Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate The Fictional Climate: Karamay Bay, Land Of The Snow Monsoon
A 1 9.09%
B 3 27.27%
C 3 27.27%
D 3 27.27%
F 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times

Advertisements

Creative climate!

Probably a D, winters are too snowy and summers too hot for me to like living there. I would actually rate it a higher grade if winters were a lot less snowy but summer was the same.

(That's probably the first time I've said that about a climate. Good job)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Interesting comment! I did not know this. I'd assumed steep, shedding roofs were better for snow.
Really, the point is that there's no magic bullet that will make dealing with this amount of snow easy. The vast majority of houses do have metal roofs (some of which don't shed well due to the design of the house), but we're happy with our shingles. I'm a fairly small female and it takes about eight hours to shovel our roof by myself, and I don't have to worry about sliding off the darn thing while I'm up there. And we don't have it crapping snow all over the sidewalk and driveway constantly. We've shoveled it twice so far (with 27 feet of snow in just over two months), and in the record year of 89-90 when this town got 560 inches, it didn't get shoveled at all and is still standing. It is really important to build things sturdily, no matter what kind of roof you have. In contrast to the house, my greenhouse roof does shed, but it's been cold enough and snowy enough this winter that I've also had to shovel that twice, and it's impossible to walk on and dangerous to stand under the eve in case it does let loose. I'd much rather shovel the house.

Last edited by tigre79; 01-31-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather