Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM

99 posts, read 254,379 times

Advertisements

When the average person talks about good weather, they seem to usually mean hot weather. Something I never understood.

"Wow, it's so beautiful outside!" - someone
"It's 95 degrees! I'm dying! Where's the nearest water fountain?" - me

I find a climate that's always warm/hot really boring too, especially if it's dry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,982 times
18 and foggy in the morning, heating up to 31C and sunny, cooling off with an afternoon storm down to 25C, and a cool evening breeze taking it down to 22 again is eventful summer weather for me.

Now I'll give you that an afternoon blizzard at -10 might be as or more interesting, but I hate cold.

Beauty is the is in the eyes, skin, sweat glands, and respitory tract of the beholder.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
im the same, hot weather is usuallly crappy weather for me!

but i think when people say "its lovely outside" they dont mean a 95-100f day, but more like a 70-80f day.

At least here in BA people have been complaining like crazy since sunday (we are under a brutal heatwave with temps reaching 40c and 30c nights) and all i hear is complaints about the heat, so i dont think most people "love" 95f.

they love 80f maybe.

Me? i love the 60s :P

Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
When it's above 80F here people say 'wow, it's pretty warm today' not 'wow, sure is nice out'.

In April we got 73F and sunny skies, pretty much all the time, and people were always saying how lovely it is.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
Good weather to me is weather that is simply comfortable (to me) to be out in just as I am dressed indoors, so 70-80°F types of temperatures.

However, good weather to me also includes interesting or severe events such as thunderstorms, windstorms, rainstorms.

Warm weather and storms (of any type) are very rare where I live so I get bored with the weather a lot here. Winter weather doesn't interest me at all, for some reason.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Beauty is the is in the eyes, skin, sweat glands, and respitory tract of the beholder.
That is one of the truest statements about weather preferences that I have ever read, and one that everybody should practice.

My definition of good weather is simple -- in winter: cold, snow, and wind; in summer: pleasantly cool and dry, and a decent mix of clouds and sun. This applies as long as it is not monotonous any time, as long winter averages simply cold, not above freezing or brutally cold, the snow is not deep enough to bury my house by dozens of feet, and as long as the wind is not fierce enough to flatten my house, and as long as summer is not too warm all the time, and it clouds up and rains (or snows) now and then during the summer months.

Hot, sunny weather going on for a stretch is very boring to me, and the monotonous sunshine drives me crazy. I consider such weather that is above freezing, rainy or sunny, and/or calm winds during the winter to be absolutely terrible, and any sustained summer period that has highs above 80 Fahrenheit I consider to be too hot for comfort.

Too often in Western culture, heat and sunshine is considered the ideal, and is relentlessly promoted and glorified by ordinary people and especially TV personalities. Weather coverage being biased towards promotion of heat and sunshine and opining about how terrible any other kind of weather is is ubiquitous, and is very tiresome, to the point that sometimes I have to turn off my television. Winter weather is routinely bashed, cold and snow lovers are featured early in the season, then pestered with questions regarding the merits of the opposing view (which winter-haters never get), and then disappear from view entirely later in winter. This bias has worsened in recent years, with winter weather described as "warm" 5 years ago now being described as "mild", and 90 and 110 degree Fahrenheit temperatures now being described as "warm", not "hot". Curiously, these views aren't even self-consistent, as cries of "where's summer?" when it is still 80 or higher across most of the U.S., give way to endless coverage of suffering at the hands of heat waves. Apparently no type of summer weather is liked by TV meteorologists, but even this view would be acceptable to me if they did not wish for more heat when it was just a hair cooler. If the TV personalities pr ordinary hold these preferences and expressed them, I would not mind it at all, if they retained the notion that they do not speak for everyone, but only for themselves, and their preferences do not constitute objective truth, and if their coverage was non-biased, and not slanted towards certain views.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,386 times
"Good" weather depends on the time of year. I'd enjoy heavy snow in January, but not in August.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
To me good weather is ALWAYS when it's warm/hot sunny no matter what time of the year. I think seasons are a waste of time.. I wish every day was like the last and like the next... predictability in the weather makes me happy Of course, this is just my opinion and I understand there are people out there that like 4 distinct seasons and lots of snow in the winter

Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,823,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
"Good" weather depends on the time of year. I'd enjoy heavy snow in January, but not in August.
Ditto.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
I'd enjoy heavy snow at any time of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather