Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate Brazil's climate
10 0 0%
9 2 16.67%
8 1 8.33%
7 2 16.67%
6 1 8.33%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 3 25.00%
2 1 8.33%
1 2 16.67%
0 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,607,254 times

Advertisements

I could award 6-7 for quite a few Brazilian climates, despite Mediterranean preferences. The Rio experience is a lot more than merely the climate, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,961 times
Hi euclideanspace! im glad you like weather and found this forum. I was in a similar situation last year, checking weather stats about different cities in the world (i ve found that fascinating since i was a child, i dont know why, lol) and found city-data. This place is awesome and people know a lot here! plus, people is very nice in this weather forum! Myself, i know nothing about weather, but i like to share with people and learn. I learned quite a lot since i started posting in this forum a year ago.

About Brasil weather....great description. Brasil is a terrific country (i ve been in Rio and Buzios and i LOVED it!!) but in terms of weather....its not my type of weather AT ALL. Im a mild climate lover, but mostly, im a heat HATER, lol, so i hate the heat, basically. I rather live in a cold-cool all year climate than in a tropical place. I cant stand the heat of my city for 5 months, i cant imagine how would it be to live in a FOREVER summer place. Auch.

So, im sorry, but climate-wise, imo, Brasil is a 1.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,571,919 times
Welcome to the board euclideanspace! Reps for you for your very informative post.

It is hard to rate a whole country, but Brazil would score at least a 7 from me due to mostly warm weather, though some places are cooler/cloudier than others, etc.

However what's interesting for me about Brazil is that it is home to probably my favorite climate in the entire world, namely Natal, Rio Grande do Norte :

Natal, Rio Grande do Norte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with year-round warm/hot weather with a slight winter cool down, abundant sunshine (3000 hours), marked dry, wet and moderately wet seasons, constant daylight, high sun angle (5°S), record low of 15°C just like in my dream climate, coastal location...just PERFECT !

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM

66 posts, read 110,042 times
SophieLL:

Thank you for your warm welcome!
More than 90% of Brazil lies within the tropics with hot climates, however, some of our exceptions (e. g., São Joaquim and Campos do Jordão) have pretty much mild climates, with no blazing heat or freezing cold. But yeah, I'm not a heat fan also, I could surely use much milder summers than those we get here in São Paulo.

dhdh:

Thank you too!
If you like Natal, you would probably also like most of Brazil's north-northeastern coast. See João Pessoa, for example. I, personally, find that climate nice a few times, especially during vacations, to spend the whole day staring at the sea and sipping coconut water, but, out of that I think it is pretty much unbearable to work or study when it is 32°C outside and you have no air-conditioning.

By the way, I find São Paulo too hot when the temperatures are 28°C/19°C or more (the hottest we got this summer was 33°C/23°C). But I do suffer quite a bit to wake up at 5:30 am and take a shower when it is 10°C or less... if I lived in a colder place I probably would need a heating system, I can't even imagine myself taking my early am shower in below freezing temperatures. However, those chilly temperatures are just perfect for sleeping an hour or two more!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,960,566 times
It's definitely hard to lump all of the climates in Brazil into one average rating (so I won't try). I love the heat, but almost all of the climates in the country are wetter then I like. There's is an area in the interior northeast that is one of the few semi-arid parts of the country and I would rate that climate highly but it's an anomaly in that mostly wet country.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times

Some snowfall possible in the south, and it's very wet in most parts of the country with summer storms, which I love, but way too warm and humid with no seasons and in general snowfall is nonexistent in the country.

So overall, some redeeming qualities for sure, but nowhere near ideal.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,430,079 times
Overall its a 6 climate.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 AM

497 posts, read 984,552 times

Sunshine for the whole of the country could be a little higher, but I could accept it. Being in the southern hemisphere, the subtropical temps are good, so I wouldn't be concerned about not having any mediterranean climates.

I think it's important for a large country to have some tropical land mass, but Brazil has so much that it becomes redundant after a while.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:34 AM

41 posts, read 14,985 times
Their borderline tropical and subtropical coasts in their south are not bad compared with other places, summers are not that hot for it's latitude, still, in terms of subtropical Australia's east coast wins easily.
I envy the southern hemisphere for having rainy horse latitudes, in north america almost everything inland above 23N becomes arid or seminarid very fast till you rech the lower 30's.
I will say brazil as a whole is a 4, most of the country has tropical climate, but some mild subtropical climates.
The thing that i really dont like is that brazil doesn't get proper snowfalls in a large area or either have an andes portion, Chile and Argentina have the best climates in the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather