Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 35,665 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I'm about to move to Minot in 1 year and I would like to know about the climate there.

How is the 4 seasons there?

thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Yao View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm about to move to Minot in 1 year and I would like to know about the climate there.

How is the 4 seasons there?

thank you so much
I live in the Grand Forks ND area and I am a meteorologist (Weather forecaster) and I have in-laws in Minot and go there frequently.

Here is a link to all the weather stats for Minot in terms of averages, etc over the past many many years.

MINOT EXPERIMENT STN, ND - Climate Summary

In summary...

Our part of the country is the land of extremes and highly changeable/variable weather from season to season.

Some winters can have prolonged very cold and snowy weather while some winters like the last one were unusually mild with little snow. Same for the other seasons....you will find quite a variation day to day many times.

The idea of cold weather how cold is cold is so variable I have found out person to person. Some people, like myself, can tolerate cold well, others cannot.

But in general, expect the typical winter season to run Nov 15 to March 15 in most years. During this time period, snow is pretty common, though heavy snowfalls are pretty rare. But due to cold weather and below freezing temps snow often doesnt melt in most winters so you have a continuous snow cover from about Thanksgiving to Dec 1st.... until about mid March.

Temperatures...below zero readings can occur anytime from Thanksgiving to early March and are pretty common. They can occur earlier and later as well but less common. Christmas to Valentines Day is the typical coldest part of the winter....with lows 10 to 25 below and highs zero to 15 above very normal. These are in degrees Farenheit. A few periods of very cold weather can occur with lows -30 or lower, though not all winters have this. You can have above freezing days in winter as well, but they are bonus days when you can wear a light jacket.

The wind is the biggest factor in the Dakotas as it is always a factor. Blowing snow can occur, and is a problem outside of town in low visbility, but in town it is less so. Winds can drift the snow though into large piles at times. Wind chills on rare occasions get to -40F or lower but on most days the wind does add a bit to the air, even on mild days.

On very cold weather days, often you have a deep blue sky and the snow is dry and fluffy. We dont have a lot of melt-freeze-melt cycles so ice isnt a huge huge issue....more snow packed roads. Sand and a salt/sand mix is used often on roads for traction and the roads are plowed. So travel in town is usually not too bad, except immediately after a snow event before the plows get out.

I consider the warm season to begin around Mother's Day the lasts until Labor Day. Yes 90s will occur every year....and a few 95+ readings, but long stretches of this heat is not common and often followed by a cold front which will drop temps to the 70s for highs. Overnight lows in the warm season are most often 55 to 65. There can be muggy/humid periods in the mid June to mid August period....but those dont last too long either. Sunshine is abundant in the summer, though you can have thunderstorms at times.

The spring and fall periods are often short and variable year to year. Some years wet and cloudy and others drier and sunnier.

--Dan

Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I live in the Grand Forks ND area and I am a meteorologist (Weather forecaster) and I have in-laws in Minot and go there frequently.

Here is a link to all the weather stats for Minot in terms of averages, etc over the past many many years.

MINOT EXPERIMENT STN, ND - Climate Summary

In summary...

Our part of the country is the land of extremes and highly changeable/variable weather from season to season.

Some winters can have prolonged very cold and snowy weather while some winters like the last one were unusually mild with little snow. Same for the other seasons....you will find quite a variation day to day many times.

The idea of cold weather how cold is cold is so variable I have found out person to person. Some people, like myself, can tolerate cold well, others cannot.

But in general, expect the typical winter season to run Nov 15 to March 15 in most years. During this time period, snow is pretty common, though heavy snowfalls are pretty rare. But due to cold weather and below freezing temps snow often doesnt melt in most winters so you have a continuous snow cover from about Thanksgiving to Dec 1st.... until about mid March.

Temperatures...below zero readings can occur anytime from Thanksgiving to early March and are pretty common. They can occur earlier and later as well but less common. Christmas to Valentines Day is the typical coldest part of the winter....with lows 10 to 25 below and highs zero to 15 above very normal. These are in degrees Farenheit. A few periods of very cold weather can occur with lows -30 or lower, though not all winters have this. You can have above freezing days in winter as well, but they are bonus days when you can wear a light jacket.

The wind is the biggest factor in the Dakotas as it is always a factor. Blowing snow can occur, and is a problem outside of town in low visbility, but in town it is less so. Winds can drift the snow though into large piles at times. Wind chills on rare occasions get to -40F or lower but on most days the wind does add a bit to the air, even on mild days.

On very cold weather days, often you have a deep blue sky and the snow is dry and fluffy. We dont have a lot of melt-freeze-melt cycles so ice isnt a huge huge issue....more snow packed roads. Sand and a salt/sand mix is used often on roads for traction and the roads are plowed. So travel in town is usually not too bad, except immediately after a snow event before the plows get out.

I consider the warm season to begin around Mother's Day the lasts until Labor Day. Yes 90s will occur every year....and a few 95+ readings, but long stretches of this heat is not common and often followed by a cold front which will drop temps to the 70s for highs. Overnight lows in the warm season are most often 55 to 65. There can be muggy/humid periods in the mid June to mid August period....but those dont last too long either. Sunshine is abundant in the summer, though you can have thunderstorms at times.

The spring and fall periods are often short and variable year to year. Some years wet and cloudy and others drier and sunnier.

--Dan
Thanks Dan for your very detail and helpful answer. )
I now live in Vietnam with a hot weather so I have no idea if I can tolerate cold well or not hihi...but i will prepare myself for that...

How about the floods? When i google about Minot City, I read some information about a serious flood in 2011. I kind of wonder whether floods is a regular occurrence there.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I now live in Vietnam with a hot weather so I have no idea if I can tolerate cold well or not hihi...but i will prepare myself for that...

How about the floods? When i google about Minot City, I read some information about a serious flood in 2011. I kind of wonder whether floods is a regular occurrence there.
No, flooding is not a regular occurrence. The last river flood was in 1969 before 2011. Most of the city of Minot was not impacted by the flood as the city is spread out on the North Hill and South Hill with the central parts of the city down in the river valley along the Mouse (Souris). Unfortunately the 2011 flood was quite devastating to the homes along the river and many were destroyed. But in terms of living there....I wouldnt worried about flooding.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:

If you arrive first in the warmer time of the year, then you will have to adjust. Your not going to walk to places much in winter.....so unless you have an outside job (which you dont) you will not be outdoors all that much. So impact will be less than you think.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
I remember they showed Minot on national tv last spring. The flooding was quite bad as they showed entire streets under water.

Climate wise, not as cool as further north. January average around 20f while July is about 85f.

I am further north in Winnipeg, and Minot gets much more warmer days then us.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
I remember they showed Minot on national tv last spring. The flooding was quite bad as they showed entire streets under water.

Climate wise, not as cool as further north. January average around 20f while July is about 85f.

I am further north in Winnipeg, and Minot gets much more warmer days then us.
Quote:
If you arrive first in the warmer time of the year, then you will have to adjust. Your not going to walk to places much in winter.....so unless you have an outside job (which you dont) you will not be outdoors all that much. So impact will be less than you think.
Quote:
No, flooding is not a regular occurrence. The last river flood was in 1969 before 2011. Most of the city of Minot was not impacted by the flood as the city is spread out on the North Hill and South Hill with the central parts of the city down in the river valley along the Mouse (Souris). Unfortunately the 2011 flood was quite devastating to the homes along the river and many were destroyed. But in terms of living there....I wouldnt worried about flooding.

If the visa interview goes well, I will be in Minot in September so i think i will have enough time to adapt with a new environment.

Since Dan said that the flood is not a regular event, i feel a bit secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather