Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

I only see one noticeably above average day in the forecast (58 F Sunday). The rest are either around average or below.

Lowest temperature so far this month is 21 F, which is about as cold as it typically gets here in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For where I live Nov 1-15 this year has been identical in average (45°) to Nov 1-15 in 2009, which was an unusually warm November. The remainder of November in 2009 stayed just as warm (44°F), which what really made that November warm. I think it will be a hard act to beat November 2009
Yea, November 2009 was really warm in the northern tier. It would be hard for this November to beat Nov 2009.

One other thing that is interesting up in your area (and I had to check this, as I was sure it was not right when I first read it)....NWS Boston has not had an offical frost as of yesterday! According to NWS Boston - the last time there was a frost in Boston was on March 29th, 2011. Boston has now had 200 + frost=free days this year. I'm sure that the reporting station in Boston is right near the Atlantic or maybe downtown, but I guess one can make the case that continental climates near 40 latitude are really modified continental climates to some degree, but still that was a bit of a shocker.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyarcticbitch View Post
... Record cold temperatures in interior Alaska...

The first cold weather outbreak of the season has settled in over
interior Alaska. Unusually frigid temperatures for mid-November have
been observed across much of the region. Temperatures colder than
40 below zero are being reported in valleys in the central and
northeastern interior. Infrared satellite images also indicate
temperatures under 50 below zero in some of the coldest valley
locations.

Several record low temperatures were broken overnight in the
Fairbanks area
. This includes Eielson Air Force Base which
bottomed out at 42 below this morning... shattering the previous
record of 37 below set back in 1956. Record or near record low
temperatures are possible again Thursday morning. The record low for
November 17th at the Fairbanks Airport is 39 below... and 40 below
at Eielson Air Force Base.

Temperatures from 15 to 35 degrees below normal will persist over
much of the interior the next several days. A slight moderation is
expected on the weekend... but temperatures climbing above zero
across interior Alaska are not expected any time soon. Long range
models indicate another shot of reinforcing cold air arriving
early next week
... and possibly hanging around into the
Thanksgiving weekend.

The average temperature in Fairbanks this week is around 9 above
with an average low of 7 below zero.

Below is a summary of official low temperatures as of noon
Wednesday unless otherwise noted.

Fairbanks area:
uaf Smith Lake... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 49 below (unofficial)
North Pole kjnp... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..46 below (new record)
North Pole Woodsmoke subdivision... ... 46 below
Eielson AFB... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 42 below (new record)
Fairbanks Airport... ... ... ... ... ... ... 39 below
uaf West Ridge... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 37 below (new record)

Outside of fairbanks:
Chalkyitsik RAWS... ... ... ... ... ... ... .47 below (unofficial)
Beaver RAWS... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 46 below (unofficial)
Telida RAWS... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 45 below (unofficial)
Arctic Village... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 44 below
Fort Yukon... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .44 below
Manley Hot Springs... ... ... ... ... ... ..44 below
Nikolai... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .44 below
Coldfoot... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 42 below (unofficial)
Livengood RAWS... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 42 below (unofficial)
Tanana... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..39 below
Nenana... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..38 below
Healy... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 36 below
Bettles... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .34 below
Whitestone farms nr Delta Junction... .34 below

meanwhile, the coldest place in the lower 48, Elly, Minnesota is sitting at 18F. not bad for this time of the year I say
Great research.

35 - 50 F below zero will get your attention that’s for sure (lol). What is the deepest cold in January you see in that region? I know parts of the Northwest Territory fall to -70 below in the coldest months.

One of the things I've notice over the years in the cold season (Nov – March) …is when the upper Midwest (ND, MN, WI) has mean monthly temps above normal – many areas in the rest of the USA will too. It’s not so surprising I guess, since all the very cold air masses that descend on USA enter the country from west of the Great Lakes and east of the Rockies. So when the pattern is more zonal (like it has been and looks to be for awhile) most of the really cold air passes to the north of the border and stays in Canada. It will be interesting to see what shapes up as we get ready to start meteorological winter in less than 2 weeks.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yea, November 2009 was really warm in the northern tier. It would be hard for this November to beat Nov 2009.

One other thing that is interesting up in your area (and I had to check this, as I was sure it was not right when I first read it)....NWS Boston has not had an offical frost as of yesterday! According to NWS Boston - the last time there was a frost in Boston was on March 29th, 2011. Boston has now had 200 + frost=free days this year. I'm sure that the reporting station in Boston is right near the Atlantic or maybe downtown, but I guess one can make the case that continental climates near 40 latitude are really modified continental climates to some degree, but still that was a bit of a shocker.
I've known that for a while. I grew up in Long Island and then moved away and noticed a big difference in colder night temperatures. Until I left Long Island, I had never experienced a below zero temperature. It made me pay a bit more attention to weather and climate.

Yep. There's a huge difference between Boston and coastal Mass and the interior Massachusetts. The growing season is longer, and I had friends in Boston who'd complain about cold nights that we would get regularly. Going 5, maybe 10 miles and the ocean influence dies off. The ocean influence has a downside, too. In the spring time the ocean stays very cold, and there some days Boston is windy and in the 50s while it is warm and sunny (around 70) inland.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
According to NWS Boston - the last time there was a frost in Boston was on March 29th, 2011. Boston has now had 200 + frost=free days this year. I'm sure that the reporting station in Boston is right near the Atlantic or maybe downtown, but I guess one can make the case that continental climates near 40 latitude are really modified continental climates to some degree, but still that was a bit of a shocker.
That does sound like a rather long frost free period (to me).

That date does surprise me too.

I definitely don't think of April as a frost free month where I live and the beginning of May is when I imagine one can "forget about" lows being at or below freezing.

I knew the Great Lakes area cities (Detroit, Chicago) were different from the east coast, but I didn't realize there was that great of a difference in mildness with Boston and it's latitude.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
That does sound like a rather long frost free period (to me).

That date does surprise me too.

I definitely don't think of April as a frost free month where I live and the beginning of May is when I imagine one can "forget about" lows being at or below freezing.

I knew the Great Lakes area cities (Detroit, Chicago) were different from the east coast, but I didn't realize there was that great of a difference in mildness with Boston and it's latitude.
Here's we get mild frosts in May about half the time, and I'm at the same latitude as Boston in New England. It's really just the immediate coast. The airport's on a peninsula jutting out into the ocean.

Toronto has a longer frost free period than where I am cause you're next to Lake Ontario.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Our last air frost was in May. Our last ground frost was.. well, earlier this month.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
^^

I'm not usually familiar with reporting ground frost separately because I really haven't really seen it done here.

I've noticed though it's usually the British folks here talking about air frost and ground frosts.

I wonder is there a reason why attention is paid to measuring/reporting it there but not so this side of the pond (at least from my impression)?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
^^

I'm not usually familiar with reporting ground frost separately because I really haven't really seen it done here.

I've noticed though it's usually the British folks here talking about air frost and ground frosts.

I wonder is there a reason why attention is paid to measuring/reporting it there but not so this side of the pond (at least from my impression)?
because air frost is when the temperature is below freezing, but a ground frost can occur at temperatures as high as 5c so there's quite a difference

Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
An air frost is when the air temperature at 1.5m goes below 0°C / 32°F, a ground frost happens when the ground surface goes below 0°C / 32°F, and when water vapour condenses and freezes onto the surface, given the right atmospheric conditions. The actual air temperature may be a few degrees higher, than freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather