclothes ( no AC over there ). That ( and the 5 hour timezone difference ) took a few days getting used to...lol.
Another job comes to mind was in Onslow, WA; a crew of us drove down from Darwin for the job in April, we all thought it was on the cool side....all the Perth blokes were whinging how hot it was....

Old 10-16-2022, 10:11 PM

I've had a bit of a look at the last 5 years winters of Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. We have been having discussions on this thread and others re the 'súbtropicallity' or otherwise the above cities....perhaps a small data sample as below can shed some light on the subject matter ( and help to compare Brisbane and Perth as is the subject of this thread )

Number of winter days with max temps greater than 20c in the last 5 years
Brisbane - 411 days ( 89.3% recorded a +20c max temp
Sydney - 157 days ( 34.1% )
Melbourne - 7 days ( 1.5% )
Adelaide - 31 days ( 6.7% )
Perth - 155 days ( 33.7% )

Number of winter days with min temps of 10c or less in the last 5 years
Brisbane - 146 days ( 31.7% recorded sub 10c minimums )
Melbourne - 387 days ( 84% )
Adelaide - 328 days ( 71.3% )
Perth - 275 days ( 59.8% )

Long term winter months means
Brisbane - 11.0c/22.4c
Sydney - 8.8c/17.1c
Melbourne - 7.7c/14.2c
Adelaide - 8.1c/15.6c
Perth - 8.3c/19.0c

Old 10-17-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I've had a bit of a look at the last 5 years winters of Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. We have been having discussions on this thread and others re the 'súbtropicallity' or otherwise the above cities....perhaps a small data sample as below can shed some light on the subject matter ( and help to compare Brisbane and Perth as is the subject of this thread )

Number of winter days with max temps greater than 20c in the last 5 years
Brisbane - 411 days ( 89.3% recorded a +20c max temp
Melbourne - 7 days ( 1.5% )
Adelaide - 31 days ( 6.7% )
Perth - 155 days ( 33.7% )

Number of winter days with min temps of 10c or less in the last 5 years
Brisbane - 146 days ( 31.7% recorded sub 10c minimums )
Melbourne - 387 days ( 84% )
Adelaide - 328 days ( 71.3% )
Perth - 275 days ( 59.8% )

Long term winter months means
Brisbane - 11.0c/22.4c
Sydney - 8.8c/17.1c
Melbourne - 7.7c/14.2c
Adelaide - 8.1c/15.6c
Perth - 8.3c/19.0c
Great work mate, cheers for these numbers. Would have taken a bit of time.

I now realize why people say Adelaide is a bit colder than Perth. Very few 20°C days in winter compared to Sydney and Perth and as for Brisbane. Well that's to be expected for a climate that is only 600km from the start of the tropical zone. To be honest mate I reckon if you were say to most people that about 1/3 of the days in winter get 20°C and over they would easily say you live in a warm and subtropical climate. This is VERY rare in temperate oceanic climates which is why one of the warmest temperate oceanic climates in the world (Melbourne) has only 7 days in winter above 20°C. Melbourne is easily a warm temperate oceanic climate aswell.

Sydney and Brisbane have a similar number of days below 10°C which is interesting. Adelaide I'm not surprised and to be honest Perth has less days than I expected. These are both mediterranean climates therefore the lows can be cooler than humid subtropical. Melbourne while it gets alot of cold winter days is still VERY mild for a temperate oceanic climate.

I'd be keen to see the summer differences. I'd argue Perth and Adelaide would be hotter in terms of highs while Brisbane would be warmer in terms of lows.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Great work mate, cheers for these numbers. Would have taken a bit of time.

I now realize why people say Adelaide is a bit colder than Perth. Very few 20°C days in winter compared to Sydney and Perth and as for Brisbane. Well that's to be expected for a climate that is only 600km from the start of the tropical zone. To be honest mate I reckon if you were say to most people that about 1/3 of the days in winter get 20°C and over they would easily say you live in a warm and subtropical climate. This is VERY rare in temperate oceanic climates which is why one of the warmest temperate oceanic climates in the world (Melbourne) has only 7 days in winter above 20°C. Melbourne is easily a warm temperate oceanic climate aswell.

Sydney and Brisbane have a similar number of days below 10°C which is interesting. Adelaide I'm not surprised and to be honest Perth has less days than I expected. These are both mediterranean climates therefore the lows can be cooler than humid subtropical. Melbourne while it gets alot of cold winter days is still VERY mild for a temperate oceanic climate.

I'd be keen to see the summer differences. I'd argue Perth and Adelaide would be hotter in terms of highs while Brisbane would be warmer in terms of lows.
I'll do the summer ones as well...but as always, take with a grain of salt.... those winter numbers are for only the last 5 years so a small sample of the winter climates.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I'll do the summer ones as well...but as always, take with a grain of salt.... those winter numbers are for only the last 5 years so a small sample of the winter climates.
Yea that's true, though to be honest these numbers are pretty consistent to what the average high and low temperatures are of these cities over the last 30 years. Seeing how many days are over 20°C and under 10°C in winter just really puts the differences into perspective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather