Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 PM

88 posts, read 47,116 times

Advertisements

That England is always cold, raining and we only have 3 hot sunny days a year. We do not! Also that we have 4 seasons in one day and that the weather changes by the hour. It does not!!! And that you have to have an umbrella on you at all times. You do not!!!

South east England is also drier than many places in the US, at least when comparing annual rainfall totals anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 03:24 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,223,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burns View Post
That England is always cold, raining and we only have 3 hot sunny days a year. We do not! Also that we have 4 seasons in one day and that the weather changes by the hour. It does not!!! And that you have to have an umbrella on you at all times. You do not!!!

South east England is also drier than many places in the US, at least when comparing annual rainfall totals anyway.
Parts of southeast England only get what 20 or 25 inches of rain a year on average? If that’s true than even Indianapolis gets almost double what the driest parts of the UK get in an average year.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:30 PM

1,503 posts, read 917,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burns View Post

I think part of the reason for the misconception is to do with the high latitude which leads to short winter days with weak sun even if the sky is clear. This makes it feel a lot gloomier than an equivalent lower latitude climate. People associate this gloominess with rain.

Also, the cool weather means the ground, vegetation etc stays wet for a long time after rain. Even a heavy dew on the grass often doesn't dry out by the end of the day in winter and sometimes well into spring.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,527,947 times
The absence of any location with a genuinely hot and sunny summer leads to a lot of invective being tossed at the UK's climate.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:18 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,879,994 times
I used to be all about hot and sunny summers but now my preferences changed for some reason. I don't understand what could possibly be better about 33°C every day in summer than say the comfortably warm and pleasant 23°C of a southern-English summer. Amazingly Sheffield reached 36°C last summer and the air was like soup and it felt crazy even without strong sun, I mean God when you have to work or do much at all anything over 29°C is too much IMO.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:56 PM

13,492 posts, read 9,043,793 times
That the US South is a subtropical paradise, girl those cold nasty ass winters don't be screaming subtropical to me

Old 07-29-2020, 10:44 PM

650 posts, read 451,689 times
"My city in Australia gets to 46C every day in the summer and above 50C for a good amount of time each year as well" There might be a city that gets that hot, but I haven't found it yet.

"Baltimore averages 93F in the summer and has constant heat waves of 110F+"

I don't really see that there, but whatever.

Both are quotes I've heard from people within the while too.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:57 AM

1,228 posts, read 728,659 times
The old 'we get over 50c every summer in my town/farm/mining camp/cattle station....'
Er... no you don't, at least not officially recorded in a WMO ( World Meterological Organization ) sanctioned and approved Stevenson Screen. Yeah, sure, the car thermometer, the box store home weather station, the supermarket thermometer under the shade of the tree or verandah might 'read' +50c.... but hey guys and gals.... that surely aint what the screen temp ( you know, the scientifically calibrated and sited device ) reads....
Dunno how many times I've tried to set the general populace straight re the importance of standardized recordings on Forums, FB pages etc.... its like talking to a brick wall......
Australia has only had 4 recordings since 1910 ( the date when Stevenson Screens came into general use, although some larger cities had these devices 20 to 40 years earlier ) exceeding 50c Wilcannia in Jan 1939 ( although this reading has not, to date, gone through the BOM's strict verification process ), Oodnadatta on consecutive days in Jan 1960, and Mardie in Feb 1998.
The previous record hot day ( 53c ) at Cloncurry in North West Queensland in 1889 has been discounted officially due to the thermometer that day being under a tin roofed verandah sitting in a beer crate. Haha... non standard instrumentation methinks. But try explaining that to the great unwashed who think there is a conspiracy re 'global warming' to re write historical records. Me ? being primarily a stats type guy, I want standardization and accuracy rather than hearsay and myth.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:56 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,464,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
The old 'we get over 50c every summer in my town/farm/mining camp/cattle station....'
Er... no you don't, at least not officially recorded in a WMO ( World Meterological Organization ) sanctioned and approved Stevenson Screen. Yeah, sure, the car thermometer, the box store home weather station, the supermarket thermometer under the shade of the tree or verandah might 'read' +50c.... but hey guys and gals.... that surely aint what the screen temp ( you know, the scientifically calibrated and sited device ) reads....
Dunno how many times I've tried to set the general populace straight re the importance of standardized recordings on Forums, FB pages etc.... its like talking to a brick wall......

Australia has only had 4 recordings since 1910 ( the date when Stevenson Screens came into general use, although some larger cities had these devices 20 to 40 years earlier ) exceeding 50c Wilcannia in Jan 1939 ( although this reading has not, to date, gone through the BOM's strict verification process ), Oodnadatta on consecutive days in Jan 1960, and Mardie in Feb 1998.
The previous record hot day ( 53c ) at Cloncurry in North West Queensland in 1889 has been discounted officially due to the thermometer that day being under a tin roofed verandah sitting in a beer crate. Haha... non standard instrumentation methinks. But try explaining that to the great unwashed who think there is a conspiracy re 'global warming' to re write historical records. Me ? being primarily a stats type guy, I want standardization and accuracy rather than hearsay and myth.

on the bolded. Agree fully.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 137,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
"My city in Australia gets to 46C every day in the summer and above 50C for a good amount of time each year as well" There might be a city that gets that hot, but I haven't found it yet.

"Baltimore averages 93F in the summer and has constant heat waves of 110F+"

I don't really see that there, but whatever.

Both are quotes I've heard from people within the while too.

Baltimore doesn't even average 93F highs in the summer, and 110F is extremely rare. Even 100F is only once a year.

Also, the claim that Colorado is supposed to be cold all the time is often misunderstood. I think people are more often considering the ski resorts (which are indeed cold, usually classifying as Dfc under Köppen), not the cities outside of the mountains where most people live; these get hot summer days.

It's mostly elevation that determines the climate in Colorado. And yes, many locations are quite snowy for their temperatures and total precipitation. You wouldn't expect 0ºC winter averages and 38cm precipitation annually to bring 150cm average snowfall.

Denver at 1600m: 33/16 in summer, 8/-8 in winter - borderline Cfa/Dfa
Ski resort at 3000m: 23/6 in summer, -2/-18 in winter - Dfc
Highest peak, 4400m: 9/0 in summer, -16/-24 in winter - E, extremes are moderated by windy conditions and local microclimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather