Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most diverse in climate?
China 24 16.11%
America 113 75.84%
India 7 4.70%
Russia 5 3.36%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:09 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,373,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
You forgot Spain. In Europe, Spain is the most diverse.

Spain has the biggest climate diversity for a country of 500.000km2 range. In Mexico you can put 5 Spains, in Argentina even more, and on US and China... much more.

That map of Spain misses some climates. It's maded by someone called Adam Peterson and it's a own made map. It misses BWk and BWh climates in Spain: (this map is the official from 1971-2000 data)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:O...d_by_AEMET.png

Spain has 14 different climates just in the Iberian Peninsula. If we add the Canary Islands... I think that we can add a couple more of them. Without the Canary Islands is the 6th worldwide.

Still impressive for a country with an extension of just 505.990 km2 (195.364 sq mi).
Spain is certainly diverse among countries of its size, but it definitely doesn't make the cut for the top ten, and we are talking in absolute terms, not relative to the size of a country. Furthermore, I don't think we can make a fair ranking valuing the surface too, as lesser countries will always be advantageous (climates 'repeat' throughout the world).

As I had said, the amount of Köppen types may not be a good method to determine how diverse the climate of the territory is due to the possibility of similar places getting through the thresholds between different types. The map you posted provides a great example. According to the map, the Iberian Peninsulta manages to get all the four B climates. However, three of them are very scarce and casual, so basically we can say it's a single "dry mediterranean" climate what we have there. On the contrary, you can count on Chos Malal as a dry mediterranean climate in Argentina, but then there are absolutely dissimilar places such as La Quiaca, Mina La Casualidad, San Juan and Río Gallegos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,620,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Spain is certainly diverse among countries of its size, but it definitely doesn't make the cut for the top ten, and we are talking in absolute terms, not relative to the size of a country. Furthermore, I don't think we can make a fair ranking valuing the surface too, as lesser countries will always be advantageous (climates 'repeat' throughout the world).

As I had said, the amount of Köppen types may not be a good method to determine how diverse the climate of the territory is due to the possibility of similar places getting through the thresholds between different types. The map you posted provides a great example. According to the map, the Iberian Peninsulta manages to get all the four B climates. However, three of them are very scarce and casual, so basically we can say it's a single "dry mediterranean" climate what we have there. On the contrary, you can count on Chos Malal as a dry mediterranean climate in Argentina, but then there are absolutely dissimilar places such as La Quiaca, Mina La Casualidad, San Juan and Río Gallegos.
I've said that Spain is the most diverse in Europe, not worldwide of course'

But in worldwide terms it enters inside the top 10, probably at the 7-8th place. And it's extension is something bigger than California.

Diversity is what Spain has in big terms. In Almeria province in a 2 hour drive you can be from a desertic beach to a snowy forest at a high altitude mountain, passing by 5-6 different climate ranges on just a 2 hour drive!

Old 12-22-2016, 12:23 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times
Winter temperatures:

China:

Warmest winters: Sanya: average high: 26.1 °C
Coldest winters: Hulunbuir: average high: -19.2 °C
Difference: 45.3 °C

Amer... erhm... the United States:

Warmest winters: Honolulu: 26.7 °C
Coldest winters: Anaktuvuk Pass: -25.6 °C
Difference: 52.3 °C

India:

Warmest winters: Anantapur: 29.6 °C
Coldest winters: Dras: -8.0 °C
Difference: 37.6 °C

(I'm not entirely sure, I'm not an expert in India's climate as I don't check it as often as I do with Argentina, Australia, Chile, USA, Canada, Russia and some others...)

Russia:

Warmest winters: Sochi: 9.6 °C
Coldest winters: Oymyakon: -42.5 °C
Difference: 52.1 °C

The United States win the winter diversity, very close to Russia
I can do the summer one but that needs a bit of research.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Winter temperatures:

China:

India:

(I'm not entirely sure, I'm not an expert in India's climate as I don't check it as often as I do with Argentina, Australia, Chile, USA, Canada, Russia and some others...)

Russia:

No point in counting below -30°C though; it's just more of the same below that.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Winter temperatures:

China:

India:

Russia:

Russia:

Hottest Summer: Astrakhan: 32°C
Coldest Summer: Severnaya Zemlya: 2°C
Difference: 30°C

USA:

Hottest Summer: Death Valley: 46.9°C
Coldest Summer: Mt.Rainier?: 1°C
if you don't count mountain tops it would be Barrow: 8.3°C
Difference: 45.9°C or 38.6°C

Old 12-23-2016, 03:50 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Russia:

Hottest Summer: Astrakhan: 32°C
Coldest Summer: Severnaya Zemlya: 2°C
Difference: 30°C

USA:

Hottest Summer: Death Valley: 46.9°C
Coldest Summer: Mt.Rainier?: 1°C
if you don't count mountain tops it would be Barrow: 8.3°C
Difference: 45.9°C or 38.6°C
The United States win

Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,700 times
1 USA: Tropical in Hawaii and Florida, Arctic in Alaska. Alpine in the Rockies, Desertic in Arizona, Temperate, subtropical, Mediterranean, semi-arid, continetal forests, 50 ° C in Death Valley at -50º C on top of Mount McKinley! From one of the driest places (Death Valley) to one of the wettest of the earth (Maui)!
2 China: from polar climate from Siberia to Equatorial in Hainan! Tropical and temperate forests, cold and hot deserts and the highest mountain ranges complete the landscape! Temperate climate in Beijing, subtropical in Hong Kong!
3 Argentina: from subtropical to sub polar, it is a country of exceptional diversity! Some areas are tropical to the north, temperate in most of the country, subtropical in the steppes, some the driest deserts in the world, the polar climate to the south and the Andes
4 India: Glaciers in the Himalayas, very hot in the southern plains, monsoons command the country's climate, which also has scorching and sandy deserts.
5 Australia: Most desert, in addition to Outback, the country presents subtropical climate in the southeast, Equatorial and tropical in the north, Mediterranean and oceanic in the south.
6 Mexico: Cut by the tropic of cancer, the country has climates ranging from tundras and snow in the mountains, to desertic on the border with the US. Equatorial, tropical climates in Yucatan, Mediterranean in Guadalupe, in addition to subtropical and oceanic
7 Brazil: Traversed by Ecuador in the north and the tropic of capricorn in the south, the humid equatorial forests of the Amazon bloom alongside the dry Sertão, a semi arid area in the country. In the center of the territory, savannas grow in a dry tropical climate, already on the beaches it has a humid tropical climate, in addition to the subtropical and temperate climate in the southern mountains.
8 Russia: The Giant Giant has in the Caucasus region its greatest diversity: semi arid, oceanic and subtropical. Most country and polar, sub polar, between many wet and dry areas.
9 Chile: very narrow, this did not prevent the country from being very diverse: from deserts to glaciers. Also the Mediterranean climate, temperate and alpine in the Andes.
10 Peru: cold in the mountains of the Andes to very rainy and hot in the plains of the Peruvian Amazon. The south coast is the desertic climate, the north coast is tropical dry.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
1. USA
2. China
3. Argentina, come on man how was this not in the poll
4. India
5. Chile/Australia/Perú

Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heberton alkimim View Post
1 USA: Tropical in Hawaii and Florida, Arctic in Alaska. Alpine in the Rockies, Desertic in Arizona, Temperate, subtropical, Mediterranean, semi-arid, continetal forests, 50 ° C in Death Valley at -50º C on top of Mount McKinley! From one of the driest places (Death Valley) to one of the wettest of the earth (Maui)!
What you mean by continental forests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
1. USA
2. China
4. India
5. Chile/Australia/Perú
Sure,Argentina is the most diverse country in the Southern Hemisphere and one of most of the world,in both climate and vegetation.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
1. USA
2. China
4. India
5. Chile/Australia/Perú
Argentina may be diverse for its size, but it isn't really that diverse to deserve a nod globally. It lacks true continental climates. Most of the country is temperate (humid subtropical, Med and oceanic, which don't differ that greatly in temps). The centre is arid/semi-arid and the far south is tundra or subpolar oceanic. It pretty much has three prominent climate zones (B, C & E), unlike China and the US.

Australia is more diverse than India, dare I say. India is mostly tropical savannah and monsoonal, humid subtropical in the top half, cooler humid subtropical in the far north and alpine in the mountains. It has no oceanic, Mediterranean or continental climates. For its large size, it should be really diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather