Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Brisbane 37 57.81%
Perth 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Brisbane - love those summer thunderstorms/torrential rain. Perth is BORING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I'm not an expert on SEQ weather, but when I was there last summer the clear days were clear with no clouds. The UV on the Gold Coast was around 14, so I assume it was the same in Brisbane. When I was in Brisbane, there was little cloud, if any (I don't remember it being cloudy, I remember the morning being very clear and hot), and despite being humid, shade did help a little bit.

The Gold Coast was very clear. There were some clear days that were followed by thunder, lighting and rain at night, but it was all clear by the morning. Only the wet days were cloudy. Brisbane had the same weather.

It's possible my experience was an anomaly though.
My memories of Brisbane in summer were of it being mostly totally overcast and it raining pretty much day and night (summer days with no sun at all not uncommon). The expected thunder and lightning too. I recall some periods of sunshine, but of course cloud is more predominant in coastal QLD in summer. The UV is still always high, even on cloudy days.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Brisbane has far more interesting weather, but Perth is far more comfortable overall, and at least has very wet winters.. both cities have received severe floods in the past 5 years.. good grief, not very safe place Australia, eh?!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Time to stop ""sitting on the fence"" and vote now CC.
Brisbane is ample hot enough in summer, I have relatives that live just west of Brizzy in the Lockyer Valley and rarely go there in summer due to the heat.
There may be the odd rain spells in summer, but the sunny days easily offset this.
You have just experienced a Bunbury winter and found it too cool, Perth is not much warmer.
I have also spent two summers just south of Perth), and although it was hot, the sun strength does not compare to SEQ.
Brisbane is plenty hot for most in summer...I would consider it very warm to hot. Obviously cooler than most of the tropics and sub-tropics in the warmer months, but there definitely are a lot of sultry days.

The difference between the comfort factor between a Perth and Brisbane winter is probably the difference between Perth and Adelaide in winter - i.e. definitely noticeable. Perth feels mild a lot of the time, cool a fair amount of the time, cold on maybe a few days, and warm to hot on a few days. Brisbane would probably have a lot of warmish sunny days in the 20s, with the possibility of high 20s and 30s (the latter in August), while Southwest WA get's that winter lag which the East coast does not experience. Reflected in the fact Sydney's August record high is higher than Perth. Hard to believe when I went to Brisbane in late August they were having a winter heatwave, with temps around 20-35C - hotter than what I experienced there in summer.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
I could stand a lot of Perth's "boring" weather.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
I'm not an expert on SEQ weather, but when I was there last summer the clear days were clear with no clouds. The UV on the Gold Coast was around 14, so I assume it was the same in Brisbane. When I was in Brisbane, there was little cloud, if any (I don't remember it being cloudy, I remember the morning being very clear and hot), and despite being humid, shade did help a little bit.

The Gold Coast was very clear. There were some clear days that were followed by thunder, lighting and rain at night, but it was all clear by the morning. Only the wet days were cloudy. Brisbane had the same weather.

It's possible my experience was an anomaly though.
Sounds a little better than I thought. thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Time to stop ""sitting on the fence"" and vote now CC.
Brisbane is ample hot enough in summer, I have relatives that live just west of Brizzy in the Lockyer Valley and rarely go there in summer due to the heat.

I suppose your rellies would find it hilarious a Canadian considering Brisbane's summers looking "a bit cool."

But I am used to being in the central and coastal Carolinas in August,
and for me that time of year is perfection,
yet it's hotter than the summer averages for anywhere in SE QLD.

Quote:
There may be the odd rain spells in summer, but the sunny days easily offset this.
You have just experienced a Bunbury winter and found it too cool, Perth is not much warmer.
I have also spent two summers just south of Perth), and although it was hot, the sun strength does not compare to SEQ.
As long as bright sun midday isn't scarce due to convective activity then I'm happy.
I just wouldn't like their average hours of sun skewed to strongly-favour dawn & dusk.

Temperature-wise, Brisbane wins easily.

I do appreciate Perth's sun patterns and lower chance of extreme rain events though.

I think I'll need to see Brisbane's summer for myself to make a proper comparison.
I prefer Myrtle Beach's summer to Perth's, (minus hurricanes ) though Perth's is still very good.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 AM

497 posts, read 983,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My memories of Brisbane in summer were of it being mostly totally overcast and it raining pretty much day and night (summer days with no sun at all not uncommon). The expected thunder and lightning too. I recall some periods of sunshine, but of course cloud is more predominant in coastal QLD in summer. The UV is still always high, even on cloudy days.
It was like that for a few days, overcast, rain, warm and very humid.

I just checked BOM and it doesn't seem like Brisbane gets many clear summer days. I wonder if the days that are clear, with rain at night are counted as rainy days, or how cloudy the average cloudy days are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Sounds a little better than I thought. thanks
I hope that I haven't deceived you. I might have been lucky with the weather I got.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
It was like that for a few days, overcast, rain, warm and very humid.

I just checked BOM and it doesn't seem like Brisbane gets many clear summer days. I wonder if the days that are clear, with rain at night are counted as rainy days, or how cloudy the average cloudy days are.

I hope that I haven't deceived you. I might have been lucky with the weather I got.
Cloudiest month over a couple of decades or so of record is February with about 58% of the possible. Not that bad, and variability year to year would be quite considerable. Some of those months would be quite sunny.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
cc both these cities are better than anywhere in can lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather